2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Low Beams on with High Beams

Old 12-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Low Beams on with High Beams

While waiting to take delivery of my Fit Sport, I was wondering about the headlights... Specifically, when you turn on the high beams, do the low beams stay illuminated or do they turn off? My Acura TL did this, and I'm pretty sure my sister's Accord does this as well. When i first realized it, I thought it was a great idea that all cars should employ as it really improves visibility. I was wondering if the Fit followed suit.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:53 PM
All vehicles that I've owned switch off the low beam bulb/filament when the high beams are on.

While it may sound counter-intuitive, more light doesn't necessarily mean better visibilty. In the conditions when the high beams are on, you want to see far down the road. Bright light close to the car from low beams or fog lights can make your pupils smaller and thus reduce your distance vision and sensitivity to more dimly lit areas far in front of the vehicle.

In addition, if you're travelling more that 50 mph or so, anything you're seeing with the low-beam illumination is likely too close to react to. It's likely with that near-fieled illumination, drivers will spend more time focussing attention on this well-lit region (which is kinda useless information if it's too late to react) instead of looking far enough ahead to be able to change course in time.

This is also one argument against the drop-in HID kits: more light and what seems like better illumination and a more comfortable/safe illumination, may in fact be working against safety and visibility.

Last edited by txmatt; 12-14-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:38 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IVTEC
While waiting to take delivery of my Fit Sport, I was wondering about the headlights... Specifically, when you turn on the high beams, do the low beams stay illuminated or do they turn off? My Acura TL did this, and I'm pretty sure my sister's Accord does this as well. When i first realized it, I thought it was a great idea that all cars should employ as it really improves visibility. I was wondering if the Fit followed suit.

the Fits low beams turn off when high beams are
turned on. on one bulb set up this is how it's going
to be.
the cars u listed have 4 bulbs. 2 low 2 high.
the Fit has only 2 bulbs total doing high and low. (dual filament bulb)

Old 12-14-2009, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Although it's possible to force both filaments to be powered at the same time on some cars, I would worry that the combined heat output could damage the plastic headlight housing.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
All vehicles that I've owned switch off the low beam bulb/filament when the high beams are on.

While it may sound counter-intuitive, more light doesn't necessarily mean better visibilty. In the conditions when the high beams are on, you want to see far down the road. Bright light close to the car from low beams or fog lights can make your pupils smaller and thus reduce your distance vision and sensitivity to more dimly lit areas far in front of the vehicle.

In addition, if you're travelling more that 50 mph or so, anything you're seeing with the low-beam illumination is likely too close to react to. It's likely with that near-fieled illumination, drivers will spend more time focussing attention on this well-lit region (which is kinda useless information if it's too late to react) instead of looking far enough ahead to be able to change course in time.

This is also one argument against the drop-in HID kits: more light and what seems like better illumination and a more comfortable/safe illumination, may in fact be working against safety and visibility.
Agreed... simply based upon the fact I wrote this post at almost the same time... Scary...

~SB

Old 12-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by IVTEC
I agree, I miss this feature on my CL type S. My TSX also has this feature too. I like the combination of HID of the low beams and the halogen beam of the high beams create a nice easy light up close and far away. Makes the road and beyond light up really well.
I do notice when I turn on the Fit's high beams the area closer to the front of the car is not lit up very well. I too think it was a nice feature that honda should have kept up with all their models.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
I agree, I miss this feature on my CL type S. My TSX also has this feature too. I like the combination of HID of the low beams and the halogen beam of the high beams create a nice easy light up close and far away. Makes the road and beyond light up really well.
I do notice when I turn on the Fit's high beams the area closer to the front of the car is not lit up very well. I too think it was a nice feature that honda should have kept up with all their models.
I learned to actually dislike this feature in my integra. With 4 physical lights across the front, the integra wouldn't drop out the lows when the Highs were turned on. I found that when driving my wife's civic, I could see further with civic's Highs (same bulb as fit) than I could with my integra's 4 beams on. The Foreground was too well lit.

~SB

Old 12-15-2009, 06:02 AM
Originally Posted by specboy
I learned to actually dislike this feature in my integra. With 4 physical lights across the front, the integra wouldn't drop out the lows when the Highs were turned on. I found that when driving my wife's civic, I could see further with civic's Highs (same bulb as fit) than I could with my integra's 4 beams on. The Foreground was too well lit.

~SB
I guess everyone has their own preferences.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Projector headlights

I just saw projector headlight for GE8 both on eBay and FitFreak. The seller on FitFreak Offers me one month money back guaranty. The projector headlights have low beams separate from high beams (the same as 8th Generation Civic). I like the idea to have low beams on while high beams on. I even consider upgrading bulbs to 6000K HID.

08 09 HONDA FIT JAZZ GE R8 LED HALO PROJECTOR HEADLIGHT:eBay Motors (item 200421524531 end time Jan-04-10 06:01:41 PST)

08 09 HONDA FIT JAZZ GE R8 LED BLK PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS:eBay Motors (item 200421579551 end time Jan-04-10 11:01:07 PST)

Old 12-25-2009, 10:18 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITMugen
I just saw projector headlight for GE8 both on eBay and FitFreak. The seller on FitFreak Offers me one month money back guaranty. The projector headlights have low beams separate from high beams (the same as 8th Generation Civic). I like the idea to have low beams on while high beams on. I even consider upgrading bulbs to 6000K HID.

08 09 HONDA FIT JAZZ GE R8 LED HALO PROJECTOR HEADLIGHT:eBay Motors (item 200421524531 end time Jan-04-10 06:01:41 PST)

08 09 HONDA FIT JAZZ GE R8 LED BLK PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS:eBay Motors (item 200421579551 end time Jan-04-10 11:01:07 PST)

Nice find on the lights but you better call them and
make sure they are for USDM GE8 cause to me from
the pics of the cars bumper it looks JDM. WE all know
JDM doesn't work on our cars that is unless you did
a full JDM conversion on your front end.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
Projector headlights

Yes, the seller already confirmed. They are for 09/10 USDM GE8 Honda FIT. They come with 30 days no question ask guaranty even I don't like them.

I intend to connect angle eyes to parking lights and LED as DRL. I know for sure that DRL on the dashboard will turn on since my current HID/9003 Bi-Xenon acts like this. To resolve the issue, I will connect LED as URL. So will correct DRL warning.

I will convert both high/low beams to HID after I get the light aiming correct.