Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Left low and high beam light are off and DRL is On

Old 11-21-2014, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
Left low and high beam light are off and DRL is On

Hi,

The low (when standard lights are turned off) and high beam light on left front are not working. When car is turned on and lights off the DRL warning sign shows up. Any way I can fix this by myself? I've seen videos where people take out the electric board corresponding to DRL and solder the defect contacts. Do you think it applies here? I'm suspecting I washed the car with bucket and shortly after went for ride.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-21-2014, 11:06 PM
I highly doubt your car washing is related to the problem. Cars get driven through driving rainstorms all the time and work fine. Sometimes two unrelated things just happen one right after the other.

What do you mean by "low (when standard lights are turned off)"—are you referring to the DRL system? The DRLs use the high beam filaments at a reduced power. If that and the high beams are not working for the left headlight, but the usual low beam headlight is, the most likely cause is simply that the high beam filament in the bulb has burned out, in which case the fix is very simple—replace the headlight bulbs. (You may as well replace both, since the right one is likely near the end of its life, though it's not absolutely essential to do so.)

If the right light is working properly, you don't have anything to repair with the DRL system. There's not really much that goes wrong with this system (that I'm aware of) on the Fit, anyhow; it's certainly not a common trouble spot.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:06 AM
5 Year Member
You could also switch the two bulbs to make sure your wiring is OK. Then go buy new bulbs.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks, I didn't realize the DRLs use the high beam filaments at a reduced power. This is helpful. I'll also replace the right and left high beam headlights to verify it is not an electric problem. Cheers