2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i put hids for my fogs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Its also illegal in some states to lower your vehicle, get an exhaust, or tint windows to a certain percentage. But we still do it and most of the times we don't get hassled for it on here or by law enforcement, mainly because its not affecting anybody. But these kits blind innocent civilians, and reduce street visibility. The officer stood 6 feet in front of that guys car that was towed and his face lit up blue. Ridiculous.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:52 PM
If you cannot afford a retrofit, then stick with the stock bulbs. I can't believe how selfish people can be. Putting other peoples lives in jeopardy so they can pretend they have HID's. I'm embarassed to group myself with Fit owners that have this mentality.

If you are not willing to educate yourself on this topic and understand the whole reason why this is illegal, then you have no right to comment on what you think about them.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by baylorbro
Yeah, but everyone does it...

If everyone jumped off a cliff would you too?

Don't follow the crowd on this, it attracts unwanted attention and glares badly. And looks ricey IMHO. Maybe some Yellow fogs or stick with HID looking halogens.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
I do understand that projectors are not cheap to retrofit (except the screw in type) but that's the reason I still run halogen. If whiteness is critical to you just run some silverstars. If you have trouble seeing at night see an eye doctor or buy the projectors see the doctor especially if you are like some users who live in an area that has bright city lights anyway. If you want to be cool just stick on some led strips or something of that nature. HID lights are cool but respect comes from the work and coordination that goes into a good retrofit. To your credit some OEM projectors just suck, like the ones in the escalade.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:42 PM
The reason the escalade projectors suck is cause they put them so high, and if you aim them lower then you lose distance. The projectors are good but they were mounted waaay too high.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
LED Fogs FTW!
Plus since LED's put off very little heat I put 3M clear bra on my fogs to protect them. Can't even see the clear bra can you?

I would like to hear more about the LED's in the fogs, where you got them, and how they are compared to the stock halogens.

back to the thread tie in........

it is blinding to me when oncoming has non retrofit HID's. Sometimes I slow down actually as I am loosing orientation with the road.

What the Audi engineer said (taking it further) The real future is LED, 3, 5, 10 years and they will change the face of cars with amazing design opportunities.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:14 PM
I agree about LED's being the future. They last way longer than any bulb, and are very efficient. The SST-90 bulb is in a couple of high end flashlights that can produce 2500+ lumens for about an hour on batteries! That's way brighter than any headlight. Check out the O-light SR90 to see what LEDs can do.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tork
I would like to hear more about the LED's in the fogs, where you got them, and how they are compared to the stock halogens.

back to the thread tie in........

it is blinding to me when oncoming has non retrofit HID's. Sometimes I slow down actually as I am loosing orientation with the road.

What the Audi engineer said (taking it further) The real future is LED, 3, 5, 10 years and they will change the face of cars with amazing design opportunities.
I got them from here.
Fog Running Light LEDs

They are just as bright as the halogens and last a lot longer. I've had mine in for almost a year with no problems what so ever.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I do understand that projectors are not cheap to retrofit (except the screw in type) but that's the reason I still run halogen. If whiteness is critical to you just run some silverstars. If you have trouble seeing at night see an eye doctor or buy the projectors see the doctor especially if you are like some users who live in an area that has bright city lights anyway. If you want to be cool just stick on some led strips or something of that nature. HID lights are cool but respect comes from the work and coordination that goes into a good retrofit. To your credit some OEM projectors just suck, like the ones in the escalade.
The worst is here in VT (or any other non-lit place) where there is absolutely no "glow" from a nearby city. When I was in NJ, it was never actually Dark because of the glow from all of the lights in the suburbs of NYC. Here in VT, it is Dark at night and when some Idiot with his Scion XB comes humming down the road with his $30 HID's in, it's almost impossible to see anything. It's like flicking on the light switch in the morning after you wake up... not good.

Not only do improperly installed HID's limit the visibility of others, it limits your own visibility as it lights up things that shouldn't be well lit, like road signs that just reflect the light back at your eyes. your pupils constrict when they should dilate so... you see less... but you can say you spent more to see less.

Lighting is all about quality and accuracy of the lights, not about quantity. A well placed light is more important than huge amounts. This is why projectors are so effective. Imagine if Bono (on stage) was lit up by flood lights instead of a spot light. No one would be able to see him because you wouldn't be able to see really anything. A Spot light does the trick better, with less light output.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 02-09-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:22 PM
i likey those led foggies!
retrofit ftw! currently build a set from tsx projectors.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
The worst is here in VT (or any other non-lit place) where there is absolutely no "glow" from a nearby city. When I was in NJ, it was never actually Dark because of the glow from all of the lights in the suburbs of NYC. Here in VT, it is Dark at night and when some Idiot with his Scion XB comes humming down the road with his $30 HID's in, it's almost impossible to see anything. It's like flicking on the light switch in the morning after you wake up... not good.

Not only do improperly installed HID's limit the visibility of others, it limits your own visibility as it lights up things that shouldn't be well lit, like road signs that just reflect the light back at your eyes. your pupils constrict when they should dilate so... you see less... but you can say you spent more to see less.

Lighting is all about quality and accuracy of the lights, not about quantity. A well placed light is more important than huge amounts. This is why projectors are so effective. Imagine if Bono (on stage) was lit up by flood lights instead of a spot light. No one would be able to see him because you wouldn't be able to see really anything. A Spot light does the trick better, with less light output.

~SB
That pretty much sums it up. Great post.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:08 PM
i have 6k hid in the headlight but the fogs i have 3k yellow bulbs i had a bad experience with my old car with hid in the fogs the hid actually cracked the fog so i rather go with bulbs

Old 02-14-2010, 01:32 PM
There's no reason a xenon bulb would crack a fog light lens. They run cooler than a halogen filament. Putting a xenon bulb in a reflector housing is a very bad idea, but it will not crack the lens. Most likely it was hit by a rock or other debris in the road.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Yes it was cracked by the heat of the hid first it was turning brown than it crack this happ on 2 sets of fogs. Now I go bulbs in the fogs....

Old 02-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Ok read closely. HID lights are bulbs. They use a xenon gas instead of a filament like the halogen bulbs. They are both called bulbs. Xenon bulbs (HID) put off less heat than a halogen filament. If it cracked due to heat then there is another problem going on, or your plug and play kit was defective.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:37 PM
This provides good information about different types of lighting.

The Great Internet Light Bulb Book, Part I

Old 02-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Ok read closely. HID lights are bulbs. They use a xenon gas instead of a filament like the halogen bulbs. They are both called bulbs. Xenon bulbs (HID) put off less heat than a halogen filament. If it cracked due to heat then there is another problem going on, or your plug and play kit was defective.
It's no much to do with gas. HID uses electric arc to generate light and regular bulb uses filament. Xenon (reaches full brightness the fastest) is the best gas for HID, other gases can be used in a HID too.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
It's not much to do with gas. HID uses electric arc to generate light and regular bulb uses filament. Xenon (reaches full brightness the fastest and color) is the best gas for HID, other gases can be used in a HID too. A filament bulb can also use gas to enhance its light output.

Last edited by Ein; 02-14-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
If you can't see anything from your fogs try aiming them first. It's a 10mm screw to remove the fog, and a Philips screwdriver to adjust. The fogs were horribly out of aim from the factory along with the headlights. Half an hour and a blank wall fixed both problems.

If you want brighter fogs, get some European bulbs like Osram Silverstars, Nightbreakers or Philips X-treme Powers. We have the X-treme Powers in the headlights, and they made a noticeable difference. They're not blue-tinted and short-lived, like the Silverstars available on US soil.