2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volume Nob jumps volume around

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Volume Nob jumps volume around

More recently my volume nob will encounter these issues... Like, I'll go to turn it down and instead it will jump up 10+ or tweak around to different levels. I find this to be more and more constant, the nob having about 50% control of where the volume actually ends up.

Anyone else had any issues like this? I'm not sure what I should do. I'm out of warranty so I'm guessing I'll have to pay for a fix...

Thanks

Old 02-14-2010, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SCBarren
More recently my volume nob will encounter these issues... Like, I'll go to turn it down and instead it will jump up 10+ or tweak around to different levels. I find this to be more and more constant, the nob having about 50% control of where the volume actually ends up.

Anyone else had any issues like this? I'm not sure what I should do. I'm out of warranty so I'm guessing I'll have to pay for a fix...

Thanks
I have experience with pro audio gear. Sounds like a volume pot that has either gotten some dust in it, or mild corrosion. With pro gear usually a few squirts of pot cleaner (i call it dust eater) will correct the issue. However, I can't recommend you do that with the Fit's audio unit. I don't know what it looks like in there... if you can actually get to it, or if the unit even has anything resembling the type of "pots" I'm referring to.

Still, sounds exactly like dust-in-volume-pot problems I've encountered in the past. Could be a bad solder joint from the factory that's just now rearing it's head.

You could always just replace the unit with a single or double DIN unit of your choice, with a lot more quality and features.

Maybe someone with more knowledge with the unit can help. Otherwise, good luck.

BTW, I would be curious to know what the problem was, if you ever get it resolved without replacing the unit. Please post the problem and the solution if possible.

Thanks

Old 02-14-2010, 11:16 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
looks like you need to go to the dealer. warranty

Old 02-14-2010, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by niko3257
looks like you need to go to the dealer. warranty
... I'm out of warranty so I'm guessing I'll have to pay for a fix...

Thanks
ten characters

Old 02-14-2010, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
I have experience with pro audio gear. Sounds like a volume pot that has either gotten some dust in it, or mild corrosion. With pro gear usually a few squirts of pot cleaner (i call it dust eater) will correct the issue. However, I can't recommend you do that with the Fit's audio unit. I don't know what it looks like in there... if you can actually get to it, or if the unit even has anything resembling the type of "pots" I'm referring to.

Still, sounds exactly like dust-in-volume-pot problems I've encountered in the past. Could be a bad solder joint from the factory that's just now rearing it's head.

You could always just replace the unit with a single or double DIN unit of your choice, with a lot more quality and features.

Maybe someone with more knowledge with the unit can help. Otherwise, good luck.

BTW, I would be curious to know what the problem was, if you ever get it resolved without replacing the unit. Please post the problem and the solution if possible.

Thanks
I suspect it's a digital control sending a binary serial input to whatever the thing has for a brain. It controls everything, so it's not going to have a pot behind it. I'd try a "hard boot." Disconnect the battery (edit: better yet, pull the radio fuse), let the power drain (wait 10 minutes). Reconnect. Make sure you have the radio code.

If that fails I'd be looking at crutchfield before asking the dealer for help on an out of warranty head.

Last edited by Steve244; 02-14-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:04 PM

Thanks
Ask the dealer how much to look at it. When they diagnose a bad audio unit ask for goodwill assistance. Even if the assistance is a minimal amount (sometimes 1%), it allows you to get 99% of a lower warranty price. They may offer as much as full coverage, your dealer is key in this.

If the dealer does not get you any help escalate it politely to 800 999 1009 (Honda Customer Care), if they ask you where you got the number it is in your owners manual. Request assistance, it might take a couple of days.

As usual, your mileage may vary.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
How can you possibly be out of warranty? You drove how many miles on a Ge8 already?!?

Old 02-15-2010, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
I suspect it's a digital control sending a binary serial input to whatever the thing has for a brain. It controls everything, so it's not going to have a pot behind it. If that fails I'd be looking at crutchfield before asking the dealer for help on an out of warranty head.
Yeah, although it describes the behavior almost perfectly, it was a serious shot in the dark on my part. I replaced the factory audio in my wife's car (the unit wasn't exactly an older unit). After removing the unit I checked it out. To my surprise it actually had a few old-style pots and contacts which, had accumulated decent amounts of dust, even though the unit was closed fairly well... with the exception of some venting.

The unit had a digital readout, etc. Still, the inner build was a strange mix of digital and analog.

Like I said, I haven't been into any of the Fit units, so I had no clue what to expect. Although the non-navi model has a fairly huge volume knob!

My electronics tech. still uses pure alcohol and spray solvents on all electronics every now and then to, as he puts it, help keep them in a "clean, pure and healthy" state. Even his computers get taken apart once a year and cleaned... some boards are even dipped if they are dusty or coated enough. (He's a pretty consistent smoker)

Old 02-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by justintime
How can you possibly be out of warranty? You drove how many miles on a Ge8 already?!?

About 52k.

I drive a lot AND I've done my fair share of road trips and extended drives... It adds up I guess :P.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll check out the dealer since I need the MPG update anyways.

This can just become super annoying if I need to turn down my volume fast and instead it blasts way louder.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
About 52k.

I drive a lot AND I've done my fair share of road trips and extended drives... It adds up I guess :P.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll check out the dealer since I need the MPG update anyways.

This can just become super annoying if I need to turn down my volume fast and instead it blasts way louder.
Do any of the other adjustments behave erratically with the knob? (tuning, bass/treble/balance etc).

Does it do this all the time or only when you're moving (could be "speed sensitive volume" function related). If only when you're moving try disabling the speed sensitive volume. (edit, don't think this changes the volume setting number so doubt this is it)

I still recommend popping the fuse and waiting a few minutes before putting it back in (need the radio code for this). I bet that's the first thing the service dept tries. They might also have a secret key combo that resets it to factory defaults.

Last edited by Steve244; 02-16-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
Talk to your dealer and ask whether Honda would cover it under warrantly REGARDLESS. They are known to do this every now and then, especially for defects like this which are not mileage dependent, but rather time dependent. No reason why that radio should fail within a year or so, regardless of how far you've driven.

About 52k.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Ok, so i've pulled the fuse to no avail. It didn't even reset my radio...

I'm not aware how to disconnect my battery so I haven't touched it.

Hopefully I'll be going to a dealer sometime soon when I find time. If anyone has a safe and easy way to disconnect the battery I'd love to give it a try.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Ok, so i've pulled the fuse to no avail. It didn't even reset my radio...

I'm not aware how to disconnect my battery so I haven't touched it.

Hopefully I'll be going to a dealer sometime soon when I find time. If anyone has a safe and easy way to disconnect the battery I'd love to give it a try.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Any updates on this by any chance? I have a 2009 Honda Fit Sport with more than 100K miles and my radio just started doing this. Strangely enough, it only seems to happen when I'm playing a CD, and not when using the radio of the AUX jack.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
Same question. I'm having issues on my 2012 doing this.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone have a solution to this issue?
Mine started doing it about a month ago...very irritating!

Old 07-23-2018, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by steve37
Anyone have a solution to this issue?
Mine started doing it about a month ago...very irritating!
I use the steering wheel button instead but if you don't have one you can try kinda pulling out on the knob a little when you turn it. It helps with mine. If not that then maybe push it in a little then turn it.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolNat
I use the steering wheel button instead but if you don't have one you can try kinda pulling out on the knob a little when you turn it. It helps with mine. If not that then maybe push it in a little then turn it.
Thanks....I drove it about an hour today and tried pushing in while turning it. So far, it's working right!
Just have to form a habit of doing it that way.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolNat
Originally Posted by steve37
Thanks....I drove it about an hour today and tried pushing in while turning it. So far, it's working right!
Just have to form a habit of doing it that way.
You guys need a GF.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
You guys need a GF.

Pay attention...we're talking about the radio volume knob...not your GF and your shift knob!