2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Ford Fiesta, a Fit Killer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Happy for you

Originally Posted by splat matt
I was looking a the 2010 Fit Sport and the 2011 Fiesta. After driving both of them I honestly cannot see why all the hype is on the Fiesta. I felt claustrophobic the whole time driving it. The Ford salesman at Krieger Ford in Columbus, OH was a complete a$$. He could not find a M/T for me to test-drive. Then the first car he gave me the keys for only had 12 miles of gas left according to the gauge! The second car he gave me was still on E but said there was 32 miles left in the tank. First off my head kept hitting the headliner and the engine sounded like there was a hole in the exhaust with how loud it was. Then the A/T just shifted weird all through-out the drive; always shifting late and kind of sluggish. My last complaint was the Ford SYNC premium sound sounded horrible, lacked warmth and bass (not a bass freak and generally don't complain when their is a lack of it).

The Fit looked better, was much quieter the interior while hard plastic just looked better especially the dash gauges, radio & air conditioning console. Not to mention the visibility and headroom was very spacious. Plus, I wouldn't change a thing with oem 6 speaker sound system by Honda.

So today I took delivery on my 2010 Fit Sport and tried out the storage by going to COSTCO and wow! Now I'm coming from driving a maxima fully loaded and I enjoy the Honda Fit so much more and will love the savings at the pump! This is my first honda car and my only regret is not buying one sooner.
I'm happy for you and your new Fit Sport. I have two, '08, and '09. Both are great cars but different from each other. I liked the Fiesta look and "promise" but have never ridden in one... maybe some day. Can I ask you how much the car cost with the COSTCO deal... out the door with taxes, etc. ?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
the difference is that the Fiesta feels like a cheap econobox... the Fit does'nt feel even close to that!

Old 02-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Last time I looked at a costco deal for a honda fit it only was a savings of 500 dollars off of retail and I know I could negotiate a better price than that, but that just may be the costco near me.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:33 PM
I recently bought my fit...like 2 weeks ago. A big turn off on the fiesta was the price. All of the ones that even had the same options as the fit sport was another $1-2k. The fiesta didnt seem as nice or half as fun as the fit is to drive. I have been seeing alot more mazda 2s then fiestas where I live too.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by aldar
I'm sorry wilcoholic but reliability is like Gravity, it's not something that you can just believe in, it's a proven fact.

2010 10Best Cars - 10Best Cars - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

you'll find the Honda Fit in there...
not to mention....

Fit v Fiesta v Mazda2 Car and Driver Comparison

original article

10 best list, 2011...now 5 years running.

Last edited by BVictor; 02-17-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by einstein77
I'm happy for you and your new Fit Sport. I have two, '08, and '09. Both are great cars but different from each other. I liked the Fiesta look and "promise" but have never ridden in one... maybe some day. Can I ask you how much the car cost with the COSTCO deal... out the door with taxes, etc. ?
2010 Honda Fit Sport M/T

15893 for the car - 607 Dest Fee - 250 Doc Fee (typical in OH) - apx 1130.63 tax = 17880.63 OTD

Old 02-17-2011, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
I saw a fiesta on the highway today. Needless to say I reminded the fiesta of it's place.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
I have been struggling with this question, as I am looking at getting rid of my current car in favor of something that gets better gas mileage. Having driven a 2011 Fiesta and a few 2010 Fit Sports, I have to say the build quality in the Fiesta is very nice. The handling is nice and tight. On the other hand, visibility is horrid out the back, and I have one simple requirement for any car: it has to hold two sets of golf clubs, me, and my fiancée. The Fiesta falls flat there. Despite feeling like a slightly higher-scale car, the Fiesta just isn't practical for daily use. I might as well buy a Miata.

I have read a lot of reviews to date that say similar things. They are all true, but the difference isn't that great. The Fit handles well. I might see myself beefing up the sway bars someday if a kit was available from a good, reputable supplier that really engineered it well and put a lot of time into it. The Fiesta comes with two more crank hp -- that's not enough to even CARE about. I like the shifter in the Fit with a manual transmission. It could use a stiffer bushing in it, but that's my only complaint. Again, easily rectified.

As far as the interior, even if it is built well, the Fiesta looks a bit schizophrenic. A Christmas tree looks plain in comparison. The Fit, I say, looks a bit drab on the dash, but I don't really care too much. It makes sense, and I can see myself getting used to where everything is so I can adjust the heater without taking my eyes off the road.

The Fit is a better value overall in my opinion. You get the Sport, and you get all the options I need -- keyless entry, a spoiler to give it a nicer profile, cruise control, and USB input. To get cruise and a USB input in a Fiesta, you're springing for literally EVERY OTHER OPTION Ford equips a Fiesta SE with.

The final deciding matter was Ford had to lie about offering 0% financing to get me in their dealership. They flat-out told me it wasn't available, even if I qualified (which would be no problem). Honda's dealership is closing out their 2010 stock at 0.9%, and they are willing to put a really good deal together to get rid of their last 2010 Fit. Apparently people who they attract don't like rowing their own gears.

I'm going back to the Honda dealership tomorrow. Hopefully they like the idea of getting out of their "hard to sell" stick-equipped car and buying my old "entry-level sport car" at a good deal.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:12 PM
E B
fiesta puts me to sleep. Could have been nice though

Old 02-20-2011, 08:13 PM
After looking at the Fiesta at the Auto show yesterday, I can officially say I am not a fan. I personally didn't like the interior at all. The lime-green model they had with the color match dash kit looked terrible. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't even want to take one for a drive. Looks alone did it for me.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:49 AM
My buddy is buying a Fiesta with an auto, so we'll see about the real world mileage. My car is rated at 35 mpg and I've never gotten 35, even when the car was new on a road trip it got 36.5 mpg and I've gotten as high as 43 mpg, so we'll see what it really gets

As far as looks go, well, that's opinion but I think both cars look good!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:19 AM
I would certainly prefer Ford Fiesta. It has better mileage and riding pleasure as compared to Fit killer. Moreover, it is also more stylish.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shyna
I would certainly prefer Ford Fiesta. It has better mileage and riding pleasure as compared to Fit killer. Moreover, it is also more stylish.
Then hop your ass off here and go post in a fiesta forum.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by honda2112
Then hop your ass off here and go post in a fiesta forum.
Don't feed the troll...

The Fiesta...meh, it's alright; it looks good from the front, but the rear is terrible (hatchback version). It is certainly the most compelling product that Ford has put out in many years for me, Mustang nonwithstanding, but it still falls way short of the Fit. I sat in one at the Philly Auto Show this year...interior materials are nice enough, but not as robust as those on the Fit...the interior has kind of a "tinny" feel to it. In addition, I am not a fan of the steering wheel and the overall layout of the controls is incredibly unintuitive. That, and the fact that rear passenger and cargo capacity is sorely lacking makes the car completely impractical for many.

kobudo: I might as well buy a Miata.
I agree wholeheartedly. And the Miata would be MUCH more fun to drive.

Last edited by MikePDaTruth; 02-21-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by MikePDaTruth
Don't feed the troll...

The Fiesta...meh, it's alright; it looks good from the front, but the rear is terrible (hatchback version). It is certainly the most compelling product that Ford has put out in many years for me, Mustang nonwithstanding, but it still falls way short of the Fit. I sat in one at the Philly Auto Show this year...interior materials are nice enough, but not as robust as those on the Fit...the interior has kind of a "tinny" feel to it. In addition, I am not a fan of the steering wheel and the overall layout of the controls is incredibly unintuitive. That, and the fact that rear passenger and cargo capacity is sorely lacking makes the car completely impractical for many.

I agree wholeheartedly. And the Miata would be MUCH more fun to drive.
It seems like a nice enough little car. The uncomfortable truth these days is that most cars are pretty good. The Fit is impractical for many. So is a Suburban. I'm still really glad this segment is filling with so many competent cars - It could still be the Aspire and Echo here, and the Fit would be the unmitigated champ... and Honda would have no reason to improve it in the next generation.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Good points Occam. I'm not saying the Fiesta was terrible...I would certainly rather have a Fiesta over something like a Toyota Yaris or Nissan Versa. It just doesn't have that high-quality feel that the Fit has.

The uncomfortable truth these days is that most cars are pretty good.
Except this:

Old 02-21-2011, 01:21 PM
I just traded off my 2010 F250 Lariat turbo diesel on a Honda Fit.

I looked at the fiesta, and even the focus ... but Ford is just asking too much for their econo-Fords.

when they put this 21 grand sticker price on an optioned out fiesta? do they think Im insane ?

I really like my Honda, and one of the things I like most about it is that its not a Ford.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:27 PM
it is crazy that all optioned out that a fiesta can cost more than $21,000.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tj Rand
it is crazy that all optioned out that a fiesta can cost more than $21,000.
"Options" don't really mean a whole lot of anything.

If they had optioned for the Fit...

Leather seats (some dealers do though)
Moon roof (again)
8-way, full lumbar, heated with 3 memory settable selections seats
dual angle DVD navigation (as in, driver sees one thing, passenger sees something else)
Full "racing" spec suspension
and so on... anything can cost a LOT more.

Which is why reviews then to limit their comments sometimes to "comparably equipped."

Old 02-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
"Options" don't really mean a whole lot of anything.

If they had optioned for the Fit...

Leather seats (some dealers do though)
Moon roof (again)
8-way, full lumbar, heated with 3 memory settable selections seats
dual angle DVD navigation (as in, driver sees one thing, passenger sees something else)
Full "racing" spec suspension
and so on... anything can cost a LOT more.

Which is why reviews then to limit their comments sometimes to "comparably equipped."
Heck, even with just Honda OEM stuff, the mugen kit really adds up. Just adding accessories on honda's Build Your Own section, I got up to $28,250.

Quick Reply: Ford Fiesta, a Fit Killer?