2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight Start-Up Hesitation After Sitting For 8 Hours

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Yes they are and not only that they have the best Hockey team.

Go HABS!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't think Hab fans were allowed into Ontario.

It was an awesome series. Sid the Kid next. I'm hoping for an all Canadian matchup like the good old days.

Back in the early 60's when I started watching hockey, my father was into the Leafs. Nobody was allowed to chear for the Habs. My favourite team was the Bruins, although my favourite player was Dave Keon.

I did follow the Canucks when they were in the WHL.

Anyway, I may get banned for not staying on topic.

My Fit starts up fine. A little too fine, as it starts up before I turn the key to the "all the way" position. Scares me sometimes. Must be the Royal Purple 5W20 I put into the motor, LOL.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
i'd like to see the final 4 teams be all from the original 6.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
Uh Oh.......... Canadians talking hockey. We're gonna get banned, I tells ya.

Canada Gold medal wins were epic. Womens and mens, both. Our city will never be the same again.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:24 PM
I seem to be having this issue as well. I would refer to it as an "out of sync" feeling in the crank. Can anyone relate to this?

Old 04-30-2010, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Could be a leaking down injector. My fit does the same thing, and my second oil sample did not show a decrease in fuel in the oil from the break in sample. It is a concern for me.

I have been running some injector cleaner and will sample again at the next oil change.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:47 AM
5 Year Member
I am confirming that my car does this too. And waiting for the fuel pump to power up doesn't seem to make any difference.

I wonder what the real explanation may be. I don't think it's battery related because the engine turns fine. I think it has something to do with fuel and the spark... maybe some of it is being delayed depending on how the engine was last stopped. I mean maybe the 3 cylinders need to turn before one that will fire with actually get to TDC...?

Old 05-01-2010, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mugen666
I didn't think Hab fans were allowed into Ontario.

It was an awesome series. Sid the Kid next. I'm hoping for an all Canadian matchup like the good old days.

Back in the early 60's when I started watching hockey, my father was into the Leafs. Nobody was allowed to chear for the Habs. My favourite team was the Bruins, although my favourite player was Dave Keon.

I did follow the Canucks when they were in the WHL.

Anyway, I may get banned for not staying on topic.

My Fit starts up fine. A little too fine, as it starts up before I turn the key to the "all the way" position. Scares me sometimes. Must be the Royal Purple 5W20 I put into the motor, LOL.
I have been a diehard Habs fan in Ont since the early 50s. I was taken to the Forum to see Howe et all vs the ROcket and the rest of that power house.

p,s, I was Fitting last night and forgot to check to see if it delayed on startup. I do know at 130km the HKS is sounding better.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:11 PM
If the fuel pressure regulator leaks down(overnight) it will extend start time. The fuel pump in my Toyota doesn't come on until the starter circuit is triggered. So I wouldn't worry to much, just a characteristic of newer vehicles.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by beangrower
yup. every now and then. weksos battery? i dunno.
I'd say it's a weak battery too.

I do wait for the fuel pump to do its thing before cranking.

On my GD my old battery (this was my second one) lasted a month short of three years. I decided to replace it already because it was beginning to have trouble cranking, and it was becoming more and more consistent.

Maybe it's time to test the battery's charge level. My two cents.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:04 AM
I'd like to add to my previous input on this issue and state that rarely this issue is accompanied by an immediate post-turnover engine rev. I don't know what is happening...thinking about talking to the dealership. The next few days I may just try to videotape the startups if I can remember.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:49 AM
If you have ignition issues that exist during certain conditions I'd suggest to look into the distributor cap and rotor. If ANY moisture or dirt get in there, they can cause temperamental issues.

The rotor inside the distributor is probably not worn down yet being that these cars are relatively new, but it could be an issue.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:23 PM
I called my local Honda service center (not the dealership I bought my car from) and of course they know nothing of any recurring themes in Fits that describe this issue. Re-creating the problem on-site may be an issue if I ever choose to because I'd have to let the car sit with them for a good amount of time...not sure what else to do from this point forward. The car starts fine...just an annoyance I guess.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by truth
If you have ignition issues that exist during certain conditions I'd suggest to look into the distributor cap and rotor. If ANY moisture or dirt get in there, they can cause temperamental issues.

The rotor inside the distributor is probably not worn down yet being that these cars are relatively new, but it could be an issue.
Direct ignition i.e. Coil-packs. Not distributors. Im pretty sure honda did away with those on all their engines after 2000. Anyways, ive been having this issue as well. Usually the first time i start the car for the day. Funny how this wasnt an issue 5 thousand miles ago.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Yup, just noticed it a few days ago, after the car had been sitting for a few days (I work from home, so the FIT isn't driven every day)...I noticed it takes a little longer to crank, maybe an extra second or two.

I had issues with my last car that had me trade it in with only 7300 miles and 10 months of ownership. I'm a little gun shy now, hoping this doesn't turn into a major issue.

Please keep us all posted!

Old 05-20-2010, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not too concerned but I'll add my Fit to this list. Same thing. I've always let the fuel pump do it's thing first. Didn't start until I had about 8000 miles on it. Usually happens after sitting over night but happened once after sitting 8 hours at work.
I will add that of the 9 vehicles I've purchased new over the years...this is the first new car I've owned that didn't start on the first try.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:27 PM
I asked this earlier...I am randomly getting a post-turnover high RPM rev that seems inappropriately high. Is anyone else experiencing this? I don't mean to go off-topic but perhaps it's related?

Old 05-20-2010, 06:02 PM
I've noticed my 2010 Silver Sport MT has it's own characteristic start-up. Much different from the 2007 YARIS. That ignition is automatic. Twitch the key to start and it takes over. Release the key immediately, in any weather the ignition initiates the start for you. No false starts.

Good advice on the 'on key' initialization. Good for any system as a rule. Like said it's buckle up time - mirror check - time to go. Not sure on the crank # but will. K_C_