2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

USDM vs EDM Headlight Quality

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
Question USDM vs EDM Headlight Quality

When I had my PT Cruiser, a lot of owners felt that the North American headlights were good, but the European headlights were even better. I've sold my PT Cruiser and ordered a Fit.

Seeing members talk about the less-than-impressive Fit headlight quality, it makes me wonder if the Euro Jazz headlights are A) the same physical headlamp as the U.S. models and B) if their reflectors have a better light pattern for LH-drive models compared to what we get here. Apparently Euro spec headlights are legal in Canada, which is one avenue to find them if they're desirable.

Any ideas?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
IMO, it's not the headlights, but the fact that they tend to be poorly aimed from the factory (my high beams were pointed at the ground in front of the car). A few minutes at night on a level road with a wrench or a screwdriver and I'm quite happy with the headlamps now.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by BraytonAK
When I had my PT Cruiser, a lot of owners felt that the North American headlights were good, but the European headlights were even better. I've sold my PT Cruiser and ordered a Fit.

Seeing members talk about the less-than-impressive Fit headlight quality, it makes me wonder if the Euro Jazz headlights are A) the same physical headlamp as the U.S. models and B) if their reflectors have a better light pattern for LH-drive models compared to what we get here. Apparently Euro spec headlights are legal in Canada, which is one avenue to find them if they're desirable.

Any ideas?
Never been a topic that I've seen. I think most complaints about the headlights have been about the stock bulbs not the housing. Just switch out the bulbs for some Silvania Silverstars or some sort of upgraded bulb and you will probably be happy. I have the Phillips Crystal Vision bulbs and they work great for an halogen (A lot better than the stock bulbs). Now if you want the ultimate lighting and $$ is no object then I would go with a custom projector headlight housing and HID's.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-retrofit.html

Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
To answer question A)...the EDM headlights will not fit on a USDM Fit. They have different headlights, fenders, hood and bumpers. You'd need to do a full conversion and that gets expensive.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
To answer question A)...the EDM headlights will not fit on a USDM Fit. They have different headlights, fenders, hood and bumpers. You'd need to do a full conversion and that gets expensive.
yea like what i did LOL

Old 05-05-2010, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
I found the Fit's headlights to be wonderful, especially for an economy car. My previous car was a 1988, and I was shocked how much better the new technology is. The old car was downright scary at night in the rain.

It would be interesting to know if the Euro market lights are any different.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
The e-code lights will be made out of glass (afaik), and have the wrong beam pattern for our roads unless you find some German ones. They might be aimable though. Can anyone confirm that?

Old 05-06-2010, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
But they WILL NOT fit on our USDM cars without also buying new hood, fenders, bumper, and also supports I believe.

Lilaznphatboy did it for looks and JDM mystique, no doubt...and yeah, it looks awesome but it is pricey. Not worth it IMO if your only aim is to improve the headlights.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
But they WILL NOT fit on our USDM cars without also buying new hood, fenders, bumper, and also supports I believe.

Lilaznphatboy did it for looks and JDM mystique, no doubt...and yeah, it looks awesome but it is pricey. Not worth it IMO if your only aim is to improve the headlights.
thats the only reason y i did it LOL....