2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

so i'm shopping for a hitch at etrailer and...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
so i'm shopping for a hitch at etrailer and...

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find it in search. But what's the difference between the Hidden Hitch brand and Drawtite. They both look exactly the same. The hidden brand is 20.00 more though.

Honda Fit Custom Fit Trailer Hitch - 2009 | etrailer.com

Old 05-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by conecrazy
I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find it in search. But what's the difference between the Hidden Hitch brand and Drawtite. They both look exactly the same. The hidden brand is 20.00 more though.

Honda Fit Custom Fit Trailer Hitch - 2009 | etrailer.com

As far as I know...nothing. Just the name.
I have the Drawtite..and love it.
Here is my DIY when I bought mine...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post611620

Also here is an installation video...
http://www.etrailer.com/tv-Hitch-ins...Honda-Fit.aspx

Last edited by Committobefit08; 05-18-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:39 PM
I also bought the Draw-Tite from etrailer...hoping to DIY install it this week. I will be using the hitch for hauling my bicycles.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info. Yeah my plans for the hitch is also for hauling bikes. Any know what how much weight has to be on the back before the back of the car starts to sag?

What I mean by that is, on my old Pathfinder, 4 bikes on the hitch carrier was enough to sag the back of the truck. The weight of the bikes I would say ranged anywhere from 25lbs to a 16lbs CF bike.

I'm thinking of getting this carrier

It weighs at approx 42 lbs. I'm thinking with two bikes on there, it will be enough to cause the back end to sag. Which I'm assuming also means be extra careful of driveways.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Some where in this forum I just read that in the UK - where there's no restriction on towing w/ a FIT apparently the tongue weight is listed at 150#.?...!

In my minds eye that's really brave. I would keep it under 50# based on my experience in towing stuff w/ small cars. Think of it, you're talking about two bicycles. As long as you're not carrying a load of cargo you should not have a problem.

Tongue weight does not include the weight of the hitch, just what you hook up to it. In Europe it is quite common to see small cars pulling small trailers. It only makes sense. State side it's all about pick-ups and boat trailers.

It is only a compact 4 door hatchback. So keep it real and enjoy the versatility ot a FIT_K_C_

Edit - You are on point w/ drive ways. That hitch is hanging under a close to the ground car - take care.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:55 AM
My Fit is lowered (which means my spring rate is about 15% stiffer). I notice my rear drops a little but by no means...dangerously I have never rubbed. I can tell when the bikes are on the back but only because of the wind resistance. It shouldn't hurt to have 3 bikes on the back. I usually have 2 heavy mountain bikes and have no problem. My bike rack raises 2" so I have that added safety from scraping on steep driveways.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 05-25-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
I just received my Curt trailer hitch today- I'll install it this weekend and provide a comparison to the DrawTite/Hidden Hitch. I've put hitches various cars of mine in the past, all class 2 hitches. This is my first class 1 and I'm interested to see how robust the moorings are for the hitch compared to those for a larger car.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by phogroian
I just received my Curt trailer hitch today- I'll install it this weekend and provide a comparison to the DrawTite/Hidden Hitch. I've put hitches various cars of mine in the past, all class 2 hitches. This is my first class 1 and I'm interested to see how robust the moorings are for the hitch compared to those for a larger car.
You'll see a big difference. The hardware on a FIT hitch is strong - what you fasten it to is sheet metal. It's obviously light duty - bikes is cool. Though I have seen ref to 150#tongue weight in the UK on these cars...

I've run class 1 hitches for years to haul around a little 4x6 trailer I built 15yrs ago. Smallest car I put it one on was an Eagle Summit. Never questioned the installations. Tongue weight was stated @ 50#max. Never pulled over 600#Gross.

Took a close look at the FIT and I'm deciding not to install a hitch. Ground clearance is the biggest concern to me. For my purpose the strength issue is not of concern. If I only wanted to haul bikes I would stick 'em inside.

You want to see something scary look at a Yaris hitch install. Interested in hearing back from you on this one.
K_C_

Old 05-25-2010, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
Here's the Curt hitch. It attaches to the frame rails left and right at the bumper junction, and at the pan in the center (drilling, I suspect).
Name:  100_0129.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  118.3 KB

Old 05-25-2010, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Here's my trusty 1977 Holsclaw dirt bike trailer, to which I added decking and sides about 12 years ago. That's a 1975 Dart in front of it, still going strong after 35 years, as I hope my Fit will.
Name:  100_0133.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  119.7 KB

Old 05-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by phogroian
Here's the Curt hitch. It attaches to the frame rails left and right at the bumper junction, and at the pan in the center (drilling, I suspect).
How about that - a three point hitch for a FIT. Looks like it'll hang low. . . PIC when installed??

i can't touch it_ K_C_

Old 05-25-2010, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
crazy. so does that have a higher tongue weight?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
I'll do a step by step installation this weekend. The hitch (#11064) claims 2,000 lbs. trailer weight and 200 lbs. tongue weight, but really, the load should be under half of that. My trailer has puny 8" rims, weighs 300 lbs, is meant for carrying bulky/messy loads rather than heavy ones. When loaded correctly, it has very little tongue weight. Great for carrying drywall/lumber/mulch etc. I once pulled a 650 lb motorcycle with it 300 miles at highway speeds, but that was with a tank of a Buick (1990 Park Avenue). I once towed a 1965 Plymouth Valiant home with a tow dolly attached to that car.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
I just got my Draw-tite. It's still in the box I have to find the time to put it in (probably not this month). Also the rack is on the way. Will post pics once everything is mounted.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
Other posts are all positive concerning the DrawTite and Hidden Hitch models- I'm sure you will be satisfied. I finished my Curt hitch installation, notes and photos are here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...h-install.html

Old 06-18-2010, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
I installed the hitch. But I have to get trade the bike rack in. Softride doesn't recommend using it on a class 1 hitch. I will have to opt for a lighter weight one like one of the Kuats whoa is me....

Old 06-18-2010, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
this Swagman carries 2 bikes and works on the 1 1/4 class 1 hitch. weighs 35 lbs.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...bike-rack.html

Old 06-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by conecrazy
I installed the hitch. But I have to get trade the bike rack in. Softride doesn't recommend using it on a class 1 hitch. I will have to opt for a lighter weight one like one of the Kuats whoa is me....
What sort of weight are we talking about. I've never heard of a bike rack that wont fit a class "A" hitch????

EDIT: Which Softride you have?

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 06-18-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
They don't recommend using it on a hitch with a tongue weight rating of just 200 lbs. They say get class II and up.

The swagman is nice but my bike frame is weird shaped. the part that clamps on the toptube wouldn't work out for my bike.

Krimson, the Softride rack I have is the Versa 2. It waighs about 40 lbs. Not really too bad for a platform kind.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:40 PM
conecrazy - would you still hesitate if you had the Curt hitch? Being 3-point I would think it would work fine.

I see that Softride says no class 1 receivers, but 1-1/4" mount is a 1-1/4" mount... that 3-point system would prevent it twisting off, I mean it's only a bicycle.

Tongue weight is a characteristic of the vehicle. Even though the hitch is rated it's at a maximum - not necessarily what your car will handle. I have a feeling the FIT would be rated @ somewhere around 100#'s if it were rated in the USA, which it isn't.

Tongue weight is the vertical force pressing down on the hitch ball under loaded conditions. Has every thing to do with load distribution on a single axle trailer.

Curious to know what other rack mfg's have to say. Keep us informed.

Quick Reply: so i'm shopping for a hitch at etrailer and...