2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Armrest Center Console for 2010 Fit Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
Armrest Center Console for 2010 Fit Manual Transmission

Does anyone know whether there is an armrest center console that is compatible with a manual transmission? The official Honda website as well as most dealers who sell them have the disclaimer: Not compatible with MT. It's interesting because the installation instructions pdf has a description about how to remove the shift knob for MT before installing the center console.

I wouldn't mind an after market one if it fits and functions well.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 AM
shujis,

From my understanding, this verbiage is in place to limit liability.

That being said, I have a very, very hard time understanding what sort of handicap would lead to the armrest interfering with shifting. I have no problems whatsoever, and drive around with the armrest in place (not up).

My wife was hesitant given the price, but now that we have it installed, she loves it.

Look around the forums here for tips on installing it. Here are my thoughts:
  • Stuff rags in crevices. Losing a bolt under the carpet is a PITA. Easy enough to pull up the carpet, but far more effort than sticking a few rags in the cracks.
  • Loosening the e-brake was necessary for me, and we still had to firmly hold down the bracket when starting that bolt.
  • 3mm ~= 1/8", 8mm ~= 5/16", 20mm ~= 3/4"
  • You don't need a hole saw. I just used a 3/4" spade drill bit.
  • Collegehillshonda has a video of the process, helpful to check it out to get a feel before you being. http://www.diyhonda.com/podcasts/epi...it_armrest.wmv

Old 06-08-2010, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
you can install the oem optional one with a manual, like stated above they are just putting up that warning to limit liability. It works perfectly fine.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
The instructions that came with my OEM armrest stated that if car has a MT, you have to unscrew the shift knob, so they obviously intended it to be used with them.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
I have the honda oem "leather" arm rest on a MT and it works great. I don't know how I ever drove without it

Old 07-18-2010, 05:55 AM
Okay I installed a OEM armrest/center console on our JDM Jazz a few weeks ago and it's fine. You can't really slide it forward and use the e-brake comfortably but that's a minor thing. All else is sweet as and there's heaps of elbow room for changing gears.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. I did put in the armrest, having have to retrieve a bolt from under the carpet during the procedure. I then started stuffing cloths to prevent it from falling in again (thanks Bowkr). It took some time to install, but was doable.

The armrest does NOT get in the way of any MT operations, neither does it interfere with the hand break, though I do not keep it extended. I do find that the storage space is tiny and shallow, so if one is looking for extra storage, this isn't the solution.

All in all, it is a very comfortable armrest indeed, and it feels solid and looks good. Not much of a storage expander, but in a tiny car like the FIT, we have to make the compromise somewhere.