2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Honda Fit - New Info

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
Overall, VSA prevents larger cars from rolling over, thereby decreasing the potential for a fatal injury. As far as claiming that other people on the road rely on it and whatnot; I'm not really with you on that one. If anything, it's the overall performance specs of cars these days, and the stupidity of the drivers.

The horsepower and vehicle technology wars have put a LOT of dumbasses in a rocket. I see clueless looking women driving 335is left and right around here. That's a serious effing car, capable of getting anyone short of being a really great driver into a lot of trouble; vsa engaged or not.

To add to that, I just think people are becoming worse drivers all the time due to a number of societal factors. Gabbing on cell phones, txting, slurping down tons of caffeine to keep up with their busy lives, of which they are constantly speeding around in traffic to accommodate - all the while, some are filled with road rage from being tweaked out on sugar, and experiencing sleep deficit due to playing Xbox til 3am every night. Kinda makes sense when you look at the big picture. haha /rant

Old 08-17-2010, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
my thoughts exactly. recently ive become more and more of a nissan fan.
Nissan sports cars are expensive (gtr and 370z) they don't offer than honda in the sub 30k$ range.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
To add to that, I just think people are becoming worse drivers all the time due to a number of societal factors. Gabbing on cell phones, txting, slurping down tons of caffeine to keep up with their busy lives, of which they are constantly speeding around in traffic to accommodate - all the while, some are filled with road rage from being tweaked out on sugar, and experiencing sleep deficit due to playing Xbox til 3am every night. Kinda makes sense when you look at the big picture. haha /rant
I want to add, there are also some plainly "un-properly educated drivers" out there. I mean, they never learned the rules and common sense ideas about the road and things that can happen.

Take my nephew for example. When he lane changes, he uses the "if I can see them in the mirror" rule. The problem is, he's not using the (more) CORRECT version, "if I can see them in my CENTER rearview mirror". So when he lane changes, he judges based on the side mirror, and ends up cutting WAY too close to other cars. We were traveling in a group of cars, he and I were driving two separate vehicles and that's what he did to me. All I could think was, "I'm gonna smack this boy upside the head when we stop." I didn't, at least, not physically.

There was something else he did, though I don't remember what it actually was, I remember that he did it because I, and other older family also did it. It was something fairly simple, that he made MUCH more dangerous because he didn't look BEFORE doing it. I think it might've been turning right on a red. You can imagine how pissed I was, sitting in the car, when he did that with cars STILL approaching.

Another example of "common sense"... Your direction of travel is opposite of the cars parked on both sides of the road, you get to a traffic light controlled intersection, but there's no lights facing you. I understand there are assholes that don't care about one-ways... but what do you say to the people that are sitting at the intersection facing the wrong way on a one-way, WAITING for "their" green light?!? Oh, in this particular intersection, there are TWO one-way signs (one on each side of the road) that are plain as day, if the driver would just look to the left or the right while "waiting."

Some of the same people that buy Volvo for its "safe" reputation, but drive it stupidly. I suppose it would "help" in a case of an accident, but really, the driver probably could avoid getting t-boned by a semi if the just didn't run the red light in the first place.

Last edited by Goobers; 08-17-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
I've owned a few cars with traction/stability control systems. And I can totally relate to those that have had the system actually work AGAINST them, in certain situations. (i.e. pulling out on gravel/snow covered roads). However, it really depends on the trac/vsa system. On my older 4Runner (2002), the trac system was HORRIBLE. Had countless times where I was crawling across the road with traffic coming at me both ways. Got rid of that thing after a year. However, the newer Toyota's SUV's had much better/aggressive trac systems where that has not been an issue. My current Toyota SUV has had no problems with this (although it's full-time 4WD) and friend's newer gen 4Runners also has not had this issue. I am hoping it's the same thing for the new Fits.

I think it's a great system and the stats support it. Some say it's the best safety innovation since seat belts.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Thumbs down Yes...

Originally Posted by drfranklin
For those that think that ESC is not needed on this car, see the EURONCAP video testing the Fit with and without ESC:

YouTube - Euro NCAP | Honda Jazz | 2009 | ESC test

The difference is quite dramatic. Without ESC, the Fit loses directional control and nearly rolls over.
It ALMOST rolls over...but doesn't...how much extra would you have to pay for this feature...reminds me of when front wheel drive cars were new on the market (yes I am old) and some weenie floored the accelerator then turned the wheel all the way to the left and then let the wheel go to show how unsafe they were.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cgpEJ6
I wonder how MSRP will be affected.
I was thinking the same thing, probably shouldn't go up that much.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Maybe i should have waited for that vsa and floor mats.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by red600
I wish Honda would make LSD standard on the fit instead of VSA.
Now THAT would make the car safer. You could take a trip and never leave the garage!

Old 08-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by hayden
Glad they upped the content. VSA comes standard on it's competition.
....especially when the competition is thousands less too, not to mention a package tray for the back, standard on the Fiesta costing waaaaay less and you've gotta pay $120 to get one on this car, shouldn't that be vise versa

The t/c makes sense as standard and I could never understand why t/c and nav were tied together, goofy!

Old 08-30-2010, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neoprag
I'm quite surprised that Bang & Olufsen sound system doesn't come standard on the base model.
Is that the maker of the system on the Sport & Navi models?

Old 08-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Klasse Act
....especially when the competition is thousands less too, not to mention a package tray for the back, standard on the Fiesta costing waaaaay less and you've gotta pay $120 to get one on this car, shouldn't that be vise versa

The t/c makes sense as standard and I could never understand why t/c and nav were tied together, goofy!
Isn't t/c going to be a required standard on new autos, or am I experiencing a laps in logic...

Old 08-30-2010, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neoprag
I'm quite surprised that Bang & Olufsen sound system doesn't come standard on the base model.
Originally Posted by sooznd
Is that the maker of the system on the Sport & Navi models?
I think he was being sarcastic.

Bang & Olufsen is very high end and thus only (or usually) found in very high end cars.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by drfranklin
New info for the 2011 Honda Fit (via vtec.com website):

Now standard for the Fit Sport:

• Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) (previously available only on Navigation-equipped models)
• Floor mats (previously an accessory option on all trims)
Interesting, I hope they make the same changes for Canadian models.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
VSA works great on the Fit. We do a lot of night driving long distance out in the country. Wait until you have to swerve to avoid some critter that ambles out onto the road. I know the VSA computer can think faster than I can (and it has). You steer, it cuts power, the ABS pump runs, it does its thing, and you're good to go. No drama. Guess that makes me one of the poor drivers some of you write about. I'd never buy another car without it, though.

When the snow is deep, turn it off.

Cheers.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shora
I think he was being sarcastic.

Bang & Olufsen is very high end and thus only (or usually) found in very high end cars.

I remember B &O used to be very high end a long time ago, but I have not kept up with stereo equipment, so not aware if it still is. I thought they could be making some mass produced cheapie audio systems for cars now. Who does manufacture the audio system in the Fit? Is it the same manufacturer for all models?

Last edited by sooznd; 09-08-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Consumer Reports on Stability Control

Wow, I'm surprised to learn how many people don't seem to appreciate the importance of stability control. According to Consumer Reports, stability control is the most important safety feature behind seatbelts and can save up to 10,000 lives. Consumer Reports made a couple of videos demonstrating the effectiveness of stability control:
  1. Consumer Reports Video Hub - Cars - Safety - Stability Control
  2. Consumer Reports Video Hub - Cars - Safety - Safety Features
5th Gear also made a video demonstrating the effectiveness of stability control:Please watch these videos and share your opinion, thanks.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
I remember B &O used to be very high end a long time ago, but I have not kept up with stereo equipment, so not aware if it still is. I thought they could be making some mass produced cheapie audio systems for cars now. Who does manufacture the audio system in the Fit? Is it the same manufacturer for all models?
The current audio system for the Fit (GE8) is made by Alpine, at least the HU is. The parts list it shows:

Base & Sport
TUNER ASSY. (41WX4) (ALPINE) (FOR WARRANTY REPAIR, REFER TO S/B 06-001/PIB:A06-0001)

Navi
NAVIGATION UNIT (AVN-DVD)(COO) (ALPINE) (FOR WARRANTY REPAIR, REFER TOS/B 06-001) (SUPERCEDED)
replaced by:
NAVIGATION UNIT (AVN-DVD)(COO) (ALPINE)
39540-TK6-305ZA vs 39540-TK6-315ZA

Old 09-11-2010, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit.sport
Wow, I'm surprised to learn how many people don't seem to appreciate the importance of stability control.
When I was in high school 45 years ago it was seat belt use that was controversial: "What's the matter? Do you think we're going to crash?" Many thought it was better to be ejected than it was to stay with the vehicle.

VSA is the current new thing. Some of the posts in the forum seem to imply that good or skillful drivers don't need it.

I say everyone who thinks it isn't necessary should go test drive a car with it installed and swerve on dry pavement. It takes all the drama out of emergency maneuvers. You steer, it does the rest.

Cheers.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:36 PM
I agree,

I've been putting off buying a new Fit Sport because of Honda Canada's inexcusable decision to not offer stability control here in Canada. I've sent them countless emails in the hope that I can get through to these guys on how important stability control is, especially in winter. If you want stability control, let Honda Canada know about it!

Take care.

Last edited by fit.sport; 09-11-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-11-2010, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
I had traction control on my 04 BMW 330XI, I never used it once, with that said I wouldn't mind having it on my car. When I purchased my car a little over 4 weeks ago I didn't know vsa would be standard on the 2011's, there were probably rumors of it though. Anyways if VSA means alot to you then you should wait and get a 2011, but if it's not that important to you then I would shop around get a killer deal and buy a 2010, before the price goes up and the incentives go away.

Quick Reply: 2011 Honda Fit - New Info