2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the once GD, now GE owners?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:42 PM
For the once GD, now GE owners?

My question is simple actually! For those that owned a GD first and now have a GE, please explain the differences, likes and dislikes!

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2010, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
My parents, whom I convinced to get the Fit, owned the GD and now the GE. They like everything better in the GE, including the looks. Mileage is too close to compare. Both are ATs.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
^im pretty sure there are threads out there with this topic.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Fitcious
^im pretty sure there are threads out there with this topic.
I'm sure there are similar posts but not the easiest topic to search for. I just went through 150 posts with the search word of "owners" and found....nada....thanks for your reply.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
For me, I have the GE 5MT but have driven the GD many times. The only thing I may prefer from the GD is the steering, sharper go-kart-like turn in, and braking power. The steering had a little more heft off center with a tad more natural feel. Yet the GE has more on-center feel which is great for highway driving. Evading potholes with the GD was more a matter of thought than will. The GE isn't quite as good, yet still stellar. The GD's braking had much more friction and bite, while the GE's require too much effort with long distances.

Other than that and overall I prefer the GE and absolutely love it.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member
Agree with the steering assessment - GD seemed to steer like a go-kart, GE seems to have matured a bit and toned things down for the grown-ups. I actually find myself altering my driving habits because of the instantaneous MPG display in the GE. I love the GE's in-dash cup-holders, I hate the console cup-holders under the dash. I occasionally miss having refresh mode. I dislike the GE's acre of dashboard and the monstrous windshield - can't find a cheap sunshade that fits and the dash heats up enough to create its own micro-climate. I liked the dot on the Fit logo of the GD. I like the dead-pedal on the GE. Can't remember if the GD had it, but I like the auto-up feature on the GE driver window. I was originally thrilled about having an armrest on my GE, but now find myself flipping it up most of the time. I liked the radio/climate control layout on the GD better than the GE.

Pretty much every difference I noticed from one to the other was minor (ok, the steering was a biggie, really liked throwing the GD around...), but as a whole, I'm quite happy with my GE.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:04 AM
5 Year Member
On another forum a guy that got a new GE after his GD was totaled has said that he wish he was still driving the GD.... I am crazy about driving and working on my GD but the GEs are really nice to look at... It's hard to look at your car when you are behind the wheel so I won't be trading.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
On another forum a guy that got a new GE after his GD was totaled has said that he wish he was still driving the GD.... I am crazy about driving and working on my GD but the GEs are really nice to look at... It's hard to look at your car when you are behind the wheel so I won't be trading.
You sound like my wife when the talk gets around to wheels. "You can't see them when you are driving so why change them".

But with the GE you do see people with jaw dropping around you as you pull up to them.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
You sound like my wife when the talk gets around to wheels. "You can't see them when you are driving so why change them".

But with the GE you do see people with jaw dropping around you as you pull up to them.
Better fuel economy which means more money saved for Jewelry; "see honey... it really is a win/win situation... oh and it's also better for the environment... you do want to be environmentally conscious don't you?"

~SB

Old 09-17-2010, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr

Could it be that people's jaws are dropping because an old rascally looking fellow like yourself is sitting behind the wheel of such a tastefully tricked out car.... You are the kind of person the would be referred to as "a character" in these parts.... It takes one to know one.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
12 CUP HOLDERS IN THE GE!!!!!!!!!!
Thats what I'm talking about.......................

Old 09-17-2010, 01:33 PM
my sister has GD. its been a while since ive driven it, but from what i remember, it seems to have much more nippy handling (in a good way).... despite all the literature saying the GE suspension has been "improved".

everything else i prefer GE

Old 09-17-2010, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Better fuel economy which means more money saved for Jewelry; "see honey... it really is a win/win situation... oh and it's also better for the environment... you do want to be environmentally conscious don't you?"

~SB

"Good for environment" - going to throw that one at her. Thanks

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Could it be that people's jaws are dropping because an old rascally looking fellow like yourself is sitting behind the wheel of such a tastefully tricked out car.... You are the kind of person the would be referred to as "a character" in these parts.... It takes one to know one.
Funny how the D in L said more or less the same thing. Old fart lowers his dark tinted windows to reveal old grey haired fart with the tunes blasting. Then wife pipes up you have to see his blue interior lights under the dash and keyring etc etc. It never ends.

I love my third or is it fourth childhood. The toys get bigger and more expensive.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by davela72
I'm sure there are similar posts but not the easiest topic to search for. I just went through 150 posts with the search word of "owners" and found....nada....thanks for your reply.
I can't criticize you starting this thread, because you have absolutely terrible search skills and that is readily apparent.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by FITFOLLY
I can't criticize you starting this thread, because you have absolutely terrible search skills and that is readily apparent.
Awww, how pleasant you are

Old 09-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Ever wonder if some of these people break out a conversation logbook when you casually bring up a topic in real life conversation: (cue Sheldon Cooper voice) "This was discussed at 430pm, July 14, 2009. I'm sorry, it's no longer a valid topic of discussion."

Last edited by Occam; 09-17-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hatchpat
12 CUP HOLDERS IN THE GE!!!!!!!!!!
Thats what I'm talking about.......................
How are you getting to 12?

Are you referring to the 10 cup holders in the GE and then your 2 hands as the other 2 cup holders?

Old 09-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
Ever wonder if some of these people break out a conversation logbook when you casually bring up a topic in real life conversation: (cue Sheldon Cooper voice) "This was discussed at 430pm, July 14, 2009. I'm sorry, it's no longer a valid topic of discussion."
You know, that's a good point! I hardly ever post asking questions like this but when I do I get pricks posting dumb ass comments. I didn't start surfing the interwebs yesterday but I guess there's one in every crowd.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
wish the GE didnt look like a hamster...haha