2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Fit Sport, VSA standard...and 6MT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LeafEater
6MT won't happen.. I've been driving MT civic's since '95, and they've all had roughly the same gearing ratios.. example being; approx. 4k RPMs @ 80mph. so I doubt they'll change that.
It won't happen because you say so, funny, I guess Honda has printed shitload of brochures here stating the next RS coming out in about 2 weeks will have a 6MT, but it is just a late or early April Fool's to the world I guess because you have been driving MT Civics since '95 and Honda hasn't cleared the 6MT with you. And what did they do to the NSX and the Integra...hmmm those had 5MTs at first and guess what, they ended up with 6MT in later versions. So you might want to rethink about your doubt and realize that the Fit is indeed coming out with a 6MT.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
It won't happen because you say so, funny, I guess Honda has printed shitload of brochures here stating the next RS coming out in about 2 weeks will have a 6MT, but it is just a late or early April Fool's to the world I guess because you have been driving MT Civics since '95 and Honda hasn't cleared the 6MT with you. And what did they do to the NSX and the Integra...hmmm those had 5MTs at first and guess what, they ended up with 6MT in later versions. So you might want to rethink about your doubt and realize that the Fit is indeed coming out with a 6MT.
wow you're kinda an ass..
they won't do it because the 5mt and the current ratio's have worked fine for over a decade for 98% of drivers. You always get a few tuners that complain about wanting a 6mt, that doesn't really resonate with honda to justify it. This is an affordable economy car. If the RS does come out here w/a 6mt it is to satisfy that small percentage of customers, but I bet the Base & Sport will retain the 5mt.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by specboy
I highly doubt 6MT. The FIT's torque-less L15 really doesn't have the oomph to handle a 6MT. Highway drivers would be downshifting 2 gears every time a larger hill came up, and downshifting 1 gear if a gust of wind came in the opposite direction.
actually, the smaller engines (less torque) are the target of higher gears to optimize the "thinner" power band, whereas it is larger motors that can "get away" with fewer gears

obviously problem is complication, cost, engineering, etc

but anyway, i thought this thread was a declaration, not another speculative thread... what a misleading title

Old 09-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Why do some people here keep thinking the CRZ is this torque monster because of the electric motor? It has a peak of 122 lb-ft, vs 105 for the Fit, and yet the 2 CRZs (6MT and CVT) I drove were less responsive, i.e. less torquey than my 5MT Fit.
youre listing peak torque figures...a singular scalar. electric motors serve up power at the bottom end of the rev spectrum - good for getting off the line - whereas gasoline combustion motors typically dont come alive until 2500rpm or so.

whether it felt responsive or not is a function of the transmission.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LeafEater
wow you're kinda an ass..
they won't do it because the 5mt and the current ratio's have worked fine for over a decade for 98% of drivers. You always get a few tuners that complain about wanting a 6mt, that doesn't really resonate with honda to justify it. This is an affordable economy car. If the RS does come out here w/a 6mt it is to satisfy that small percentage of customers, but I bet the Base & Sport will retain the 5mt.
First, the RS isn't sold here it's JDM. If you look sexydrive is in Japan, which is why he's talking about it.

Secondly, I understand how he might come across to you as an ass but realize you're coming across as completely ignorant. Just because something has worked in the past, doesn't mean it can't stand improvement. Hondas were carb'd for decades. They "worked fine for 98% of the drivers." ZOMG WE'RE RUNNING EFI NOW, is it just to please the 'tuners'?

More gears = more choices. Doesn't necessarily mean higher top gear ratio. Could be more even spacing. Regardless more gears are more better. Bring it on.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by belfastcowboy
youre listing peak torque figures...a singular scalar. electric motors serve up power at the bottom end of the rev spectrum - good for getting off the line - whereas gasoline combustion motors typically dont come alive until 2500rpm or so.

whether it felt responsive or not is a function of the transmission.
My point is some poster here automatically think the CRZ with its electric supplement has better torque and therefore sprightlier off the line or around town. I've driven both the MT and CVT CRZs and I'll say it again...the Fit 5MT feels more responsive even at low rpm.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Drive sporty enough in a CR-Z and it becomes slower and slower (depleted battery) and looses the electric edge. One reason my lead foot self can't ever get an IMA system.