2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All GE's slow to shift to first?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
Question All GE's slow to shift to first?

I've noticed that the transmission has a delay before it shifts into first when slowing down. For example, when slowing to an almost-complete stop, then starting off again, the car will jerk as the transmission finishes shifting. If you don't want the jerk, you have to intentionally either come to a complete stop for a moment or just be extremely light on the accelerator.

I've tried using the paddle shifters to down-shift to first slightly early when I know I'm not going to stop completely, but getting that timing right is tricky.

Does anyone else notice this and get annoyed with it? Other than the mystery rattles here and there, this is my only complaint with the car. Good thing I've become used to it and adjust my driving style accordingly.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BraytonAK
I've noticed that the transmission has a delay before it shifts into first when slowing down. For example, when slowing to an almost-complete stop, then starting off again, the car will jerk as the transmission finishes shifting. If you don't want the jerk, you have to intentionally either come to a complete stop for a moment or just be extremely light on the accelerator.

I've tried using the paddle shifters to down-shift to first slightly early when I know I'm not going to stop completely, but getting that timing right is tricky.

Does anyone else notice this and get annoyed with it? Other than the mystery rattles here and there, this is my only complaint with the car. Good thing I've become used to it and adjust my driving style accordingly.
I think this was what I noticed when I did my three test drives on the Fit AT (before buying the MT). It wasn't actually when I stopped/was stopping on straights... but when I turned. By some annoying luck, I would have a red light on approach only for it to turn green before I came to a full stop... so when I made my turn, the car would "lug" a bit.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
man i just don't even use first gear sometimes when i am slowing down, i only down shift from like 4th to 3rd generally, or 5th to 4th, but 2nd to 1st is always a harsh one unless your going SUPER slow like sub-parking lot speeds.

just hold down the clutch and break man....

Old 10-26-2010, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
man i just don't even use first gear sometimes when i am slowing down, i only down shift from like 4th to 3rd generally, or 5th to 4th, but 2nd to 1st is always a harsh one unless your going SUPER slow like sub-parking lot speeds.

just hold down the clutch and break man....
He can't hold down the clutch with his automatic transmission.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:06 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BraytonAK

i use my paddles to down shift all the time. so i rarely notice it.
not sure if you know but you can't shift down to 1st unless the car is
doing less than 20 or 22mph. i forget which one. it's in the manual. but yeah
thats how it works.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
I'll probably have to get used to doing it myself with the paddle. :Sigh: Too bad the behavior can't be adjusted.