2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPG Results and Mileage after 1st tank in my '10 Sport A/T

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 04:03 AM
MPG Results and Mileage after 1st tank in my '10 Sport A/T

I thought this was pretty good considering the rated combined fuel economy is 30 MPG.

I drove as much as I could before I ran out of gas. Wanted to see how many miles I could squeeze out.

Am I going to see this increase or decrease? I bought it new with 6 miles and these were the results after the first tank...

Old 11-03-2010, 07:56 AM
pretty good. I might go up a little...mine did after about a month of driving.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
Though your FE gauge is most likely re-calibrated more accurately than most of the 09's, you might want to manually calculate your mileage as the gauge and manual calculation will still disagree.

Prior to re-calibration my gauge was about 4 mpg optimistic. Now it's about 1.2 mpg optimistic, though on a recent long distance drive I got 43.8 mpg manually, while the gauge read 39.6.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:36 PM
I think that is pretty reasonable mileage during break in.
However, I'm new with the FIT.
My first calculation (mileage kept on Smart Phone App) was 27.2.
I did find that when I drove 80% city & 20% freeway my mileage was marginal (26.46, 29.55, 31.73, 26.99, 34.49) but when I reverse those percents I get 38.44, 38.96, 40.33, 40.62, 41.12, 37.77.

I have a 6% grade pass I have to travel through to get to work, so I can only imagine that if I had more level ground to travel my mileage would average out on overall MPG to around 39 or 40 MPG as opposed to my average of 35.62 combined but it still beats the 21 MPG I was getting.

I also changed my driving habits keeping my speeds at 65 MPH and using my cruise control and, my gas consumption is always in the fore front of mind.
My payment for my FIT is $80 more per month then my last car, however, I'm saving over $130 a month in reduced fuel costs. That in itself is motivating to curb my poor driving habits.

I also need to add that when my wife drives mileage drops severely, I love my wife God bless her but she only has two speeds Stop and Go and if the gas peddle isn't bending the floor board you're not going fast enough.

Good Luck!

Old 11-03-2010, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
your really heavy on the gas to get 32MPG, my first tank of gas i was in the 40's. but it was all highway driving, and also going slow on the highway (to get used to the car)

now i stomp on the car everywhere and get 34MPG sometimes, but mainly 40+ when iam doing long trips.

after time you sorta learn how to drive it to improve MPG, like watching the needle bar, and seeing when to accelerate and let the car coast.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:31 PM
^ or lots of hills. i live in a very hilly area and 29-31 is my norm when i'm doing mostly city (which is most of the time). with more freeway i've been up to 37 but never 40+ because the hills really screw up my mpg.

i haven't taken the fit on any long trips yet but when I do i'd anticipate 40+ with my freeway driving habits

Old 11-07-2010, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
I get about 35-36 combined and I don't refer to the computer because I don't trust it..haha.

I just use miles driven / gallons purchased.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 AM
First tank: 34.8 MPG.
Second tank: 35.4 MPG.

This is back and forth; workout, grocery, church, into city, etc. Some Interstate, but no long mileage trips yet. Curious to see what this thing will do on a trip!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:24 AM
First MPG Tank

I got about 28 MPG on my first tank. A lot of city driving was to blame.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
I average 38mpg

My overall driving is about 90% interstate, at 60mph or higher with nary a traffic light. I live out in the country in North Georgia - lots of twisties and hills, but smooth and very few stops.

My M-F work commute is 55 miles round trip with 95% interstate at 70+ mph.

I DO NOT baby my Fit. I drive it fast and hard, but with precision. My stock tires are set at 34psi.

I regularly get 38mpg per tank. Seasonally, I get about 36 in the summer running the A/C. Changing into the fall/winter/spring seasons, I hit 39-40mpg every now and then, but mostly 38mpg.

I love it. I can beat on my Fit it and STILL get 35+ mpg!

Old 11-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by DLUONG
I get about 35-36 combined and I don't refer to the computer because I don't trust it..haha.

I just use miles driven / gallons purchased.
Same here. I write the ODO mileage on my receipt and then enter it into an simple excel worksheet that I have set up to calculate the mpg. It's easier than doing it manually. We're at 35.07mpg averaged over 19K miles. With an easy pedal foot even a hilly area can yield great mileage. There's always slop -- my 35.07 averaging is probably slightly off because we don't fill the tank each time to the same amount, etc. But you can only get so close to exact numbers.

Congrats on the new car!

Old 11-15-2010, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, I only use the MPG "estimator" on the dash.

Why? Because it's a REFERENCE POINT. All things being equal, it's going to provide the frame of reference for baseline comparison purposes. Is my real MPG 38? No, but I'm not so anal that I waste time writing down my exact mileage and "estimated" fill-up gallons (are you sure you fill the gas to the exact same fill point every time when you can't see it?) to do the math after every tank full. I used to do that when I was younger until I learned how to design experiments as an engineer.

I track my "mileage estimate" to identify potential problems like forgetting to stay up on the tire pressure, going a overboard on the accelerator too frequently, or some other anomaly that could identify an efficiency or maintenance issue with the engine/fuel system.

So whack another 5 mpg off my estimate, and I regularly get 33, which is fine by my standards.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Jim2bFit
...not so anal that I waste time writing down my exact mileage and "estimated" fill-up gallons (are you sure you fill the gas to the exact same fill point every time when you can't see it?) to do the math after every tank full. I used to do that when I was younger until I learned how to design experiments as an engineer.
Jeez, we *are* replying to someone new who posted a thread about MPG on a tank of gas, aren't we? When people compare mpg numbers on these forums its nice to know if they are using the car's numbers or using the harder pump numbers against mileage. You don't have to be "an engineer," young, old, anal, wasteful, or caught up in the minutia of how accurate the pump is, the ODO is, etc. to respect someone making that basic distinction. And knowing the difference IS interesting to some people (esp. the ecoterrorists among us). Let's not turn a thread about information sharing into one where we call each other names and try to show how smart we are, eh?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Splitting imaginary hairs

Originally Posted by moorefitloving
Jeez, we *are* replying to someone new who posted a thread about MPG on a tank of gas, aren't we? When people compare mpg numbers on these forums its nice to know if they are using the car's numbers or using the harder pump numbers against mileage. You don't have to be "an engineer," young, old, anal, wasteful, or caught up in the minutia of how accurate the pump is, the ODO is, etc. to respect someone making that basic distinction. And knowing the difference IS interesting to some people (esp. the ecoterrorists among us). Let's not turn a thread about information sharing into one where we call each other names and try to show how smart we are, eh?
All that because I used the word anal? A little sensitive, eh? I fail to see where I singled you out. You're criticizing me for exactly what's already happening on this thread, which is what I made a veiled reference to. The "I don't use the computer on the dash because it's inaccurate" take isn't the same thing in reverse? So what, my opinion differs from yours. Deal with it.

I posted an earlier, real-world assessment of my weekly commute figures, without using a calculator, or an iPhone app I created, or a spreadsheet - just the display on my dash. Like any new Fit owner might do. Seems pretty simple to me. And quick, too. Imagine that, an engineer (which I will not apologize for) that didn't employ a graphing calculator!

I really fail to see your dispute with me other than my first sentence.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jim2bFit
I really fail to see your dispute with me other than my first sentence.
I admit I do assume it's still more accurate to average the fill-up against the mileage over the CPU's numbers even though both approaches obviously have their uncontrolled variables. I am interested in hearing reasons why the computer should be trusted as being more accurate over the long term fillup/ODO approach.

I think we can agree that there are better ways to say things like "I don't do it that way" than saying "I'm not so anal that I waste my time doing it that way." Threads can get catty and worthless ultra fast if folks seem to be attacking people and not ideas. Let's just leave it at that.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:28 PM
First tank

I got 27.2 MPG on the first and 29.3 MPG on the second a lot of city driving and hills are to blame.