2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue HID's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by LLLC1393
Many OEM HID's are self leveling to minimize blinding other drivers. I am coming off 3 1/2 of BMW HID's that both level and swivel on curves. I felt that the light they put out was like the sun. I am finding that the headlights on my Fit are very bright, and do a very good job of illuminating the road. That's the idea isn't it? Illumination? For some it seems it's more about show than function. All I'm saying is, you're being obnoxious so you can look cool. As someone else also pointed out, sometimes they actually do a poor job of illumination (aftermarket HID's).
Are they required to have a ballast and be self-levelling in the US? For some reason I thought that was only a concern with EU standards. Of course, we still have no requirement for side repeaters or yellow rear signals either.

I kinda wish that yellow lights were legal - better illumination, and I could pretend I was driving a classic Citroën!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
Improperly installed HIDs (HID's installed in a reflector housing designed for Halogen bulbs) do two things. Give the driver less visibility, and create a glare for oncoming traffic (giving them less visibility). Adding springs or wheels to a car does not "Actively" impair other drivers and others are only in danger if those aftermarket items fail. HID's Produce Glare ACTIVELY impairing others as they are a Failure the minute they are turned on. Good lighting is about putting light where it needs to be and NO where else.

I'm all for Modding cars if it's done safely and doesn't actively impact others. The last thing i want to see (or not be able to see) is someone coming towards me with glaring lights.

~SB

Old 11-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
Are they required to have a ballast and be self-levelling in the US? For some reason I thought that was only a concern with EU standards. Of course, we still have no requirement for side repeaters or yellow rear signals either.

I kinda wish that yellow lights were legal - better illumination, and I could pretend I was driving a classic Citroën!

Vehicles equipped with HID headlamps are required by ECE regulation 48 also to be equipped with headlamp lens cleaning systems and automatic beam levelling control. Both of these measures are intended to reduce the tendency for high-output headlamps to cause high levels of glare to other road users. In North America, ECE R48 does not apply and while lens cleaners and beam levellers are permitted, they are not required; HID headlamps are markedly less prevalent in the US, where they have produced significant glare complaints. Scientific study of headlamp glare has shown that for any given intensity level, the light from HID headlamps is 40% more glaring than the light from tungsten-halogen headlamps.

Thats Wiki... I'm sure there are state laws about the lights. If you aim the HIDs properly and have a proper cutoff even with halogen reflector housings people wont be blinded! At the end of the day if you are looking for night driving performance a proper HID retrofit is in store, but if you just want the color and style PNP is the way to go just aim them and be safe!

Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by HardCorpsFIT
Also I can compare HIDs to other mods because anything that modifies a vehicle can fail due to inproper installation and endanger my life on the road. Regardless when you drive you are responsible for controlling your vehicle under any circumstance so just learn to deal. If you remember correctly there is a question on the drivers exam about how to properly deal with bright oncoming lights. It's life... other people are in it! So you do have to put up with bright headlights and earth shattering bass.

...next post...

Bummer it had to come to name calling. Anyhow a large percentage of this website is about personal expression through this little car so let people express themselves. You are entitled to your opinion but don't call people names or tell people they are obnoxious for how they want their car to look. If you dont like being blinded by the light dont listen to Manfred Mann and dont drive at night otherwise you may be subjected to bright lights and loud radio volume! .
Wow, where to start?

HID kits are not like other mods because the driver has no control over their impact to others on the road. Intakes, wheels, tires etc have the ability to produce higher performance at the discretion of the driver. PNP HID's do so whenever they are on, and in an uncontrollable (by the driver) manner unless the driver somehow bends the laws of physics.

One's rights of expression only go so far as not to infringe on the rights of others. Everyone doesn't have to "deal" just because the OP wants to look cool. That's why freedom of speech doesn't include yelling fire in a theater and why governments can make smoking in public places illegal. Those rights/priveleges don't allow someone to put everyone else out. And it doesn't mean everyone else has to either stay home or simply deal with being put in danger or unduly aggravated.

So, if you want better lighting, it's debatable that PNP HID's accomplish that, and certainly not the blue ones.

And if you want to look "cool", that's fine as long as everyone else doesn't have to bear the burden of that.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:57 PM
I think you guys just drove the OP into hiding... LOL such meanies hahaha

OP, check with your city laws and if you have to go the HID route... retro is best suggested.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
damn guys calm down lol everyone has their own opinion about this, as you can see no need to bash on what they think we all are fit members lets not hate each other lol and i see many cars with blue yellow and even pink HIDs here in vegas they dont really blind other drivers, many drivers here, with regular lights drive w/ High beams they are the ones that blind people haha.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Andrei8
many drivers here, with regular lights drive w/ High beams they are the ones that blind people haha.
Add to those, the drivers that (I would guess) replaced their lights, but never bothered to check/do something about their aim. This goes for both halogens and "OEM" HIDs.

I am constantly seeing vehicles where one light is obscenely brighter than the other, to the point that some look like they have one high beam on.

All in all, I am more affected (ie, blinded) by those vehicles than PNP HIDs.

It's pretty silly, when you're sitting in an SUV that can see over the roof of the car that is blinding you (when I was still using the Nissan Pathfinder). Can you imagine how bad it is, now that I'm sitting in the Fit?!?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
i know what you mean many trucks here are mostly the ones that have the brightest lights

Old 12-01-2010, 11:38 AM
^^^Trucks are usually HIGHER in so their lights are already glaring unless they are actually measured and adjusted to shoot lower. This is especially noticeable in a FIT...a lowered FIT.

I've seen non-retro HID's work, but there will always be glare. Even OEM HID's blind the crap out of me when they are a little out of alignment. Although, having HID's is nice (My LS400 was had wonderful lighting).

All that to say, I vote for higher wattage PIAA's or Silverstars or Phillips Power 80's (i think that is what they are called). Still Halogen, but will be brighter and not jeapordize you life with an angry anti HID who just can't stand your glaring HID's anymore and drive head-on into you in a fit of rage and malice!!!! (wow, where did that come from?)