2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge light colour change??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
Gauge light colour change??

Yes I know, "search is your friend" but using the search on the forum has not answered this question... is it possible to change the light colour in the gauge cluster from the USDM blue to the JDM ( & others) red??
I find the blue a bit too bright for my taste & dial down the brightness to near minimum. I find red to be a more comfortable colour for my aged eyes.
Anyone try/do this? Or is it even possible?

Old 12-01-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm new here myself but a quick Google search found this:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-usdm-fit.html

I suspect it holds true for the newer models as well but I still haven't even taken possession of mine yet (tonight!) so I'm not exactly an authority on...anything.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm... wasn't looking to swap out clusters, on previous cars I have changed the bulbs to red tinted ones, but I think the Fit uses LED's.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
I just checked shop manual and yes it is LEDs. It does not give any info on changing them if faulty though or at least I can't find it.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Probably have to replace the whole circuit board if there is an issue with the leds. Oh well, it was a thought....

Old 02-23-2012, 06:25 AM
I wonder if gauge cluster led light can be changed within ECU parameters. It would be more useful for Honda to have tri-colour led and just apply registers for colour from a cost and manufacturing pov.

Just a thought.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Levinson-Durbin
It would be more useful for Honda to have tri-colour led and just apply registers for colour from a cost and manufacturing pov.

Just a thought.
How in the world would you figure that?

A single tri-colored led cost more than any mono colored led.

The actual process of forcing a tri-colored LED into one color for one market while having another factory build it to another color is MORE complicated than simply swapping out the batch of LEDs.

Those two issues alone, FAR outweigh any "simple" option of switching colors the tri-color LEDs offer.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
its probable not as complicated as swapping out the board. You would have to upon up the cluster and if there just normal LED bulbs its as simple as replacing them. If the LEDs are part of the board then you would have to remove the old LEDs and solder new ones in place.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 AM
You can do it on any car as far as I'm concerned, but you best know what you are doing and be prepared to have to swap clusters or pay some money to send it to the dealer.

Changing the backlight LED's was real popular when I frequented the ToyotaNation forums - several members changed theirs without problems. You can do the same with a little bit of research and careful desoldering/soldering techniques...

Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 PM
I would like to do a mod like this on my car to swap out the amber/red leds to tri-color ones, just that its still under warranty, is keeping me away from doing it..

Old 04-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
How in the world would you figure that?
Economy of scale and being an electronic Engineer.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
I love the color scheme. Woudn't change it for anything, personally. In fact, everybody who see it loves it.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
Economy of scale and being an electronic Engineer.
Really?

So, you're claiming to know more than the engineers and bean counters at Honda?

edit: That being said... I'm excusing myself from this "debate."

Last edited by Goobers; 04-16-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
I love the color scheme. Woudn't change it for anything, personally. In fact, everybody who see it loves it.
Sure it looks good, but blue kills your night vision. I truely hate it. One day I will swap out the LEDs (may need to add some resistors though, since red runs at lower voltages than blue typicly).

Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
It would be more useful for Honda to have tri-colour led and just apply registers for colour from a cost and manufacturing pov.

Just a thought.
It probably would being as they use a tri color system in the current CR-Z (& probably the Insight too).

I wonder if gauge cluster led light can be changed within ECU parameters.
I think it was a more complicated process for the GE8's as opposed to the GD3's. Not sure if it was possible though, iirc. Forgot where it was mentioned.
Originally Posted by MNfit
its probable not as complicated as swapping out the board. You would have to upon up the cluster and if there just normal LED bulbs its as simple as replacing them. If the LEDs are part of the board then you would have to remove the old LEDs and solder new ones in place.
I'm hoping it's that easy. I'd want to change or mod my LED's to red also without doing the JDM gauge swap. But I think that might be the only option.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by x_25
Sure it looks good, but blue kills your night vision. I truely hate it. One day I will swap out the LEDs (may need to add some resistors though, since red runs at lower voltages than blue typicly).
Blue doesn't kill my night vision, but good luck with your mod to get the color you prefer.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:08 PM
I have an '09 Fit from Mexico with the red light cluster, and I really wich I had the blue one. The thing I like from your cluster is that it has a kind of "halo" from behind the little LCD, the ones with the red (more like orange) does not. But as someone wrote, I think it could be annoying at night. My brother has a VW Jetta that I thought was cool with it´s red/blue illumination and after driving it 300 miles at night, even with the lights dialed down, it was one of the most annoying experiences I have ever had.