2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

FYI: Shock was leaking

  #21  
Old 02-15-2011, 12:47 PM
DiamondStarMonsters's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 4,424
Originally Posted by Goobers View Post
I'm just shy of 200 lbs. I think I weigh the most in my family, and I'm the tallest (6'). When I sit, the car does move a little, but I don't pay attention.

I think the Swifts are technically shorter, but I don't know if the shocks would extend far enough to "unload" the spring. At least, when I hear the sound, I'm not getting air, that's for sure.
I'd have to see or feel it I guess, so if it is convenient for you I would be happy to take a look at it in person, sounds like you live relatively close.

PM me if you want and we can find a day that works for both of us! I am in the NE corner of Cook county.
 
  #22  
Old 02-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Texas Coyote's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Anderson County Texas
Posts: 7,388
The Swift springs are shorter but, with less windings and whatever insane alloy and tempering process they use have have much more travel than conventional springs... Honestly, the only way I know of to describe the feel is to tell you to think of something like a C class Mercedes or an upscale Volvo as compared to the ride and a first generation VW GTI in handling.... The spring travel is possibly longer than the travel of the stock springs based on the feeling of a better dampened ride than what I felt on the stock springs.... I don't know if I am making any sense or not.... I am feeling the effects of a couple of pretty rough days and have another one coming up tomorrow... At least I know where I am going so I won't be getting lost again like on Sunday.
 
  #23  
Old 02-15-2011, 02:26 PM
DiamondStarMonsters's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 4,424
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote View Post
The Swift springs are shorter but, with less windings and whatever insane alloy and tempering process they use have have much more travel than conventional springs... Honestly, the only way I know of to describe the feel is to tell you to think of something like a C class Mercedes or an upscale Volvo as compared to the ride and a first generation VW GTI in handling.... The spring travel is possibly longer than the travel of the stock springs based on the feeling of a better dampened ride than what I felt on the stock springs.... I don't know if I am making any sense or not.... I am feeling the effects of a couple of pretty rough days and have another one coming up tomorrow... At least I know where I am going so I won't be getting lost again like on Sunday.

Hmm... hear ya loud n clear Tex! My dad has had it kind of rough lately too, so no worries I definitely hear ya on that... With less coils they probably can travel more before binding, so that would make sense. You really make me want to get a set of these myself when the time comes!

Any chance you have a picture of the swifts next to the OE units?

Maybe I'll get a chance to check it out with Goobers if he can make the ride up here.

I was just gonna start by putting each end of the car in the air independently to full unload them and make sure they are on their perches properly, all fasteners snug, etc.
 

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-15-2011 at 02:31 PM.
  #24  
Old 02-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Texas Coyote's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Anderson County Texas
Posts: 7,388
Getting it off the ground like you say and eliminating the load is the surest way to see what is going on.... I put mine on after installing air shocks following Manxman's DIY thread and at the time wasn't considering changing the springs.... I nearly shit when I jacked the rear up for the first time after I had installed the springs with maybe 15 PSI in the air shocks and more mileage on them so they had loosened up a bit and the rear coils just fell off of their perches and rolled out from under the car.... I'll change back to the stock shocks or find some that will fit that are stiffer and don't extend any further than the stock units... Right now I am okay as long as I don't have both rear wheels off of the ground too high at the same time.
 
  #25  
Old 02-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Goobers's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wandering around.
Posts: 4,013
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters View Post
I'd have to see or feel it I guess, so if it is convenient for you I would be happy to take a look at it in person, sounds like you live relatively close.

PM me if you want and we can find a day that works for both of us! I am in the NE corner of Cook county.
NE corner? You live in Glencoe? Then you've gotten plenty of chances to see me whizzing by, Glencoe and Winnetka are my primary delivery areas (less in the surrounding villages).

I think TC is right, in that its probably road noise. But if you're interested in the Swifts, I guess that's as good as any reason. I only work in the evenings, so pretty much anytime is good (as long as I wake up).
 
  #26  
Old 02-15-2011, 09:14 PM
DiamondStarMonsters's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 4,424
Originally Posted by Goobers View Post
NE corner? You live in Glencoe? Then you've gotten plenty of chances to see me whizzing by, Glencoe and Winnetka are my primary delivery areas (less in the surrounding villages).

I think TC is right, in that its probably road noise. But if you're interested in the Swifts, I guess that's as good as any reason. I only work in the evenings, so pretty much anytime is good (as long as I wake up).
Close enough! I am a little north and west, by lake-cook and 41.

So let me know when is convenient, I probably have some time on sunday or saturday afternoon.

We'll get it on some jack stands and see what we can find!
 
  #27  
Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 AM
Texas Coyote's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Anderson County Texas
Posts: 7,388
Goobers may have to get an additional gig if you two get together... When the boost bug bites, bye bye big bucks...
 
  #28  
Old 02-16-2011, 04:43 AM
Goobers's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wandering around.
Posts: 4,013
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote View Post
Goobers may have to get an additional gig if you two get together... When the boost bug bites, bye bye big bucks...
Duuuuuudde. you're eViL.

But, I think... the boost bug is one I can hold off, for a while.

That Sprintex looks interesting though.
 
  #29  
Old 02-16-2011, 05:09 AM
Texas Coyote's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Anderson County Texas
Posts: 7,388
I had to wait almost 3 years but only because I had the car that long before Kraft Werks was confident in what they had developed and it had been thoroughly tested...I was fortunate to have had the money to get it when they had first released it...The Sprintex looks great to me also.... What DSM has said about it being a good choice for adding a turbo to is on the money and would be the thing to do if you were to want to make owners of cars costing 5 times more feel like they were moving backwards as you flew by them on the freeway late at night.... I pulled off from a young guy in a tricked out older Civic on Sunday in 4th gear when I still 20 mph to have used in 3rd if I had chosen to just blow past him... I only go to extremes when I have a need to make some ass hole in a much more expensive car giving me a condescending look wants to show me up... It is even better if he is with his girlfriend, then I laugh my ass off while his car gets smaller in my rear view mirror.... Can you imagine what it would feel like to a guy like that who has been smoked by an old man in a little bitty station wagon.
 
  #30  
Old 02-16-2011, 05:53 AM
Goobers's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wandering around.
Posts: 4,013
U so cwazy!

Oh yeah... I think I read someone posting online about an hour after their birthday? Congrats on turning 61, old man.
 
  #31  
Old 02-16-2011, 06:16 AM
Texas Coyote's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Anderson County Texas
Posts: 7,388
Thanks... Now if I can make it to 62 I can draw social security... It won't be much but I still haven't fully recovered from my last divorce and even with 10 times more money than what I will be getting I'd never again have what all that bitch took me for.
 
  #32  
Old 02-16-2011, 02:58 PM
DiamondStarMonsters's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 4,424
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote View Post
Thanks... Now if I can make it to 62 I can draw social security... It won't be much but I still haven't fully recovered from my last divorce and even with 10 times more money than what I will be getting I'd never again have what all that bitch took me for.
Happy Birthday you crazy [email protected]!
 
  #33  
Old 06-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Atmos's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 65
Took mine in today (2010 BSP Sport M/T) for an oil change and they found the 2 rear shocks leaking. Under warranty and getting it taken care of next week along with my tires rotated. My fit has 17,500 miles on it. Kind of weird that both back ones are shot after less than a year but I do drive on some pretty bad roads in Milwaukee, WI. There are lots of potholes and sunken manhole covers and other lovely cold-weather-climate road problems. I am really glad the dealership spotted it and was honest about it; it isn't that big of a deal but they could have just ignored it since it is going to cost them money and I hadn't noticed it. Customer service is not dead after all.
 
  #34  
Old 06-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 229
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Took mine in today (2010 BSP Sport M/T) for an oil change and they found the 2 rear shocks leaking. Under warranty and getting it taken care of next week along with my tires rotated. My fit has 17,500 miles on it. Kind of weird that both back ones are shot after less than a year but I do drive on some pretty bad roads in Milwaukee, WI. There are lots of potholes and sunken manhole covers and other lovely cold-weather-climate road problems. I am really glad the dealership spotted it and was honest about it; it isn't that big of a deal but they could have just ignored it since it is going to cost them money and I hadn't noticed it. Customer service is not dead after all.
Huh? You are aware that your 2010 Fit with <18K miles is still covered under the bumper to bumper warranty from Honda and that the dealership gets "paid" for it from Honda.

So, while they make little to no money on your oil change, they DO make a few buck now on warranty work.

But, so long as your happy, it's all good.
 
  #35  
Old 06-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Atmos's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by Shora View Post
Huh? You are aware that your 2010 Fit with <18K miles is still covered under the bumper to bumper warranty from Honda and that the dealership gets "paid" for it from Honda.

So, while they make little to no money on your oil change, they DO make a few buck now on warranty work.

But, so long as your happy, it's all good.
Yes I am aware it was covered (because they told me). Was not aware the dealership gets paid to do my warranty work.
 
  #36  
Old 06-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 229
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Yes I am aware it was covered (because they told me). Was not aware the dealership gets paid to do my warranty work.
It's cool.

BTW, on my 09 Base, I did notice what seemed like some kind of dried fluid on the rear passenger side rim during my last oil change/ tire rotation.

Looked at the shock and brake lines for 10 minutes and couldn't see anything so I just wiped it clean.

Will check again today to see if the issue returned.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.