2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda announces recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by spin out
are there any moderators on this forum at all??

this thread should be pinned... as should the other on this topic.

this thread easily gets buried way down the page behind three "i just bought a fit!" threads.
You just need to know where to look. There is a sticky thread that references this as well as other tsb's..its at the top of the GE8 thread list.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-info-ge8.html

Safety Recall: Lost Motion Springs (11-010) (thanks rhyneba!)

The recall only affects some 2009 with VINs in the range JHMGE8...9S000027 to JHMGE8...9S075923 and JHMGE8...9C000005 to JHMGE8...9C007783 and 2010 Fits with VINs in the range JHMGE8...AC000001 to JHMGE8...AC013589. Dealers will do an inspection to check whether the vehicle has the affected springs, and if so, repair requires installing new lost motion springs and performing a valve adjustment.

Discussion threads:

Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
I agree, no sticky needed.
People who bought a new fit won't need this information as it's not applicable to them.

Within a few months, everyone who needs to have this done should have it done; if you're a new owner or existing owner, you're also going to be notified by mail or as the letter states it must be forwarded to new owner if it was a private party sale.

It's not hidden or secret or leaked upcoming info

Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Agreed as well. No sticky necessary. (we need to get rid of the stickies and announcements that just won't die as it is)

This will all be over in 2-3 months.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 03-21-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Gasp... Forgot the ~SB
Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Wink Got Recall Fix

Last Tuesday brought my 09 Fit to get the recall done. As I was the first fit owner to get the recall fixed at Paragon Honda Service dealer, they kept my car overnight and gave me a loaner (loaned me an Nissan Altima Hybrid...LMAO).

The next morning, got a call from the service department telling me my car was fixed, exactly 24 hours after I dropped it off. Courteous service techs, free food and drinks, free loaner car, and I feel my car running smoother than before...haha.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Did they tell you, or can you tell from the paperwork, whether they actually replaced the springs, or if your car was manufactured after the cutoff date?

Old 03-22-2011, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
You just need to know where to look. There is a sticky thread that references this as well as other tsb's..its at the top of the GE8 thread list.
thanks. i didnt see that. although it would still be easier to find simply by pinning the thread. but it's not a big issue.

in other news...... today i scheduled my recall. i mentioned issues people were having with the cowl to the service writer.... and the guy actually said to me, "well we found a way to do the recall without removing the cowl. it's our little secret."
i'm surprised he didnt tell me the easter bunny will be doing the repair work.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
thanks. i didnt see that. although it would still be easier to find simply by pinning the thread. but it's not a big issue.

in other news...... today i scheduled my recall. i mentioned issues people were having with the cowl to the service writer.... and the guy actually said to me, "well we found a way to do the recall without removing the cowl. it's our little secret."
i'm surprised he didnt tell me the easter bunny will be doing the repair work.
I wonder why they called it "their little secret" whether that's just to make you the customer feel they are a superior shop; or if they really are keeping it a secret.
You'd think that even though they are separate entities, the different Honda dealers would share this type of info among themselves and help Honda as a whole.
Some sucky dealer messing up a car still ends up hurting Honda customer satisfaction overall, and that customer might stop buying hondas later.

Last edited by raytseng; 03-22-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
^i think it's BS.

the good news is they've done over 100 recalls. so they've had some practice.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Got my recall notice in the mail today (Saint Louis, MO). I'll call the local Honda dealer tomorrow morning to schedule service.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Olyar15
Reading up on the procedure is now making me worried that we all might have future problems. The instructions on re-installing the cylinder head cover has this little note:
"Do not run the engine for at least 3 hours after installing the head cover."

The head cover requires a small amount of liquid gasket, so I am assuming that this allows the gasket to cure. So to those that had the recall done in less than a day: were you allowed to drive the car immediately after everything was finished, or did you wait until the end of the day before picking up the car. Also, I don't think they are going to just let the car sit in the service bay for 3 hours before driving the car out.

My concern is that if the engine is started before the 3 hours, are we going to have an eventual seal breakdown and oil leak from the cylinder cover? And what if it occurs after the warranty is up? We will then have to pay to fix it ourselved, unless we can prove that it was due to faulty assembly from the recall procedure. This seems like a greater concern than the broken tabs, since those are visually identifiable.
good post from the other thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
When I started this thread I never realized how many paranoid freaks not Fit Freaks there are out there. Almost makes me wish I had never started it.

Keep digging. I am sure you can find something else the boys at Honda will screw up on your recall.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:11 PM
good post from the other thread
That note is in reference to HondaBond HT which does take a while to set under varying temperatures. However, I have never had a problem with leaks where i've used HondaBond on headcovers and started the engine immediately afterward.

Lol, people are so paranoid, in 100k miles when their cylinder head covers start to leak they'll all be blaming their dealer when it probably would've leaked anyway.

EDIT: I'd like to say to all of those who are paranoid, I have worked as a mechanic and this is not a hard job at all. In fact, it is fairly routine and there really aren't as many ways to screw it up as you might think. I find it very unlikely that any problems will arise as a result of having this recall performed on your vehicle. Like I've stated previously like 20 pages ago, I could probably do this job in an hour and a half relatively easily.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nfs480

Lol, people are so paranoid, in 100k miles when their cylinder head covers start to leak they'll all be blaming their dealer when it probably would've leaked anyway.
thanks for your input.
yeah.... it's a fine line between being paranoid and having all your bases covered. lol.

btw, the assistant service manager at my local dealer has confirmed for me that they (local dealer) do the recall fix without removing the cowl.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
btw, the assistant service manager at my local dealer has confirmed for me that they (local dealer) do the recall fix without removing the cowl.
some of the benefits of NOT being overly paranoid and waiting for the smart mechanics to figure out how to do the task better than the original instructions (and hopefully sharing with all the other honda mechanics).

Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by reako
Got my recall notice in the mail today (Saint Louis, MO). I'll call the local Honda dealer tomorrow morning to schedule service.
Could have had it done today but Friday works better for me. The said they have done a few and have no issues. Very happy with my local dealer service. 2.5hr job.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Brought my '09 Fit Sport 37k in to DCH Paramus Honda in North NJ at 8:30am. Besides the LMS recall, I asked for an update to the eprom for the incorrect MPG TSB 09-086, replace A/T fluid and cabin filter. They finished at 2pm.

They said they started working on the recall item last week and only schedule 3 per day max b/c it's time consuming.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:11 AM
amidst all of these negative reviews, i have had a pleasant experience at Honda of Pasadena, for those of you in socal.

Dropped the car off at noon, told me they'd be done by 4. Sure enough, my beautiful service advisor calls me 10 minutes before 4 and tell me my car is ready for pick-up. i was at work so i told her i'd pick it up tomorrow - which worked in favor of the "wait 3 hours before operating car" which i'm guessing is for the liquid gasket to set in nice and good before seeing operating temperatures.

i didn't say a thing about everyone on the forums complaining about the cowl clips being broken - cuz if the noob tech working on my car can't take that shit off without breaking it, he can't - it's not like he's intentionally ripping and breaking every clip. plus, i took pictures pre-drop off and had no worries. dealers that say they find a shortcut by taking the battery out or do the work without removing the cowl is bullshitting you. taking the valve cover off without removing the cowl would be like doing the back side blind-don't be surprised if the back half of your valve cover is missing bolts.

so today i went in, and less than 5 minutes i was out. right away i popped the hood, and there was ONE tab that wasn't clipped in it's proper spot but i was able to fix that on the spot. every single clip was back in its place, the whole cowl lined up perfect without scratches and my wipers and washers worked. did a walk around to make sure no dents or scratches and i was out. car seems quieter at idle also - and the valve tap i had before was almost completely gone - noticed in the work order they had included a valve adjustment with the labor.

pleasant 5 star experience...you wouldn't expect any less from a dealer that's been awarded the president's award 3 years running i guess.

PS - this facility is lowered car friendly. the service bay is ground level.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
It should sound louder.. The exhaust valves are the ones that wear the mosts and tighten up the valve clearance by wearing into the valve seats.. When they lose clearance they can't completely close and can become hot enough to melt along the edge and break off into the combustion chamber.
I understand this, but the car had a distinct "ticka-ticka" noise that wasn't there before. I took it back and asked the service manager's opinion of it. He listened for 5 seconds and said "that's not right". He had me bring the car back the next day, and they readjusted the valves. All is well now. the engine sounds like it did when it was new.

Actually, valve clearance will decrease due to valve seat wear, but at the same time, wear of the cam lobes, rocker arms, rocker arm pivots and valve stems will work to increase the clearance. The result is, depending on design and other factors, valve clearance may either increase or decrease over time, depending on the relative rate of wear of the various parts involved.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 03-27-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
a service writer at my dealer said he was unaware of them finding any damaged springs in any of the 100+ recalls they've done (open road honda, edison, nj).

Old 03-28-2011, 05:16 PM
A better way to say that would have been, "None of the Fits have qualified for the LSM recall work."

Quick Reply: Honda announces recall