2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda announces recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
A better way to say that would have been, "None of the Fits have qualified for the LSM recall work."
Not necessarily, just because they aren't broken doesn't mean they aren't the flawed parts that are liable to break in the future. With this recall Honda is attempting to proactively replace these springs, prior to their failure.

Last edited by nfs480; 03-28-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 03-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Keep in mind that this recall does not involve 'finding' broken springs.

It's all by the numbers, stamped part numbers and vehicle VIN numbers. A vehicle qualifies for the recall by VIN number first. Then the tappet cover is pulled and the rocker assembly number is looked at. If this is in the recall range the work is done and the primary VIN plate is stamped to indicate the work was done on that vehicle.

Honda is very clear as to where the defective springs are.
There's no inspecting the springs to be sure they are good or bad.

A vehicle qualifies for the recall.

Honda has issued this to repair a known problem. Not sure of their protectiveness, but it is certainly in their interests to fix problems they know exist.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
i had the recall done today (open road honda, edison, nj).

they replaced the LMS.

the car sounds the same and feels the same. no sign of any damage or changes whatsoever.

they did not remove the cowl.... so it's fine.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Keep in mind that this recall does not involve 'finding' broken springs.
my only point was my dealer (supposedly) hasnt found any broken/damaged springs in any of the 100+ cars they've looked at. i dont know how many of those had springs replaced.

ive wondered all along what are the chances of the "faulty" LMS failing during the lifetime of any given car. are we talking 1 in 10? 1 in 100? 1 in 1000? i dont know.

Last edited by spin out; 03-28-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:13 PM
See your point - if a spring was broken the car would have been brought in for repairs is what I'm thinking. Some one or two have experienced the spring failure on the forum. Little bits of spring steel flying around the rocker arms will cause problems.

No idea - worldwide - how long [number of failed springs] it took for them to issue the recall, or how many have failed since it's been issued. Interesting statistics I'll bet Honda will protect. I think I read somewhere it all started in Asia.

I would guess any mechanic would be interested in looking at those little springs just to see if they could tell something was up. I know I would - and certainly after doing a hundred or so cars.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
See your point - if a spring was broken the car would have been brought in for repairs is what I'm thinking. Some one or two have experienced the spring failure on the forum. Little bits of spring steel flying around the rocker arms will cause problems.
ah. okay. i did not assume a damaged spring would necessarily immediately cause trouble. the only reason i say that is because i have a vague recollection of someone saying their engine was running fine, but one of their LMS was damaged. but i cant remember who posted that. or maybe i'm just remembering wrong.

anyway, i'm glad this is now behind me without incident.

my dealer told me over and over not to worry about it (the recall repair)... and it appears they backed up their word.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:38 PM
I haven't received a recall on my 2010. Where can I find the effected VIN's?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cybertar
I haven't received a recall on my 2010. Where can I find the effected VIN's?
Honda Fit Lost Motion Spring Recall

Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I understand this, but the car had a distinct "ticka-ticka" noise that wasn't there before. I took it back and asked the service manager's opinion of it. He listened for 5 seconds and said "that's not right". He had me bring the car back the next day, and they readjusted the valves. All is well now. the engine sounds like it did when it was new.

Actually, valve clearance will decrease due to valve seat wear, but at the same time, wear of the cam lobes, rocker arms, rocker arm pivots and valve stems will work to increase the clearance. The result is, depending on design and other factors, valve clearance may either increase or decrease over time, depending on the relative rate of wear of the various parts involved.
I hear a faint noise like that from inside the car. Think I should take it back in for that? Already gotta go back for a new cowl....(on order). I tried to show the service manager the ticking sound but it was too loud inside the service bay.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member
valve noises

Originally Posted by reako
I hear a faint noise like that from inside the car. Think I should take it back in for that? Already gotta go back for a new cowl....(on order). I tried to show the service manager the ticking sound but it was too loud inside the service bay.

holy sh...... see my post 128 on the other thread.

geo

Old 04-03-2011, 04:41 AM
Yea I had the noticed sent to me to come in and get it replaced

Old 04-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks spin out, I checked and my VIN isn't in that range. Although my dealer (Penske Honda) is really good, I didn't want the hassle.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:37 AM
Guys, before this Saturday I was one of the people who didn't understand those who are paranoid about this recall. That all changed when I took my wife's Fit for the recall to Rosen Honda in Gurnee IL. I dropped the car off in the morning at 8 am and went to pick it up at 5 pm. When I got in everything was all right. Did not notice any difference in engine sound. I did smell oil coming in through the vents when I turned on the heat. I though that this will air out in a few minutes. However, at the first traffic lights I saw smoke coming out from under my hood and the blue color and smell of oil. I did a u turn and drove straight to the dealership, parked it right in front of their main entrance, turned off the engine and went to get some help. The smoke was still coming out but I didn't want to get burned so I did not attempt to open the hood. They said that most likely some gasket wasn't seated properly. I just hope that they didn't do any permanent damage to my wife's car They are supposed to look at it on Monday and call me since service was closed already. I will update you once I hear back from the dealer, but I dont have a way to tell if they did any permanent damage. Any ideas of how I can protect myself in case problems develop later?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
Lol they probably forgot to reattach the PCV line or they tried to reuse the valve cover gasket, that's about all it could be otherwise the smoke would be coming out your tailpipe instead. Nothing to be scared about all easy fixes.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Lol they probably forgot to reattach the PCV line or they tried to reuse the valve cover gasket, that's about all it could be otherwise the smoke would be coming out your tailpipe instead. Nothing to be scared about all easy fixes.
First thing I thought of. Even if they re-use the gasket you can still RTV that sucker. Unless they did something unuterrably 'tarded all of the usual suspects do not involve long term issues.

I had a turbo oil return line where no matter how much I re-tightened the compression fittings (-10AN with SS line) I would still get a drip out of the CHRA and onto the downpipe which made for a nice sweet smokescreen if I turned the fans of.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
Moved to more appropriate thread.

Last edited by know-nothin; 04-04-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:21 AM
I called honda just to check it out. I live in NY with a 2010 sport. Honda states my car is not affected and my VIN doesn't pull up anything either. I suppose i will get something in the mail if something comes up.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
I'm finally done with honda I'm saying good bye just trade the fit in for a 2011 Kia sportage

Old 04-04-2011, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by anime2k3
I called honda just to check it out. I live in NY with a 2010 sport. Honda states my car is not affected and my VIN doesn't pull up anything either. I suppose i will get something in the mail if something comes up.

Same here-I called my dealer to be sure.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
Got the recall done. The work was done okay, but the service writer I dealt with was horrible. One pushy SOB who didn't want to take "No" for an answer.

Quick Reply: Honda announces recall