2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda announces recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:01 PM
hey guys, for anyone that is curious, because i am a service writer at Torrington Honda, what is done when recall is performed is that the techs need to wait about 1 hr before starting recall to let engine cool down. Windshield cowl needs to be removed, along with
valve cover. If tech finds that production date is before November 10th, 2009, then lost motion springs need to be replaced. Techs do need to perform a valve adjustment before re-assembling everything to prevent misfire dtc's from popping up after repairs

Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Then why are 2010 Fit's having the recall work done and dealers doing the work without removing the cowl and when pulling the rocker assembly a valve adjustment does need to be done for that reason and that reason alone and what might this say about service writers?

Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Well only selected 2010 models are qualified for this recall, only if product date was before 11/10/09, reason for adjusting valves is if an exhaust valve is loose after reinstalling valve cover, a cel may come on with a misfire code. I have seen it twice out of the 50 recalls we have performed

Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Does something bother u about what I have been saying or has ur local dealer been lying to u?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm thinking an awful lot of owners have come across with some rather interesting experiences regarding issue associated with dealer service and this recall. Here's a good time to hear a collective voice. Some have had no issues while others have gotten, what appears to be a run around. It's an opportunity to see feedback from a group devoted, for the most part, to the Honda Fit. That's all.

I've had nothing but good experiences with my dealer and, for t he most part, wave the flag for Honda Service.

You see Honda owners daily - Honda owners post daily in this forum on all sorts of issues.

Glad to see you have chosen to come on board and offer helpful info.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aaudia86
Well only selected 2010 models are qualified for this recall, only if product date was before 11/10/09, reason for adjusting valves is if an exhaust valve is loose after reinstalling valve cover, a cel may come on with a misfire code. I have seen it twice out of the 50 recalls we have performed

do you know (or could you find out) if they've found any damaged springs at your service dept?

i'm assuming the extreme majority of the old lost-motion springs were still fully functional and undamaged when replaced during the recall.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Yes with the 50 or so recalls we have completed we have not seen any damaged springs when performing the repair. The techs know that after installing the new springs that the old ones need to be sent back to American Honda

Old 04-07-2011, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Yes with the 50 or so recalls we have completed we have not seen any damaged springs when performing the repair. The techs know that after installing the new springs that the old ones need to be sent back to American Honda
thanks. obviously 50 isnt a big sample... but it's a start.

my dealer has done way over 100. i have no idea if they've found damaged springs. they have 10 techs specifically assigned to do the recall work.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
reason for adjusting valves is if an exhaust valve is loose after reinstalling valve cover
Actually, the service manual procedure calls for completely loosening all 16 valve clearance adjustments before even starting to remove the rocker assembly. So all 16 MUST be adjusted afterwards....there is no "IF" about it.

geo

Old 04-08-2011, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Is there a place online to put my VIN into to see if my Fit needs the recall.

I bought my fit in Dec 09.

I did get the recall notice in the mail, but do not want to get it done yet with all the problems people seem to have afterwards.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by britdevine
Is there a place online to put my VIN into to see if my Fit needs the recall.

I bought my fit in Dec 09.

I did get the recall notice in the mail, but do not want to get it done yet with all the problems people seem to have afterwards.
honda owners link

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login....Fprod_home.asp

If you got a notice...you do need the recall fix.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
honda owners link

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login....Fprod_home.asp

If you got a notice...you do need the recall fix.
If you got a notice, then your car at least needs to have the tech take a look at the production date marked on the top of the rocker assembly. If the rocker arm assembly was built before november 20, 2009, then they are supposed to replace the LMS.

Since you bought your car in december 2009, the rocker arm assembly was certainly made before november 20.....so you'll need the LMS replaced.

That said, there is no harm in waiting until they get parts again and (more importantly) learn how to get it done right the first time. If I could get the LMS and those neat little holders they show in the recall bulletin, I'd be doing this one myself.

geo

Old 04-09-2011, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by krymar1
Guys, before this Saturday I was one of the people who didn't understand those who are paranoid about this recall. That all changed when I took my wife's Fit for the recall to Rosen Honda in Gurnee IL. I dropped the car off in the morning at 8 am and went to pick it up at 5 pm. When I got in everything was all right. Did not notice any difference in engine sound. I did smell oil coming in through the vents when I turned on the heat. I though that this will air out in a few minutes. However, at the first traffic lights I saw smoke coming out from under my hood and the blue color and smell of oil. I did a u turn and drove straight to the dealership, parked it right in front of their main entrance, turned off the engine and went to get some help. The smoke was still coming out but I didn't want to get burned so I did not attempt to open the hood. They said that most likely some gasket wasn't seated properly. I just hope that they didn't do any permanent damage to my wife's car They are supposed to look at it on Monday and call me since service was closed already. I will update you once I hear back from the dealer, but I dont have a way to tell if they did any permanent damage. Any ideas of how I can protect myself in case problems develop later?
Just wanted to provide an update. Supposedly during the work involved with this recall some oil dripped on the exhaust pipe coming out of the engine. Since it heats up a lot, it started burning up the oil, hence the blue smoke that i saw. At least this is the explanation my dealer provided to me. Everything is running fine now.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:07 AM
I had mine done last week at Findlay Honda in Flagstaff. They seem to have done a fine job. I dropped the car off the night before, and just before noon, I was able to swing by to get the keys. Cowl seems to be on fine, and the valve adjustment quieted down all of the tick I had. Manifest has the motion springs listed. Good job.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by runbikerun
Anyone know if this could be the cause of the engine ticking sound I keep hearing?
I now hear a tick! I had the "fix" for the recall - and I now hear a tick. car sounds like a sewing machine.
I brought it back the next day and the mechanic who "fixed it" took a ride with me. He heard nothing odd, he said.
But I hear a distinct tick tick tick tick tick - it's over on the right hand side, like buy the passenger's knees.

what is it? should I take it back and insist they re-do it?

Old 04-22-2011, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
ticka ticka

Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I understand this, but the car had a distinct "ticka-ticka" noise that wasn't there before. I took it back and asked the service manager's opinion of it. He listened for 5 seconds and said "that's not right". He had me bring the car back the next day, and they readjusted the valves. All is well now. the engine sounds like it did when it was new.
i guess I have to plan to take my ticka ticka ticka ticher in again too then. I don't like that ticka ticka tick. what IS that ticka ticka ticka?

Old 04-22-2011, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by clicq
... I was hearing some pretty loud ticking noises at anything over idle. I took it back to the dealer, had a tech listen to it, and he agreed the valves needed to be readjusted..
ah - so the ticka ticka ticka is ... valves. ok

Old 04-22-2011, 01:50 AM
I live 800 miles away from my parents, where the notice would have been sent. (I'm in college, they pay for the car).

They haven't said anything about a notice, and they would have called me in the middle of the night if need be.

I really hope they don't have to crack my engine open.

Purchased my '10 fit in July 2010.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Hi guys, I'm from Panama and I have a Honda Fit Sport 2008 presented the engine noise is commenting on this post. is LA1 engine VTEC

I wonder if my Fit Sport 2008 applies to the recall

VIN: JHMGD38668S028106

Quick Reply: Honda announces recall