2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues After Lost Motion Spring Recall

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Oldsavage2
I took my 09 Fit in to have a 30K service and LMS recall a couple of months ago. I did notice a louder than normal valve train after picking up the car.Seemed a bit down on power also.. I spoke to the service manager about it over the phone and was told to bring the car in at my convenience and they would listen to it and adjust the valves if needed. I drove the car for 5K miles more before bringing it back to the dealer this past weekend. The service manager said " If you think the valves are noisy, then they probably are." They did a valve adjustment and I had them change the oil while I was there. The car is definately running and sounding like it should now. Power is better also. I think the service people are very aware of problems with this recall work. Honda of Nanuet took good care of me. Did their best to accomadate me as a customer. Right now the car is running like new. Be aware though when you get the LMS work done. Listen to your car before you drop it off to have the work done. You will be much less likely to imagine valve noise or dismiss it as normal if you give it a good listen and mentally remember the sound before you leave it....
Also, did your dealer charge you for the valve adjustment after the recall work? I'm nervous about them telling me I need to plop down a bunch of money for them to adjust the valves.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:10 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone still haven't got their LMS done yet? I haven't done my yet and was wondering did anyone schedule their appointment through the Ownerlink on Honda?

Last edited by Neebs; 07-17-2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
No, I have not done mine yet.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
I'm reluctant to take mine in right now.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't either......but my plan is to do it myself. The horror stories have convinced me the odds of a screwup by the dealer techs are higher than the cost/hassle for me to get the parts and NOT screwup.

geo

Old 07-17-2011, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by geomarathoner
I haven't either......but my plan is to do it myself. The horror stories have convinced me the odds of a screwup by the dealer techs are higher than the cost/hassle for me to get the parts and NOT screwup.

geo
I agree with you on that.

I wish I can get the replacement parts and I can do it myself.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
The alternative to having the LMS recall done, severe engine damage, is worse.

Get it done. If you have a problem or concern take it back to the dealer.

I had mine done with no ill effects. Of course, I was a woman before.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
I've decided not to do it. But I also don't plan to let any engine survive long enough to need one.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I've decided not to do it. But I also don't plan to let any engine survive long enough to need one.
Best reason I've seen so far - +rep to you Nightroad

EDIT: Dang they wont let me....

Old 07-19-2011, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Love it.....but since you'll be the Doctor Frankenstein you can just check the manufacture date on the whole rocker assembly and use the one(s) not needing LMS changes anyway.

Unless ya grenade the valve train somehow......!

geo

Old 07-19-2011, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitit2010
It looks like the technician did not seat/seal the intake cooling hoses correctly. Looks like there is some coolant residue on the intake. Anyone else experience this?

I took it into the dealer, and they replaced the hose under warrantee.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitit2010
I took it into the dealer, and they replaced the hose under warrantee.
Honda type 2 is a pretty blue don't ya think?

Old 07-20-2011, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Well I am back sadly. I was the first one to get my car done at my dealer and had to deal with the whole cowl debacle.

Now a few months later I go to change my tranny fluid by find oil all over the bottom of the engine. Tracing it back up it looks like it is coming from around where the value cover is.

Shesh, I am just glad that Honda tech is not a surgeon. I was hoping to get a reliable car for Med school but leave it to the tech to screw up that plan. I wish I had done the recall myself and saved myself all the return trips to the dealer.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Krimson--I repped Lyon for ya.

I got my recall done, no problems but I told them to take care of my baby and onced her over when she got back.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Krimson--I repped Lyon for ya.

I got my recall done, no problems but I told them to take care of my baby and onced her over when she got back.
Thanks for the favor, +reps to you brother for filling in for me....

Interesting how the recall experiences go.
IN2TURBOS
I hope the service guys took care of your Fit, replaced the valve cover gasket and steam cleaned the engine. Nothing would piss me of more than having my FIT returned with an oil dripping engine. My '96 Sedan Deville suffered from the notorious oil pan gasket leak. To replace a relatively simple gasket you need to pull the engine on that vintage Northstar Cadillac. Needless to say I never did and cursed GM over it.

I really don't want to start cursing Honda and so far I have nothing but praise for them. Incompetent Tech's can ruin anyone's day at any time, any place. Ever get a well done steak when you're drooling for a medium rare???

Old 07-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sorry to hear about problems on recalls but one the reasons why i dont usually take my car for recall repair immediately is because i want the techs to be familar with the work. (let others be test vehicles. )

i had mine done a while ago and came out perfect, i think. i didnt take a close look at their work but i didnt see anything out of place when i did a few fluid level checks after the work. my oil level is fine, coolant is fine, no spills, no scratches that i could see.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
I said the heck with it and had mine done today.

Arrived at 10:30am, (think they started around twelvish, car was still in parking lot when I left) and finished at around 1:55pm. They replaced the bad LMS, and so far no problems hasn't came up yet.

The car might sound a little quieter, but it's probably the same as before the recall. So, this recall is something no longer lingers in the back of my mind.

Last edited by Neebs; 07-22-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
It's the old sales versus service. Neither gives "@*&$$%** about the other side of the house. Two separate entities.The only hope you have is generous use of a ball peen hammer.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:04 AM
Funny Idle

i have suddenly noticed that my GE rumbles a little bit as to decrease in rpm's, and feel as if the engine were to almost turn off when at a stop. Really weird. Im going to have my Honda Techs take another look.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
6k mile update since the LMS recall

It's been 6k miles and 4 months later and no issues at all. The engine is still running like a top. I do have one broken clip but it's not broken all the way off and I'm debating on whether or not to say anything when I take the car in for the state inspection next month.

~SB

Quick Reply: Issues After Lost Motion Spring Recall