2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues After Lost Motion Spring Recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
damn, not me too!!!

So recently I was dealing with a burning plastic smell (another thread and have since found the plastic residue on my exhaust) I have also been dealing with a buzzing sound while accelerating, when rpms are 2500 to 3500...

sooo I wanted to check heat shields and exhaust manifolds which lead me to remove the cowl myself. Thats when I noticed:

1) the wiper motor seemed loose. I did notice the blades slapping the cowl occasionally and the drivers side stuck a bit much. After removing the cowl and noticing broken clips and such I noticed they never replaced the bolt holding the right side of the motor!!!

a little peeved I checked the left side and sure enough another bolt was never replaced and the bolt next to it was a few potholes away from flying out and into the engine bay!

After about an hr of shopping around I replaced the two bolts and tightened all the rest out of an "abundance of caution". I got that one from Sony PR after the network went down

but seriously, anyone getting this recall done should double check the quality of the work done before driving away...I understand the quality of techs differ from place to place and day to day, but leaving screws out cuz its hard to reach???

I havent driven yet but hope the buzzing sound stops now. May have to open a thread for that one soon

Old 05-09-2011, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
Are there any changes/updates on VIN affected by the recall or they still remain the same? I dodged the recall bullet and would like to keep it that way.
I don't remember seeing VIN range changes, but there is supposed to be at least one update to TSB 11-010 since 02/19. It wasn't posted anywhere the last time I checked--probably 2-3 wks ago.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by mkchiu
I don't remember seeing VIN range changes, but there is supposed to be at least one update to TSB 11-010 since 02/19. It wasn't posted anywhere the last time I checked--probably 2-3 wks ago.
What ? A VIN number is your serial number, every car has a different one ,it let`s police or the dealer know who the car belong`s to. What has that got to do with anything?

Old 05-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by oldtart
What ? A VIN number is your serial number, every car has a different one ,it let`s police or the dealer know who the car belong`s to. What has that got to do with anything?
You answered your own question without knowing it.

V.ehicle
I.dentification
N.umber

The VIN is used by Manufacturer's for traceability also. It can identify production dates, manufacturing process, materials, etc. When recalls are announced the scope of recall is always determined by a specific VIN range.

_

Old 05-25-2011, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
Sometimes you say, it won't happent to me. You take all the precautions, you can.

So I took pictures of the car before getting the recall done. I tell the service guy, I heard a lot of people were getting their clips broken during the recall. He assures me, they don't do that, they had problems in the beginning and not anymore.

So I pick up the car. Low and behold, 4 clips broken and a cracked molding. It can only happend to me...haha..

I go in tomorrow morning to see the service manager. I pointed it out to the service guy before I left. I feel really good since I took pictures and video thanks to this post before taking it in.

Will update soon.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by moolman
Sometimes you say, it won't happent to me. You take all the precautions, you can.

So I took pictures of the car before getting the recall done. I tell the service guy, I heard a lot of people were getting their clips broken during the recall. He assures me, they don't do that, they had problems in the beginning and not anymore.

So I pick up the car. Low and behold, 4 clips broken and a cracked molding. It can only happend to me...haha..

I go in tomorrow morning to see the service manager. I pointed it out to the service guy before I left. I feel really good since I took pictures and video thanks to this post before taking it in.

Will update soon.
Wow....and the dealers got an updated 6-page tech bulletin which included specific instructions as to how to use a certain tool to avoid breaking those clips......from page 2:

"NOTE: The cowl cover and clips are easily broken if they are not removed carefully. Make sure you use the applicable KTC trim tool."

And this is part of the email cover note sent to the dealsers:

"A special Tech2Tech video will be available on April 11th, 2011. This video will address specific areas that dealer technicians are having difficulty with. These have resulted in unnecessary parts replacements of cylinder head cover gaskets, rocker shaft bolts, cowl covers and cowl clips."

Ya might ask them if they have people who know how to use the KTC trim tool and have seen the Tech2Tech video.

geo

Old 05-26-2011, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
I was just informed the cowl cover is on nationwide backorder until mid-July is that right. My wife is mad, she's asking that we get something from the dealer for our troubles but I don't know what haha.. those clowns also cut a new key for me for $100. I don't do oil changes at the dealership, I do those at home. I wouldn't trust them clowns with anything on the car now. I'm just hoping they replaced the LMS in the engine correctly. Good thing my car is under warranty for a bit longer.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
It looks like the technician did not seat/seal the intake cooling hoses correctly. Looks like there is some coolant residue on the intake. Anyone else experience this?
Name:  IMAG1035.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  60.6 KB
Name:  IMAG1036.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  115.8 KB

Old 05-26-2011, 01:54 PM
s30
I had mine done at Anderson Honda in Palo Alto, CA. Overall the work was good, but the clips was broken and lots of scratches on the front and side cowl from the repairs. It took a good three weeks for the center cowl to get in and still pending for the side cowl.

I'm so thankful for this tread or I would of never paid attention to all the details.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
hmm...I'm taking my Fit in 3 weeks. I wonder if I should remove my PRM intake. I shouldn't have to but you never know.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by moolman
I was just informed the cowl cover is on nationwide backorder until mid-July is that right. My wife is mad, she's asking that we get something from the dealer for our troubles but I don't know what haha..
Wow, I'm amazed that dealers are still screwing this up more than two months after I started this thread. I'm glad the thread is helping people know what to look for with these recall issues.

As far as getting some sort of compensation or freebie from the dealer, I chose not to push for anything. I didn't want the dealer to get any impression that I would accept substandard work in exchange for a freebie. I just pushed for having the work done right.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
I brought my fit for the recall at my dealer, Honda of Nanuet in Rockland County, NY. And it happened to me. The tech broke the clips as well as the hinge cover on the passenger side. I brought it back and they replaced it. But they did mention that there was a shortage of the cowl. So I wonder where they got the replacement from.
Thank you for this thread. It is very useful.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Anyone having issues with extended crank after the LMA recall?

I had the valve lash rechecked and it was off after some excessive hot-idle noise. The service manager assured me everything was taken care of. At the time, they dismissed the extended crank as a result of the ECM reset, which I bought for about 20 minutes.

I can't possibly think of anything they would have disconnected that would cause an extended crank, almost like the fuel pressure is bleeding down.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bmxman
hmm...I'm taking my Fit in 3 weeks. I wonder if I should remove my PRM intake. I shouldn't have to but you never know.
I'm bringing mine in fully modified and with my PRM intake. I'll see what they have to say on wednesday.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by geomarathoner
Wow....and the dealers got an updated 6-page tech bulletin which included specific instructions as to how to use a certain tool to avoid breaking those clips......from page 2:

"NOTE: The cowl cover and clips are easily broken if they are not removed carefully. Make sure you use the applicable KTC trim tool."

And this is part of the email cover note sent to the dealsers:

"A special Tech2Tech video will be available on April 11th, 2011. This video will address specific areas that dealer technicians are having difficulty with. These have resulted in unnecessary parts replacements of cylinder head cover gaskets, rocker shaft bolts, cowl covers and cowl clips."

Ya might ask them if they have people who know how to use the KTC trim tool and have seen the Tech2Tech video.

geo
im not saying broken clips are acceptable, but at the same time you need to realize flat rate tech are getting f'ed pretty bad by this recall. we get 1.4 hours to take apart your car, replace the springs and perform a valve adjustment. i personally dont even take the cowl off, no reason to. remove the battery tie down, bend the computer back and the airbox comes right out. anyways like i said, no excuse for shoddy work, but dudes are hustling to make a living. i just feel like this whole thread has been nothing but rippin on the techs who work on the cars

Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackvitzrs
I'm bringing mine in fully modified and with my PRM intake. I'll see what they have to say on wednesday.
cool I'll be waiting

Old 05-29-2011, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitisno
im not saying broken clips are acceptable, but at the same time you need to realize flat rate tech are getting f'ed pretty bad by this recall. we get 1.4 hours to take apart your car, replace the springs and perform a valve adjustment. i personally dont even take the cowl off, no reason to. remove the battery tie down, bend the computer back and the airbox comes right out. anyways like i said, no excuse for shoddy work, but dudes are hustling to make a living. i just feel like this whole thread has been nothing but rippin on the techs who work on the cars
Yea but calling people on shitty work is calling it right. 1.4 hours of labor or not what's the point of doing it if it isn't done right. Those hustling to do it fast and f'ing it up risk further damaging someone's car.
It sounds like a lose-lose for the techs.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:54 AM
Update:

Seven weeks, four visits to the dealership. First time back, they redid the valve adjustment, which worked for about 3 days, then got worse and worse until a week later the shaking and violent windshield wiper vibrations were worse than ever.

GM at the dealership offered to redo the recall work (which I didn't care about, I just wanted the car fixed). They redid the recall work, including another valve adjustment. Again it worked for about 3 days, then got worse and worse. They gave me engine "snapshot" printouts to prove that my Fit was exactly the same as other 2009s and as a new car -- except the snapshot showed engine misfiring in one of the cylinders. Plus the violent windshield wiper shake was getting so bad I was afraid to drive the car.

While picking my wife's car up from the independent mechanic who's worked on our cars for years, I talked to him briefly about my problems with the car. He looked at the car, felt it, said "yeah, it's vibrating a lot more than it should," but didn't think the engine was misfiring. He suggested that the engine mounting bolts were not properly adjusted and were not absorbing engine vibration, but transferring it directly to the body. He also added that, since there is very little clearance for the valves, it's possible they damaged one of them when they did the initial work at the beginning of April.

So I brought it back to the dealer again, this time with the Honda rep there and he and the Service Manager tried to tell me there was no difference between my car and another 2009 fit even though my car was shaking about 100 times worse and the wiper was visibly moving nearly 3 inches when the car idled.

The GM of the dealership took one look at the vibrating windshield wiper arm (which the Honda rep and the service manager were shrugging off) and agreed to have the service tech double-check the engine mounting bolts.

When they were done, the Honda rep had left (without going with me on a test drive of my car and another 2009 Fit as he promised). I started driving off and nearly turned around after a mile because the shaking was still bad.

After driving it for a few days, it seems like the shaking is much less than it's been since I first took the car in -- but still much more than it was before I had the work done.

I'm considering bringing it to a different dealer and paying them to do a thorough engine diagnostic workup -- if they find something the first dealer damaged, then Honda would pay for it and if they find something that's defective and causing the problems then Honda would pay for it. If they don't find anything, then I'd pay for the diagnostics... and I can decide if I can live with the damage the first dealer did to the car or if I want to get rid of it and get something else.

Once again... wishing I'd never taken the car in to have this work done.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences.
Thank you for posting this.
These kinds of fears are precisely why I haven't taken mine in for the recall work.

They may have damaged the camshafts the first time when they tightened the bolts with the wrong torque specs...

Old 05-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by krakhed
Yea but calling people on shitty work is calling it right. 1.4 hours of labor or not what's the point of doing it if it isn't done right. Those hustling to do it fast and f'ing it up risk further damaging someone's car.
It sounds like a lose-lose for the techs.
it is a lose-lose for the techs. we either hustle to put food on the table for our families or take our time and come home with 35hrs flagged for the week. like i said, im not defending shoddy work, it just seems like this thread is just bashing techs non stop.

Quick Reply: Issues After Lost Motion Spring Recall