2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone done a full brake upgrade on their GE8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Anyone done a full brake upgrade on their GE8?

Not just adding rear disc but also upgrade the fronts to bigger rotors, calipers, and pads?

I just had my rotors turned and pads replaced for the second time. Bought the car in Dec. 08.

Would a brake upgrade even make a difference in the number of times I have to change the pads or is it just that I drive so dame much? Car has 55k now.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by mikejet
Not just adding rear disc but also upgrade the fronts to bigger rotors, calipers, and pads?

I just had my rotors turned and pads replaced for the second time. Bought the car in Dec. 08.

Would a brake upgrade even make a difference in the number of times I have to change the pads or is it just that I drive so dame much? Car has 55k now.
Only 55k and you've done brakes twice already? I wouldn't even expect to replace brakes for the first time at that mileage. You must have an AT and brake really hard.

_

Old 04-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Only 55k and you've done brakes twice already? I wouldn't even expect to replace brakes for the first time at that mileage. You must have an AT and brake really hard.

_

Yeah it's an AT and I drive pretty aggressively

The first time I had to replace it was at 25k

Old 04-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Everything is a variable and looking at where he's from, he's either a leadfoot or dealing with the SoCal stop and go traffic eats up rotors and pads. On my previous Hondas, I've replaced the rear pads from 15K to 20K miles. Front go shortly after that and replaced the rotors once, turned another time. I deal with a lot of stop and go traffic as well as hills. I'll admit I'm a leadfoot that leads to heavy braking, too.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mikejet

Yeah it's an AT and I drive pretty aggressively

The first time I had to replace it was at 25k

Just out of curiosity whose pads did you use? Don't remember W Covina being very hilly or crooked roads but 25k is a bit soon even for those of us who track our Fits and A/X as well.

Last edited by mahout; 04-21-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm still at 50% on my original pads at 67k miles - I'm impressed you're going through them that fast!

Old 04-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Just out of curiosity whose pads did you use? Don't remember W Covina being very hilly or crooked roads but 25k is a bit soon even for those of us who track our Fits and A/X as well.
Honda pads. Also a few times at GMR are bad if you are heavy on the brakes.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Gmr will definitely glaze oem pads and rotors. If not you will cook your brake fluid and get brake hose expansion(brake pedal to the floor with no slowing). If you want a decent upgrade on the entire braking system, get brembo blanks and hawk pads. You can go further and flush the fluid with better heat resistance and upgrade the lines to steel braided.

I hated how the oem rotors warped with a single downhill pass at angeles crest so I went and upgraded everything but the calipers.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by JJIN
Gmr will definitely glaze oem pads and rotors. If not you will cook your brake fluid and get brake hose expansion(brake pedal to the floor with no slowing). If you want a decent upgrade on the entire braking system, get brembo blanks and hawk pads. You can go further and flush the fluid with better heat resistance and upgrade the lines to steel braided.

I hated how the oem rotors warped with a single downhill pass at angeles crest so I went and upgraded everything but the calipers.
The Brembo blanks and Hawks pads sounds like something I can definitely do.

What about a rear disc conversion? How involved is that?

Old 04-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Fastbrakes.com sells a conversion. It'd take a bit of work, but wouldn't be terribly hard. According to them, you'd keep the OEM master cylinder, which is nice A bit spendy, but if you're that rough on brakes, might well be worth it- Mark W.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Banned
Just do the fronts if you need bigger brakes. Back brakes don't do a whole lot of work on a fwd car. Have you had to replace the drums?

Are you warping rotors? If so you can alter your driving to help with that. One of the main things that causes rotors to warp is making a long stop and then sitting with the brakes on (which you have to do with an auto).

What happens is the rotors get hot and then cool down after you stop. Problem is the rotors can't cool where the pads are against them so the rotors warp from cooling unevenly.

I would try the better pads and if you're getting warpage just try to come to a stop more gradually. Slow down early and inch your way up to the stop. That way the rotors will cool more evenly.

Disc brakes look nice but won't help you much on a FWD car.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:50 AM
^ Agreed. On your average front-engine car, the front brakes are doing ~60-70% of the work. Fastbrakes also makes a bolt-on 11" front rotor kit for the Fits for ~$600. They also have bigger 12" kits for ~$900-1000. VERY not bad, for what you get- Mark W.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
What about swapping from other o.e honda brake kits?

Like from the cr-z? I'm pretty sure the front rotor and caliper are bigger.

Jjin: where can you get brembo blanks?

Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 AM
does any1 know the diameter of the front rotors on a ge8 ?

Old 04-25-2011, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Anton
does any1 know the diameter of the front rotors on a ge8 ?
Check the thread you created on this. Thee are links with rotors. Also, the Rotor is the same one used on the Integra GS-R and the previous Gen FIT.

~SB

Old 04-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by eldaino
What about swapping from other o.e honda brake kits?

Like from the cr-z? I'm pretty sure the front rotor and caliper are bigger.
The CR-Z is too new and too uncommon to find junkyard parts to make it cheap enough, yet. In a few years, maybe- Mark W.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:00 AM
CRZ is 5-lug. You'd have to change the knuckles as well. Probably easiest to purchase a complete swap kit from fastbrakes. Next best alternative would be sourcing a JDM rear disc conversion.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Chad T
Just do the fronts if you need bigger brakes. Back brakes don't do a whole lot of work on a fwd car. Have you had to replace the drums?

Are you warping rotors? If so you can alter your driving to help with that. One of the main things that causes rotors to warp is making a long stop and then sitting with the brakes on (which you have to do with an auto).

What happens is the rotors get hot and then cool down after you stop. Problem is the rotors can't cool where the pads are against them so the rotors warp from cooling unevenly.

I would try the better pads and if you're getting warpage just try to come to a stop more gradually. Slow down early and inch your way up to the stop. That way the rotors will cool more evenly.

Disc brakes look nice but won't help you much on a FWD car.
Haven't warped any rotors. I'm going to try the Brembo blanks and better pads.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Mike, I upgraded my brake system at 30,000 miles over a year ago. Let me know if you need me to order you any parts or if you need to come to the shop for service.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:41 PM
speaking of crz being 5 lug. . . it also has discs in the back. seeing as how alot of the crz is a fit from my understanding, i wonder what it would take to get that rear beam with disc brakes on the fit