2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

home made front lip

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
home made front lip

i got the garage door liner and put it on yesterday
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-22-2011, 02:54 PM
that looks really good on the base. subtle and clean.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
All that I need now is the oem Honda fogs

Old 04-23-2011, 06:45 PM
very nice, where did you get the materials

Old 04-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Lightbulb

I think I'm going to look into this myself but upon seeing your pic I need something else first....a set of springs Oh and btw, wrap those gelcoat mirrors with some CF vinyl too!

How did you install this, a nice write up could net you some rep

Old 04-23-2011, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
I went to lowes got a bunch of self tapping screws the bottom lining of the garage door the rubber thing and made a bunch of holes and put them in very easy to do

Old 04-23-2011, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GE8FTW
I went to lowes got a bunch of self tapping screws the bottom lining of the garage door the rubber thing and made a bunch of holes and put them in very easy to do
I was in Lowe's today myself.. Their hardware prices are really climbing.. I have thought of doing the same thing as you have done and might get around to it sometime... I have wondered if it would be possible to use some small fender washers with the self tapping screws or would they create a wavy appearance? What you have done works well on a base model in both function and in creating a lower appearance.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I was in Lowe's today myself.. Their hardware prices are really climbing.. I have thought of doing the same thing as you have done and might get around to it sometime... I have wondered if it would be possible to use some small fender washers with the self tapping screws or would they create a wavy appearance? What you have done works well on a base model in both function and in creating a lower appearance.
You have to use the self tapping screws and allot of them ore elase it will be really wavy there is no easy way around it and double sided tape wont work don't waste your money :]

Old 04-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by Klasse Act
I think I'm going to look into this myself but upon seeing your pic I need something else first....a set of springs Oh and btw, wrap those gelcoat mirrors with some CF vinyl too!

How did you install this, a nice write up could net you some rep
there's already an existing DIY for this. i'm sure its the exact same for the base as it is for the sport.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...front-lip.html

Old 04-24-2011, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GE8FTW
You have to use the self tapping screws and allot of them ore elase it will be really wavy there is no easy way around it and double sided tape wont work don't waste your money :]
How about flat steel/aluminum "bars"? Say 1" or just 1/2" wide, 1/4 or 1/8" thick and of varying lengths.

Basically, instead of having a bunch of screws... you use two screws to hold a piece of metal that then holds the part of the "lip" to the car. 4, 5 or 6 pieces should be able to get you around the curve of the bumper. If you want, you can do the same on the inside of the bumper to make it REALLY secure and change the screws to little nuts and bolts.

Hum, what's the point of this lip anyway? Just looks? I think it'd be kinda goofy though... at higher speeds, if a person in a neighboring car were to look at your lip, they'd see it flapping around a bit. It's "hard rubber," but it will still move to wind at higher speeds.

Last edited by Goobers; 04-24-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
How about flat steel/aluminum "bars"? Say 1" or just 1/2" wide, 1/4 or 1/8" thick and of varying lengths.

Basically, instead of having a bunch of screws... you use two screws to hold a piece of metal that then holds the part of the "lip" to the car. 4, 5 or 6 pieces should be able to get you around the curve of the bumper. If you want, you can do the same on the inside of the bumper to make it REALLY secure and change the screws to little nuts and bolts.

Hum, what's the point of this lip anyway? Just looks? I think it'd be kinda goofy though... at higher speeds, if a person in a neighboring car were to look at your lip, they'd see it flapping around a bit. It's "hard rubber," but it will still move to wind at higher speeds.
1/2 inch aluminum angle and pop rivets and small fender washers on the inside... The angle used on the bottom would add rigidity to cut down on flapping and cutting V shaped notches on the part that is drilled would make it bendable to follow the contour of the lip...

Old 04-26-2011, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
.....interesting....a garage door bottom seal......but does the hood pop open when your neighbor pushes the button on his garage door opener???

geo

Old 04-26-2011, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by geomarathoner
.....interesting....a garage door bottom seal......but does the hood pop open when your neighbor pushes the button on his garage door opener???

geo
Haahaha very funny!!!!

Old 04-29-2011, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Reminds me of my SiR lip on my old Honda Civic.

Nice job.