2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling Noise - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Rattling Noise - Please Help

Hi, i recently purchased a new base Fit with manual transmission and i noticed that sometimes when i start the car, i hear a rattlling noise coming from the engine area. Sometimes it goes away by itself after a couple of seconds, or sometimes it goes away after i step on and release the clutch. The noise sounds tinny and hollow. I also notice it sometimes when i'm driving in first and second gear. The noise occurs intermittently. I'm definitely bringing it back to the dealership next week, but i'm wondering if anyone here knows what it could be? I'm really bummed that this is happening and it makes me paranoid that i'm going to have a lot of problems with this car in the future.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
The exhaust heat shield on the GD models would cause a sound like that if they worked loose and needed to be tightened up.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
The exhaust heat shield on the GD models would cause a sound like that if they worked loose and needed to be tightened up.
Thank you. That explanation makes sense. I hope it is something that minor. Phew...

What does GD stand for?

Old 04-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Old story, a man bought a brand new Caddy. It had a rattle, drove him nuts. Had it in and out of the dealer several times. Finally they found the problem, there was a loose nut in the door with a note on it. The note said I hope you had a hard time finding this you rich SOB!Yours will say

あなたが豊かなこちらにあなたを見つけている困難な時がすすり泣くようにしたことを希望してく ださい

JIm 0311

Old 05-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Suggest you take a quick look under the hood before you take it back to the dealer. Maybe a missing fastener, hood prop not secured, air filter clips not on, etc. Your noise could easily be a vibration only occuring a certain rpm. Higher rpm generally means more vibration, so cold start with choke, or 1st & 2nd gear driving is when rpms higher and maybe why it is intermittent.

_

Old 05-01-2011, 08:34 AM
i have the same exact noise on my 2011 m/t sport. at first i thought it was a clutch bearing, but after listening to it more with the hood open, sounds almost like a bad pulley on the drive belt. let me know what your dealership does and if it fixes it

Old 05-02-2011, 09:54 PM
I couldn't get the rattling noise to happen at the dealership. They couldn't find anything that would cause the rattling noise either, so if they can't see or hear what's causing the noise, then they said there is nothing else they could do other than running the standard visual inspection and diagnostics. The car appears to be operating normally. They recommended for me to keep an eye/ear on it and if it happens more frequently, then to bring the car back in. I had a feeling that they wouldn't be able to do anything about it due to the intermittent nature of the noise. Well, at least the good news is that i haven't heard the noise in 2 days. I'm hoping that the noise was caused by something minor that will fix itself.

Last edited by modlane; 05-02-2011 at 09:57 PM.