2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attempted theft questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Attempted theft questions

So the other day somebody smashed my passenger side window rummaged through my glove box and removed the fuse cover from under the driver seat and the seat was pushed back and emergency brake was off. When I found the car after work there was nothing missing from it, change was left in the cup holder, ipod cord left in the usb and baseball glove was sitting in the back seat where I left it.

Anyways despite the police ruling it as an attempted theft the local insurance company (let it be noted i live in manitoba and there is only 1 option for car insurance) they state that the police are not experts in this matter and because there was no damage to the ignition housing it was not attempted theft (according to them that is the one and only way to steal a car I have no clue)

Enough backstory the question is. Is there any benefit to someone looking to steal a car to access all the wiring located under the steering column?

Old 06-02-2011, 02:48 PM
An old school hot wiring would involve going under the dash. That's where the ignition lead would end up. Though you'd have to also bypass the steering wheel lock and the fuel pump cutoff, so more would be involved. The thief might have been looking for an easy grab and thought your car was a bit older and thus easier to steal.

As likely they were trying to steal stuff (electronics, cash, drugs). I could see some people hiding spare cash in less obvious places like behind the fuse panel, or at least thieves believing that. The same way that every time I've had a home break in they always go through my freezer.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Sounds like they were looking hard for anything of value and most likely trying to figure out some way to jack the car. Glad that they did not do any further damage and your car never got stolen. My friends VW GTI was stolen and taken out to the woods and set on fire. Hope it never happens again!