2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

DRL with HID any problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 PM
DRL with HID any problem?

Hey guys, ive tried searching but cant find any definetive matches for it, but do HID's affect the DRL like throw the lights, or just plain not work? Want some since ive had them on pretty much every other car ive owned recently. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
HIDs are finicky with DRLs.

Depending on how you set it up (relay vs no relay) it can range from annoying to other drivers or devastating to your HIDs.

With a relay, the DRL will trigger your HIDs, in high beam mode. So, while the car is indicating DRL mode, you're high beaming everyone on the road.

With NO relay, the DRL mode would wreck havoc with the ballast. It won't be getting full power to operate correctly, which would cause it to eventually fail, talking the whole system down.

You wouldn't want either case, would you?

For the time being, there's no relay system to properly work with DRL, so the solution is to either disable the DRL (pull fuse #15), or the much harder task of rewiring a threshold relay system to divert the DRL mode to a separate light/LED.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:10 PM
had my installer remove i believe a fuse and the HID's come on only when i turn the head lights on... i no longer have DRL during all driving. I like it better like this so that i dont waste hours on the HID bulbs...

i know DRL are for safety to some, but if thats the issue just dont remove the fuse and it will run the HID all day... but you get an annoying DRL light on in the dash!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
HIDs are finicky with DRLs.

Depending on how you set it up (relay vs no relay) it can range from annoying to other drivers or devastating to your HIDs.

With a relay, the DRL will trigger your HIDs, in high beam mode. So, while the car is indicating DRL mode, you're high beaming everyone on the road.

With NO relay, the DRL mode would wreck havoc with the ballast. It won't be getting full power to operate correctly, which would cause it to eventually fail, talking the whole system down.

You wouldn't want either case, would you?

For the time being, there's no relay system to properly work with DRL, so the solution is to either disable the DRL (pull fuse #15), or the much harder task of rewiring a threshold relay system to divert the DRL mode to a separate light/LED.
ill pull fuse 15. thanks so much

Old 06-09-2011, 07:25 PM
i had same problem after i installed my HID kit. i removed the fuse which took 5 min. tops, and all was good in the hood (no pun intended)

Old 06-09-2011, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
yep - what they have been saying is correct - if you don't pull the fuse, bad things will either happen to your ballast, or your HID's will be in high beam mode all the time, which isn't good.

What I ended up doing was getting these high-power LED's (make sure they're bright enough so they aren't useless!, I ended up getting the CW5 series from superbrightleds.com) that I installed on the lower grille, and hooked that up to the parking breaks - so during the day I will just turn the parking breaks on. The particular type of LED DRL's have a relay so that if you turn on your regular headlights, the LEDs will then turn off so you don't blind everyone at night with the bright DRL's.

There's a few more things to look into that I've never tried..

1) I know some plug and play HID's come WITH an integrated halogen high beam - instead of the bi-xenon's you'll see people using with retrofits. This, I'm pretty sure will work without changing anything since all the DRL's do is turn the high beams on at lower power, so if you actually have a physical halogen high beam, this should be able to work but it depends on what kind of relay you are using etc, but it's worth a shot.
2) You can tap the fuse for the DRL's (I think you can use something called: "add a fuse" or something like that) and have that power the DRL LED's, not sure about the warning light or what not though.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Canceler/Capacitor

Anybody have any experience with these? I've read that you can get rid of the error on the dash and the flickering problems, etc using a canceler or capacitor (different sites call them one or the other).

Supposedly they allow you to keep the DRL function without the issues. I'm thinking about giving it a try, they average about $20.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
lol. I just solved this problem five minutes ago doing my install.

I have led rings on a relay harness separate from the HIDs, the relay harness is then triggered by the ignition switch. Pretty simple. Also removed fuse 15

Granted, it won't turn on when you release the handbrake like the actual DRLs, but I think having them come on with the ignition instead makes no difference in reality.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:35 PM
old thread but whatever lol

There is NO dash error!

My fuse is gone. nothing happened. Dash still shows the green symbol when the lights are on just like before. Just no DRL