2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2011 FIT sounds like a 91 turning on?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Unhappy 2011 FIT sounds like a 91 turning on?????

Hi everyone so i got my fit last tuesday and i notice something i thought might have gone away by now but it hasnt

It has like a very late reaction to start. like ok some cars you just turn the key and it starts you even have to becareful not to turn to much cuase it makes a bad noise

unlike older cars you kinda have to turn the key and stay turned for a couple more seconds for it to turn on giving you that (eeeeeyyy-i dont wanna turn on sound) the fit still turns on but that noise like its about to give in

i thought it was cuase the car was new but after a week it shouldnt be doin that right????

PS its in normal drive not s or the paddle shifter thingy, no e brake on or anything that i can think of....

Old 07-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Is it only on the first start of the day/trip, or is it all the time? Try this: turn the key to the run position, but not to the starting position and let it sit for a few seconds. Then turn to the starting position. It could be that the fuel pump takes a second to get the fuel line pressurized. In theory there's a valve that holds the pressure, but it can leak backwards very slowly.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
Is it only on the first start of the day/trip, or is it all the time? Try this: turn the key to the run position, but not to the starting position and let it sit for a few seconds. Then turn to the starting position. It could be that the fuel pump takes a second to get the fuel line pressurized. In theory there's a valve that holds the pressure, but it can leak backwards very slowly.

Naw its everytime you start the car weather a cold, hot or warm start but my boyfriend told me to do that let it sit and it does it the same i let it sit anyways cuase i turn the ac on for the car too cool if its been sittin in the sun or rainy days cuase its cooler outside.

and the leak backwards that doesnt have to do with the way car is parked or anything right?? ( i really dont know)

Old 07-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if the starter motor sounds like it's going to die while trying to start the engine it could be your battery is weak. if you do a lot of short distance driving your battery will not charge adequetly.

if your starter motor is turning but takes like a second or two longer to turn over vs say your previous car(s) then it's considered normal. it can take up to 10sec (yah super long wait) to turn over and yet it is still within tolerance.

ive had instances (especially after the recall service) where i would crank for 4-5sec for the engine to turn over. i wouldn't worry too much unless you need to crank 10sec each time.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe get the battery checked at an autozone or something. Could be getting weak spark and just taking a sec to actually start. If it is brand new I would take it to the dealer right away also and have them look at it. That way if it ends up being something worse and the car is a lemon you need to have proof. Don't wait anymore.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Hey your vehicle is practically new. Low battery or whatever, just have it dealt with under warranty. Because whatever, what your describing is not how the vehicle should start. If the battery is undercharged and/or dying or defective, or you have even a more complicated problem, best to have it documented. I'd just take to the dealership. Because whether this turns out to be a simple problem or a complicated problem, you want it paid for and covered by warranty. Whatever it is..it should be covered. Your less than a few weeks old Fit should NOT be struggling to start that way...

Old 07-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Hey your vehicle is practically new. Low battery or whatever, just have it dealt with under warranty. Because whatever, what your describing is not how the vehicle should start. If the battery is undercharged and/or dying or defective, or you have even a more complicated problem, best to have it documented. I'd just take to the dealership. Because whether this turns out to be a simple problem or a complicated problem, you want it paid for and covered by warranty. Whatever it is..it should be covered. Your less than a few weeks old Fit should NOT be struggling to start that way...
^^ yes, agreed!

Old 07-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Manga_spawn
Maybe get the battery checked at an autozone or something. Could be getting weak spark and just taking a sec to actually start. If it is brand new I would take it to the dealer right away also and have them look at it. That way if it ends up being something worse and the car is a lemon you need to have proof. Don't wait anymore.

Yea i spoke with my dad and im goin to get it checked out i mean it did it in the dealership when test drived it but we just though it was a "too new" knida thing

MY FEAR IS A LEMON my last car was one and ughhh you already know if its not fixable blah blah blah lol

i love my fit so much even if its a lemon i might just keep it

Old 07-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice ima get it checked out by the dealer and then maybe a personal machanic for a 2nd opinion :0)

Old 07-25-2011, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah the sooner the better. If something doesn't feel right take it to them right away. That way even if they don't find anything and it gets worse they cannot say you just neglected the problem.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Take it straight to the dealer. If it's under warranty get it checked now before the dealer tells you that it's your fault for not bringing it in right away. Especially if the dealer has previously addressed the problem.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:53 AM
My 2011 is doing this also. Started the day after I bought it- took 4 friends to a store about 30 miles away. It wouldn't start at all, but started the second time I turned the key. Since then it's been hesitant to start quite often, maybe 25% of the time. I took it back to the dealership the first week and they said nothing was wrong. I feel like videotaping every time my car starts up to prove something is "wrong."

Aside from that, the only other issue was a completely dead battery. We were home and kept hearing a car alarm go off down the street. It would stop and start up within minutes, all day long. We cursed the driver and hoped they had a dead battery and flat tires. Turns out my car had a dead battery the next time I went to drive. We jumped it and the alarm started going off. Guess it was mine? The alarm sounds quite different than the honk.