General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Intermittent Starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 AM
Intermittent Starting

I have a 2011 Fit Sport. It has a very intermittent starting issue. I turn the key and everything on the dash looks normal but nothing happens. I have a small key fob I have to press in order for the car to start, some safety feature they sold with the fit. Anyway I would press that again just to make sure and sometimes about three times turning the key it just starts. I noticed sometimes I would just hold the key all the way in the starting position that it would sometimes start after a half a second. Today I held it and heard a small noise of some sort. I actually turned the key and put it in the other way and it started but that wouldn't matter would it. Anyway wondered if anyone has experienced this. Doesn't happen for the dealer yet and they said unless it happens for the they can't diagnose it. It just sounds like a problem with the ignition switch the key goes in. That is my wild guess.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cassini
I have a small key fob I have to press in order for the car to start, some safety feature they sold with the fit.
This is something the dealer added, and not a Honda option or part.

Honda's keys (all cars sold today, I think) have a built in security feature. If the key's digital signature is not programmed in the Fit's computer (ECU) the car will not start. This way a copy of the key that has not been programmed into the car's computer will not be of any use other than entering the car.

So I'm not sure what the extra safety feature is they sold you. It sounds like it might be causing problems. I'd take back to the dealer that sold it and complain. I'd have them take it off and demand a refund as it's redundant (they'll probably refuse without charging you more).

Other questions: is it an Auto or MT car? If MT and the clutch is not depressed nothing will happen. In an auto if the shift lever is not in park, nothing will happen.

It could be an intermittent failure of the ignition switch but I haven't heard of this happening on such a new car.

Last edited by Steve244; 01-06-2013 at 11:01 AM.