2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

necessary to shift into Park before turning engine off?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by buckyfit
I guess AT drivers just want to get from point A to point B, so there's really no need to understand how the car works.
Funny that you should say that... if you are of the folks that "understand," then why did you not realize that shutting off an engine in gear would cause a car to "lurch" to a screeching halt? That you didn't connect the fact you were pressing the clutch in an MT, but not think about what you might need to do in an AT to "replicate" that clutch action?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TrungLam
When I park on an incline, I shift to Neutral while pressing on the brake pedal, engage my Parking Brake, release brake pedal and let car settle and then shift to park.
I recommend that you leave the car in gear instead of neutral when parked on an incline.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Just a question been a while since I've been driving a stick, but if you're parked, in gear, and get towed, and they tow lifting the back of the car, wouldn't that really ruin the transmission?

Then again, I imagine its just as bad for an AT in park.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neteng101
Just a question been a while since I've been driving a stick, but if you're parked, in gear, and get towed, and they tow lifting the back of the car, wouldn't that really ruin the transmission?

Then again, I imagine its just as bad for an AT in park.
Unless the the tow operator is an idiot, they would know to hook up the drive wheels, and the car would roll on the free spinning wheels, otherwise if they do that, they're gonna be on the hook for damages. Hence why you see full time all wheel drive vehicles either flat bed towed or the drag wheels on dolly wheels.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
If it helps you, I've been driving 18 years, owned 7 different MT cars. I had only driven AT for rental cars until now.
Now I'm even a bit more perplexed, with your 18 yr. driving experience under your belt. I think all the posts here put together answers your questions - daily-driver, on the ground level, experience-based answers. I don't think this is the place if you're looking for "Theory of Operation"-type answers.

I guess AT drivers just want to get from point A to point B, so there's really no need to understand how the car works.
I beg to differ with you. Many posters here are car enthusiasts, meaning, they know a bit more about cars than just daily driving and putting gas in the tank. We all express ourselves differently, just like you.

FYI, I drive both an MT and AT, know a bit about cars, take care of my cars, don't have subject-matter-expert credentials on the combustion engine nor a PhD in English. But I do know that in order to respond properly, the question must be understood and a background of perspective as a reference point helps. So please, we're just trying to help... for what it's worth to you.

Happy motoring... but not in Park, please.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Everyone wants to get from point A to point B, NOT everyone wants to try to coast the last few feet into their driveway with an automatic transmission.

I wouldn't make a blanket judgement about AT drivers "understanding" when YOU are the one concievably asking questions and looking for understanding.

I trust the many posts in response have broadened your horizons of understanding?

Old 08-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
I'm new to AT. I'm used to turning off the engine as I coast the last few feet into the garage. But with the AT, I notice that when I turn off the engine with the AT in Drive, the car seems to lurch to a stop.

Why does that happen? Is it bad for the transmission? It is necessary to shift into Park before turning off the engine?
how about you shift into neutral, then shut off the engine to coast into your garage, through your garage wall, into your living room, into your back yard, into your pool?

you can shift into neutral on a AT as you did with your MT car with no lurching.