2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Rack recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Bike Rack recommendations

Hi,

I've been looking to put a roof rack on my fit to transport my bike around, but can't make up my mind. If anyone has a roof rack installed, let me know one you would recommend. Also, I have the OEM window visors installed, I don't know if that affects installation at all. Thanks~!

Old 08-22-2011, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by egooozum
Hi,

I've been looking to put a roof rack on my fit to transport my bike around, but can't make up my mind. If anyone has a roof rack installed, let me know one you would recommend. Also, I have the OEM window visors installed, I don't know if that affects installation at all. Thanks~!
I have a Yakima and like it. The round bars do howl but with "windjammers" installed, it quiets down a bit.

Of note, the Fairing to deflect air over the rack HURTS your fuel economy. That's why I use wind jammers. The fairing is designed to cut down on wind noise but will drop your economy 2-5mpg. I tested this and have seen the same results on all three cars I've used roof racks on. (had a thule for the 93 Integra and Yakima for the Integra GS-R & the FIT). Of note, the smaller the engine, the more wind resistance impacts economy.

Also of note, I have the Yakima roof rack but the bike attachment I use is a Thule Bigmouth, it holds my bike much better since my cannondale doesn't have a removable front wheel.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 08-22-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:04 AM
I have a reciver hitch and rear tray rack (holds my full suspention bike by the wheels since the frame wont work due to the shock) stays clean in back and does'nt take away from the aerodynamics when off

Old 08-23-2011, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Hitch mount is a better solution for several reasons, but I keep mine inside, yank the front wheel and lower the saddle and I can fit a pair of large full suspension bikes in the back.
If I only have my bike in there I can still fit 4 passengers in the car if I put the 40% rear seat back down. I saw pics no a mtb forum of a guy that had 2 mountain bikes and 2 road bikes in the Fit at the same time.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Curt hitch and Thule tray style carrier. Only way to go IMO.

Easy enough to remove/install as needed and retains superior aerodynamics for mileage vs roof rack.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:12 PM
I have a brand new Thule bike hitch rack that I bought online for over 200 dollars. It works fine for my husbands bike but my bike and my sons bikes are too low to the ground. If anyone is interested in buying it drop me an email. I bought the adjustment bars that Thule said would make my bike fit on the rack and my bike is too low to the ground. Hubbys bike is fine.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
Even with the wind jammer, I still only get 26-28 mpg instead of 32-38. It was a huge hit on my range. The hitch ones seem like the wind resistance would be much less. REI has 20% off all roof racks for the next week. I didn't have any sun visor issues with my SARIS Rack. I may just go full Yakima because I want to get all the attachments (kayak, etc), so let me know if you're interested in this SARIS.

Name:  IMAG0036.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  42.3 KB
Name:  IMAG0155.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  42.3 KB

Last edited by fitit2010; 08-25-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitit2010
Even with the wind jammer, I still only get 26-28 mpg instead of 32-38. It was a huge hit on my range. The hitch ones seem like the wind resistance would be much less. REI has 20% off all roof racks for the next week. I didn't have any sun visor issues with my SARIS Rack. I may just go full Yakima because I want to get all the attachments (kayak, etc), so let me know if you're interested in this SARIS.

You mention a windjammer but have a saris rack. Are you referring to the Fairing in the Front that redirects air up over the rack? Fairings hurt fuel economy but cut down on wind noise. The wind jammer is a little wing shaped piece of plastic that clips over the unused areas of a yakima bike rack to prevent the "howl" that occurs with round crossbars. with the Saris Rack, you should be able to remove the fairing and not have too much howl due to the shape of the rack. Should also help fuel economy.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 08-25-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
Hi,

FWIW...if it's just yourself and the one bike, you can keep it inside. In fact, you can go on a bike trip with a friend, and carry both bikes inside. And plenty of room for misc other gear, food, etc. Just fold the rear seats flat, pop the front wheels off, and stack 'em. Use a blanket or quilt between the bikes. Works fine.

geo

Old 08-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by fitit2010
Even with the wind jammer, I still only get 26-28 mpg instead of 32-38. It was a huge hit on my range. The hitch ones seem like the wind resistance would be much less.
I lose about 1-2 mpg with bike on hitch rack.

I try to put it in the 2nd row when possible but with kid seats or 2 bikes thats not always possible.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
You mention a windjammer but have a saris rack. Are you referring to the Fairing in the Front that redirects air up over the rack? Fairings hurt fuel economy but cut down on wind noise. The wind jammer is a little wing shaped piece of plastic that clips over the unused areas of a yakima bike rack to prevent the "howl" that occurs with round crossbars. with the Saris Rack, you should be able to remove the fairing and not have too much howl due to the shape of the rack. Should also help fuel economy.

~SB
Yeah, sorry I mean fairing I guess. I've heard it called many things. Those little wind jammers I would call wind foils, but I guess it is all about marketing! The Saris rack doesn't make too much noise because of the shape, however I still prefer to have the fairing on, which cuts down the noise even more.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:31 PM
I have the OEM window visors installed, I don't know if that affects installation at all.
I've got a Thule clamp-on and the OEM window visors....it does not cause any issues.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
When my brother and I recently went on a ride we took the Fit for shits and grins and were able to get 2 large full suspension mtb's with gear in the car, crazy.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 PM
You can easily fit two bikes inside, but if you ride dirt a lot like me then the interior will go to hell. As far as racks go, I cannot discourage you enough from getting a roof rack. With two bikes on my roof rack at highways speeds my mileage plummeted. Into a strong headwind I couldn't even get above 65mph. And like most people I know who have a roof rack, you will at some point smack an overhead beam...I did.

I've since switched to a hitch rack, specifically a 1Up Quick rack from 1Up USA. This thing is a work of art and takes seconds to install and remove. The site doesn't do this rack justice:
1up USA Ultra Rack

And with a Draw Tite or Hidden Hitch it's barely noticeable when the rack is off.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by i.a.n.
...I cannot discourage you enough from getting a roof rack.
Couldnt agree more. Besides the horrible MPG and inherent danger to your bike & car (Ive seen roof lines wrinkled by running bike into garage door) you just look like a dork driving around with roof rack and no bike. Yah I said it. Dork.

[brand] trailer hitch + [brand] hitch rack > [brand] roof rack