1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Another roof rack thread.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:40 AM
Another roof rack thread.....

Alright usually the conversation is about bike racks, I'm looking for alittle bit more specific info.

I want a roof rack with attachments to carry my skis in the winter and my mountain bike the rest of the year.

From what I've read the Thule rack seems to be preferred over the Yakima for roof mounted bike racks. But I'm also looking for a permanent mount for the rack. Has anyone used the little feet "that require drilling" into the roof used for a "permanent mount"?

Old 01-28-2009, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
I think Yakima and Thule are pretty comparable. I do not agree that Thule is preferred over Yakima. I have been very happy with my Yakima rack and it's nice to support an American company. I use mine only for bikes, but I'm sure the ski mounts work well.

Keep in mind that you will take approximately a 10% hit in fuel economy (that is with the fairing). For that reason, I take mine off for long trips without bikes. It is very easy to take on and off once you have the setting dialed in.

Why would you drill into your roof? That strikes me as a huge mistake. Get the locking cores if you are concerned about theft. The Yakima mounting setup is very stable and I'd bet that Thule is as well.

Good luck.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Also check out this thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...ck-tracks.html

I assume you also saw the Yakima/Thule thread.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
I wanna get a rack so I can start biking again

Old 01-28-2009, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
This topic is also beat, but I'll contribute anyway

You can't go wrong with either Thule or Yakima. I've had my Yakima setup for about six years now, gone through about four cars. Girlfriends come and go, but the rack stays. The only thing I replaced in the setup are the clips (which are different for each car, but the same for the 08 and 09 Fits).

I had it on my '08 Sport and it worked fine. Drilling into the side of the roof could hurt resale later.

I guess the only drawback about these roof mount systems is that they are not cheap. The bars, q-towers, fairing, locks run about $500 new. Then you have to buy the one or two bike racks/ski racks, which are typically $110 each. I bought mine used on ebay.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:50 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
seriously, +1 on yakima. Mine is about 8 years old or so, i honestly cant remember, it could be older. It has been through more cars, and it fits each one like a glove. All I have to do is spend 50 bux on the lil feet, and move to measured spots, and you are good to go.

I only put on the roofrack when I'm gonna actually use it, and when I have it on between a couple weekends I fold the snowboard attachment down, and it cuts down on drag substantially. I have the old school big fairing. I kinda wanna get the new one but it looks much smaller like it wouldn't move the airflow as well.

It takes all of like 3 minutes to take it on and off, you just open all the doors, clamp it down in place, and then close the doors, make sure you got it on straight, and boom, good to go. I usually sharpie the left and right marks onto the door jamb of the car, nobody ever notices. Makes it even easier to set it up and just GO.

It has more than paid for itself. Once you have the base rack it's like swiss army knife, you can use it for anything. Yakima is always preferred by me, they just look better IMO, and durability and flexibility is through the roof. I almost want to get one of the boxes so I can load it full of crap, have less stuff in the car on big trips.