2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

break in new fit/jazz

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:59 AM
break in new fit/jazz

The proper way of break in a new car/engine... Give us your comment, I know this is very controversial, wanted to get ideas from other more experience new car buyers...

Old 08-29-2011, 02:34 PM
For me the way i break in a new engine/car is not driving over 55mph. and an oil change

Last edited by Pang3t; 08-30-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:01 PM
I go by what the engineers at Honda told me to do. No hard acceleration until 600 miles, and don't change the oil until the MM tells you to.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm interested in this myself. What does the manual say? What counts as "hard acceleration"?

Old 08-29-2011, 05:20 PM
The owners manual on page 198 states for the first 600 miles;

"Avoid full throttle starts, and rapid acceleration."
"Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles."
"Do not change the oil until the scheduled maintenance time."

I personally kept it under 4k rpm...

Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Ring seal takes place under decelleration, where combustion pressures are high. Run er' up in a gear and decellerate, keeping the car in the same gear. Do this a few times when new help's seat the rings. Cross hatch in cyl. liners don't last forever.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by FitSSM2k10
The owners manual on page 198 states for the first 600 miles;

"Avoid full throttle starts, and rapid acceleration."
"Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles."
"Do not change the oil until the scheduled maintenance time."

I personally kept it under 4k rpm...
so this means when you pass the 600miles mark thats the best time to drive normally?

Old 08-30-2011, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Old 08-30-2011, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
This is what I have tried to do with all my new vehicles since reading that several years ago. So far, it's worked out great. The Mazda 3 I just gave to my son is still strong and has never lost/eaten/drank a drop of oil. My bike is running strong, too.

Unfortunately my Fit was a dealer trade, and I took delivery with 261 miles already on the clock. However, if I know my car delivery people, they probably ran it appropriately hard for me.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:49 AM
read that a long time ago What's The Best Way To Break-In A New Engine ??
"The Short Answer:
Run it Hard !"

Due to the vastly improved metal casting and machining technologies which are now used, tight parts in new engines are not normal. A manufacturing mistake causing a tight clearance is an extremely rare occurrence these days. But, if there is something wrong with the engine clearances from the factory, no amount of gentle running will fix the problem.

a question also arrives at 'why do they put it on the manual itself'. they say it is for a safety reason for people not to run fast and causing accident creating a reason to sue car companies... correctly me if I am wrong...

Old 09-01-2011, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Acid Jay

a question also arrives at 'why do they put it on the manual itself'. they say it is for a safety reason for people not to run fast and causing accident creating a reason to sue car companies... correctly me if I am wrong...
I do not think it has anything to do with safety.

Reading mototune's website, and reading an engineering forum's comments about mototune's technique, I conclude it really doesn't make any difference on our Hondas. If you built your own engines, then initial start up and break-in would be more of a concern.

I think the important period of break-in for the rings has occurred before you buy the car. This happens when the engine is test-run at the engine factory, and in moving the cars for the few miles before delivery.

In other words, it's a Honda. Don't worry about it. Drive it normally. But remember there are other parts at play besides the engine. Brakes and clutches may benefit from some gentleness the first few hundred miles.

Also I'd go by the Honda's recommendations and leave the factory oil in it until the first recommended service, if only to avoid warranty issues.

For more reading, here are the engineering forum's threads on

Mototune.

Engine break-in in general.

Last edited by Steve244; 09-01-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
I do not think it has anything to do with safety.

Reading mototune's website, and reading an engineering forum's comments about mototune's technique, I conclude it really doesn't make any difference on our Hondas. If you built your own engines, then initial start up and break-in would be more of a concern.

I think the important period of break-in for the rings has occurred before you buy the car. This happens when the engine is test-run at the engine factory, and in moving the cars for the few miles before delivery.

In other words, it's a Honda. Don't worry about it. Drive it normally. But remember there are other parts at play besides the engine. Brakes and clutches may benefit from some gentleness the first few hundred miles.

Also I'd go by the Honda's recommendations and leave the factory oil in it until the first recommended service, if only to avoid warranty issues.

For more reading, here are the engineering forum's threads on

Mototune.

Engine break-in in general.
That is also what I am thinking of for the past weeks, You are right about playing safe about the warranty of the car. We will see, getting this JAZZ 2012 comfort edition this mid october and cant wait to fire it up