2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2011 Honda Fit "Severe Service" journal...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Random oil filter change

WOW!!!! With my oil change,best type of oil/tire pressure, etc. OCD ,,there is no way I could go with that JJ

Old 01-15-2012, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by afreespirit
I thought I read somewhere that a new oil filter doesn't work as well as the one already in use (up to a point) and shouldn't be changed every time for that reason---anyone know??
This is true for air filters that are drawing in contaminants from the outside air. The accumulated dirt does help improve filtering efficiency without restricting the air flow enough to hurt performance, unless it's severely clogged. For this reason you should not change the air filter until 30K miles (unless you drive dirt roads a lot). If you leave it on too long, you'll lose some top end power, but not suffer any reduction in MPG as the fuel is correctly metered according to air flow.

The oil filter picks up metal particles and some outside contaminants that make their way into the oil to keep them from destroying bearings and seals. If too much back-pressure exists within the filter, the filter is bypassed (restricted oil flow is much more damaging than losing filtration) so it's not a good idea to leave the same oil filter on too long. It's certainly not a problem leaving the same oil filter on through two oil changes (unless you travel them dirt roads). But I don't know anyone who doesn't change their oil filter each time they change the oil. Maybe fleet managers trying to save a few bucks per vehicle over hundreds of cars/trucks.

The issue SB seemed concerned with is changing used oil for fresh before its time. If I understand his reasoning, oil needs to age some to protect the engine. He thinks the engine heat alters the additives ("breaking them down" are his words) making them more effective. He gave the example of someone who changed their oil weekly for a month and their engine seized, as an example. He extends this to the oil filter, suggesting changing it every oil change is damaging, not for its filtering properties, but because you are removing additives that have aged properly.

Originally Posted by SilverBullet
This is why Honda requires a oil change A service with out the oil filter for the same reason and I wonder what damage we are doing by changing the filter when its not need by washing those additives away.
This is nonsense.

He applies the same reasoning to the transmission (the topic being discussed) suggesting your transmission will "blow" if you change the fluid more frequently than recommended.

Getting back to why are you changing the trans fluid so much? It is not good to do that and I see you complaining about a blown trans soon.
This is nonsense.

The transmission I would say every 30k but that depends on the fuel used too.
This too.