2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Bumper Damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Rear Bumper Damage

So, I noticed this last night and didn't know what could've caused it. It's pretty small in size. The straight line I'd say is under an inch. The damage is centered on the bumper. You can also see where my hatch starts in the picture.

I was thinking license plate maybe, but the distance between each mark didn't make sense to me.

Any other ideas? And also should I get this repainted or just live with it? I'm so angry.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
it could be someone's license plate frame.

Looks pretty gouged in, like another vehicle pushed up against your Fit. Not just bump, but more like they were trying to squeeze into a parking spot and tried shoving your car out a bit.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by graffiti.
So, I noticed this last night and didn't know what could've caused it. It's pretty small in size. The straight line I'd say is under an inch. The damage is centered on the bumper. You can also see where my hatch starts in the picture.

I was thinking license plate maybe, but the distance between each mark didn't make sense to me.

Any other ideas? And also should I get this repainted or just live with it? I'm so angry.

Goober's guess is as good as mine. You know some front license plates are bent up in distorted aka non-symmetrical shape because of repeated abuse--just my best guess. I dealt with the threat of this type of damage daily parking in Chicago streets. You could try covering it up with those clever vinyl stickers that look like band-aids, they come with a variety of colors. TFB designs have them in a variety of sizes. Otherwise you'll have to decide if a $$$ paint-job is worth it if it gets scuffed up again by another ass-nugget.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
If you can find one of those mom and pop ethnic shops, it'll probably cost you around $600 or less to fix. I was in a worse situation and that's what it cost me to fix (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-no-notes.html). If you have $600 to spare that is. If you just got your Fit, I'll say spend the money to fix it because if you don't, those scratches will drive you crazy.

Last edited by sumtingwong; 11-13-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blassty
Goober's guess is as good as mine. You know some front license plates are bent up in distorted aka non-symmetrical shape because of repeated abuse--just my best guess. I dealt with the threat of this type of damage daily parking in Chicago streets. You could try covering it up with those clever vinyl stickers that look like band-aids, they come with a variety of colors. TFB designs have them in a variety of sizes. Otherwise you'll have to decide if a $$$ paint-job is worth it if it gets scuffed up again by another ass-nugget.
This lady was stopped behind me. We had been waiting at the red light and for some freaking bizarre reason, decided to bump into me, BEFORE the light turned green.

The screw holding her license plate frame stretched my bumper a bit (looks more like it melted). I put on a pair of actual band-aids for a while.

That band-aids were cheap though, so it started to disintegrate leaving adhesive residue.

I'm gonna find me some good quality band-aids and put those on (J&J brand?).

Old 11-13-2011, 02:29 AM
Man, that's $600 I don't have right now. I looked on that TFB design website and the bandaid is pretty cheap. My girlfriend thinks they're cute. Maybe I'll go that route, but I'll know what's underneath in the back of my mind.

I guess this should be expected for a daily driver. Maybe I'll dish out the cash to fix it when my bike sells and if it continues to drive me nuts.

Also the two circles seem a little too close to be the bolts unless they bumper tapped me x2.

Originally Posted by Goobers
This lady was stopped behind me. We had been waiting at the red light and for some freaking bizarre reason, decided to bump into me, BEFORE the light turned green.

The screw holding her license plate frame stretched my bumper a bit (looks more like it melted). I put on a pair of actual band-aids for a while.

That band-aids were cheap though, so it started to disintegrate leaving adhesive residue.

I'm gonna find me some good quality band-aids and put those on (J&J brand?).
Wow. Did you get her insurance information? That's so ridiculous. I get nervous when people creep up on me during a red light, especially on hills.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by graffiti.
Also the two circles seem a little too close to be the bolts unless they bumper tapped me x2.
who knows, could be a design or something.

Wow. Did you get her insurance information? That's so ridiculous. I get nervous when people creep up on me during a red light, especially on hills.
no, we didn't trade info. i was too pissed off and in a bad mood to deal with it at that time of night. I decided that little bit of damage wasn't worth the hassle.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
To me, it looks like that small damage could be filled with body filler and painted with touch-up paint. If done carefully and buffed after, I think it would hardly show.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Unless your skills equal a pro, and even then, I think any attempt to patch it will end up looking worse than the damage.

Body shops will repair it, but they will repaint the entire bumper. Unfortunately the labor costs as much as a new bumper cover (I've had it done both ways).

The Honda body shop did a worse job than than an independent body shop (1st repair). Honda also misquoted a higher price on the 2nd repair compared to a new part. The independent used honda parts and did a better job matching the color. It was just under $600 both times (Metro Atlanta)

This may be too late for you, but the 1st time this happened I called my insurance agent while still in the parking lot. They advised me to get a police report in order to have it declared "hit-and-run" and get coverage under my uninsured-motorist coverage at half the deductible of my comprehensive/collision coverage. I felt stupid calling 911 for a bumper scratch, but the cops didn't think it odd, and my uninsured-motorist deductible was only $250, and it didn't go against my driving record.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
i wouldnt worry about it

Old 11-13-2011, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
OP, they're "battle scars" of a DD. Unless you have a "show car" or have OCD I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't hurt as much... after the 1st ding.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
I dunno about the OP, but I felt like getting this fixed.

But then I'm probably OCD.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Here's my OMGWTF-RAGE injury covered up with TFB Design's bandaid.

Name:  omgwtf.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  19.6 KB

I'm no body expert so this is the shitty job I did painting over 3 incidents worth of damage. It hurts less and less as the car gets older. =(

Ha sorry OP for hijacking the thread into a show your battle scars.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
That's awesome LOL I'm gonna grab it for my temporary cover up for my rear jdm bumper. The tow hook cover didn't fit

Originally Posted by blassty
Here's my OMGWTF-RAGE injury covered up with TFB Design's bandaid.

I'm no body expert so this is the shitty job I did painting over 3 incidents worth of damage. It hurts less and less as the car gets older. =(

Ha sorry OP for hijacking the thread into a show your battle scars.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:06 PM
I think I'll just go for that single band-aid design from TFB designs. I've had this for about a year and this is my first ding. I hope it doesn't average more than that. D:

Old 11-14-2011, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
That damage would probably bother me, especially if my vehicle was otherwise in good shape. However? It would probably cost too much money to justify the repair.

I'd be tempted to try to minimize the look with some touch up paint.

Google Automotive Paint Chip Repair. Numerous products exist.

I have the Honda "tube of touch up paint" and I bought a relatively expensive paint brush at a art supply store. I bought the smallest, finest brush they sold.

This combo is passable to me for small chips.

Your damage might be better served by investigating some of the commercial offerings.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Yeah, it does bother me. I went to a shop today and the guy suggested I just use touch up paint since it's so minor and if I still can't stand it, then I can bring it in and pay the big bucks.

I also asked what he thinks caused it and he said it could be anything, but probably not a license plate or a car tapping me.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
I miss the 70s. We had manly bumpers back then. None o'this painted plastic crap.

Name:  IMG00293-20100409-0835.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  108.4 KB

Ok, just kidding.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
you think you guys have problems look at what i got on my side window

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

and i got 3 chips and some scratches in the drivers view on the windscreen with the car only being 8 months old, not impressed.