2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Do throttle controlers really save gas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Do throttle controlers really save gas?

Do throttle controllers really save gas? I'm thinking more along the lines of an eco use and not racing use.

What about with regards to use on AT vs MT?

Thanks for thoughts and experiences!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Your gas pedal is already an electronic throttle controller.

All this device does is open the throttle less (or more) than you would on your own.

If you press the accelerator pedal less (or more) you will have the same effect without the device.

It feels faster (more throttle for less gas pedal pressed) and that's why people like it. It's fun. I doubt the reverse is true.

Unless you have poor foot control, do your own pedal modulation and save the money.

I'd be leery of placing any type of circuit from a third party company between my gas pedal's electronic control and the engine's control (ECU).

Old 02-16-2012, 10:17 PM
I have an auto, I have thought to myself more than once while driving that it would be nice if the throttle wasn't quite as "touchy" as it currently is. I use oversized grips on my motorcycles for the same reason.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
I will point this out for whatever reason...

I have an ETC and yes it is very fun and worth the money.

At one point, my ETC stopped working but it did not affect or interfere with my car at all. It simply no longer functioned, and the cars normal signal continued. If something happened, which it hasnt in two years so far, I would just unplug the power source of the unit (the obd port).

Old 02-17-2012, 05:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YouKantPimpInaKIA
I have an auto, I have thought to myself more than once while driving that it would be nice if the throttle wasn't quite as "touchy" as it currently is. I use oversized grips on my motorcycles for the same reason.
A TC would solve your problem. I have mine set at the Eco 4 mode and it does take some of that touchy feeling off. I also have the Spring Mod done which helps as well.

I have sort of set it and forgot that I have it. I seldom change modes as I like the one I am using. Save gas? Hmm doubt it really. You drive it hard you will use more. Like all cars no way with normal driving and I mean no pedal to the floor stuff will you come close to advertised mileage. Like any car in that regard. I do fine though it is not bad on hwy on cruise.

The gas pedal spring thing is here https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...rn-spring.html

Old 02-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
A TC would solve your problem. I have mine set at the Eco 4 mode and it does take some of that touchy feeling off. I also have the Spring Mod done which helps as well.

I have sort of set it and forgot that I have it. I seldom change modes as I like the one I am using. Save gas? Hmm doubt it really. You drive it hard you will use more. Like all cars no way with normal driving and I mean no pedal to the floor stuff will you come close to advertised mileage. Like any car in that regard. I do fine though it is not bad on hwy on cruise.

The gas pedal spring thing is here https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...rn-spring.html
Thanx....it's funny you mention the spring mod, too little resistance was my next complaint

Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Thanx....it's funny you mention the spring mod, too little resistance was my next complaint
I knew you were as the leg gets sore holding the foot off the pedal right?

Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
For me it doesn't really save much gas. I use EC3 while driving on the streets and it smooths out starting from the line. But I probably burn up all that saved fuel once I hit the highway on SP5. Once you turn it on, it feels like a different beast. On ramps become a lot more fun. Throttle response gets a lot sharper so you can maneuver a little better with the flow of traffic. If you can manage to use it efficiently, you would probably save enough gas that it pays for itself.

Last edited by Vanct; 02-17-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Try moving your seat back a bit and extending the telescopic steering column the same amount. The change in angle for your leg should allow you to rest your heel on the floor and the remaining weight of the rest of your foot on the pedal should be about equal to the resistance of the stock pedal spring.

Or not. Some people just need more soul in their accelerator use or go on a foot weight-loss regime. Car dancing also helps. An automatic allows me to devote my undivided attention to the gas pedal. OK sometimes I use the brake.

Last edited by Steve244; 02-17-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: gorram spelling
Old 02-17-2012, 12:11 PM
no, it does not make you save gas.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:31 PM
So, here's a question...and maybe this is something completely different...

On the new 2012 Civic and some 2011 Civics, there's an ECO button. Doesn't this function the same way as a throttle controller? Or is this ECO button a radically different technology?

Before I took deliver of my new Fit last week, I was given a 2012 Civic to drive for a few days. I drove in ECO mode and it seemed to work rather well at keeping things rather 'economic' for lack of a better term (approximately 35mpg avg city...based on electronic gauge).

Of course I know that's not the best way to gauge things...but it is showing better than what my fit's gauge is showing now for same routes (29.5 mpg)...and even after break-in...I'll be lucky to get 31-32mpg city, the typical 3%, or so, gain.

I guess I should wait a few months and a 1000 miles before really making any decisions about things.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwhopson
So, here's a question...and maybe this is something completely different...

On the new 2012 Civic and some 2011 Civics, there's an ECO button. Doesn't this function the same way as a throttle controller? Or is this ECO button a radically different technology?

Before I took deliver of my new Fit last week, I was given a 2012 Civic to drive for a few days. I drove in ECO mode and it seemed to work rather well at keeping things rather 'economic' for lack of a better term (approximately 35mpg avg city...based on electronic gauge).

Of course I know that's not the best way to gauge things...but it is showing better than what my fit's gauge is showing now for same routes (29.5 mpg)...and even after break-in...I'll be lucky to get 31-32mpg city, the typical 3%, or so, gain.

I guess I should wait a few months and a 1000 miles before really making any decisions about things.
Was the Civic an automatic transmission? If yes then it probably changed the shift profile in addition to the throttle profile.

edit: it does a lot besides alter throttle behavior. Probably changes the way the A/C works too. (The Fit's A/C seems stuck in Eco mode.)

Just push the big green button. Could there be a quicker and easy way to save fuel? In ECON mode, the Civic's engine and other energy-consuming systems are automatically configured to operate more efficiently. Need more zip? Push it again to go back to regular mode[1].
My cubicle mate here at work has a Hyundai with an eco button. He doesn't like using "eco."

My philosophy tends towards modifying my behavior rather than having the car do it for me. Just drive conservatively and you'll save the same gas you could with some throttle nanny. Plus the tendency to abuse the throttle in the "performance" modes will tend to wreck your mileage. And if you want to go fast just push the pedal more.

And I would be very very leery of connecting some overpriced chinese signal modulator between my accelerator pedal's connection and the ECU plus an OBD connection for power. Wire-city when you've got the little box to vary the throttle profile sitting where you can get to it.

Last edited by Steve244; 02-17-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:58 PM
I agree with the Fit's A/C always being in econo mode. My 2011 Fit never quite cooled the way I thought it should in the hot summer...unless you were driving for a really long time...and had the windows rolled down for a while for a decent portion of the ride...