2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Entire front end shakes when braking? (2010 Base Fit)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nikita
This is another reason I do all my own work. All it takes to warp rotors is have someone do a tire change or rotation and not tighten the lugs evenly. I use a torque wrench to be sure. Ive only seen one tire shop actually do this. The torque limiters for air impact wrenches are better than nothing, but not perfect.

I do not normally turn rotors. Making them thinner just makes them more likely to warp due to less strength and heat capacity. As someone else pointed out, they dont cost much if you install yourself. Dont buy Chinese ones at Pepboys, but OE or a name brand like Brembo are not that expensive.
Agree, except for the chinese dig, cause Brembos are made in china now too.

So pick a good name brand; but you shouldn't be surprised to see anything other than Made in China.

Also, the factory mill is going to be more precise than the lathe they have at any brakeshop, so don't waste your money on resurfacing rotors if a new rotor is close in price. Yes, we live in a throw-away society

Last edited by raytseng; 06-12-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by raytseng
Yes, we live in a throw-away society
Rotors get good money when scrapped.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
If a car goes into a dealer at 8K with no problem and comes out with shaking upon braking, it is a near certainty that the lug nuts were over tightened, particularly if the wheels were rotated which obviously requires the lug nuts to be removed. Over tightened lug nuts can definitely cause the rotors to warp. Lug nuts should be tightened with a torque wrench to 80 lb.-ft. on the Fit. Retorqueing might reverse the problem if done right away. My 2009 Fit with 53K has brakes that work as well as when the car was new--not a hint of shimmy. I change to snows and back myself and use a torque wrench and recheck after a couple of days and they often tighten another 1/4 turn or so.

A very aggressive driver using lots of braking can cause the rotors to warp, particularly if they are very hot and you drive through a puddle. The key here, if I understand correctly, is that before the dealer saw the car, it was OK, but not after.

Loose lug nuts would give noise and shimmy whether braking or not.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hspatz
If a car goes into a dealer at 8K with no problem and comes out with shaking upon braking, it is a near certainty that the lug nuts were over tightened, particularly if the wheels were rotated which obviously requires the lug nuts to be removed. Over tightened lug nuts can definitely cause the rotors to warp. Lug nuts should be tightened with a torque wrench to 80 lb.-ft. on the Fit. Retorqueing might reverse the problem if done right away. My 2009 Fit with 53K has brakes that work as well as when the car was new--not a hint of shimmy. I change to snows and back myself and use a torque wrench and recheck after a couple of days and they often tighten another 1/4 turn or so.

A very aggressive driver using lots of braking can cause the rotors to warp, particularly if they are very hot and you drive through a puddle. The key here, if I understand correctly, is that before the dealer saw the car, it was OK, but not after.

Loose lug nuts would give noise and shimmy whether braking or not.

Its not so much overtiorquing but uneven torquing that warps rotors.
When done correctly wheel nuts are finger tightened to snug then torqued in two steps to 80 lb-ft aviding as much as possible, and on a 4 bolt pattern thats hard, tightening two immediately adjacent lugnuts. Thed techs that tighten lugs in a circle, 1,2,3, and 4 are trying to warp rotors.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jackie11111
my entire front end shakes when braking also
They are call Udders not Unders , you cow

Old 06-25-2012, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Who you call'n a cow? mOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old 06-26-2012, 10:44 PM
I think you guys are all overthinking this a little. To me if a car comes into a dealer with no issues found as a used car. That used car sits out on the lot for several months and the rotors get rusted. now you have a low spot where the rotor did not rust where the pads were sitting. This will cause serious pulsation in the brakes and since its in the front the pulsation is felt in the steering wheel (shaking). If you noticed this after picking up the car as you say you did sean, i suggest taking the car back in right away.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evil_s10
I think you guys are all overthinking this a little. To me if a car comes into a dealer with no issues found as a used car. That used car sits out on the lot for several months and the rotors get rusted. now you have a low spot where the rotor did not rust where the pads were sitting. This will cause serious pulsation in the brakes and since its in the front the pulsation is felt in the steering wheel (shaking). If you noticed this after picking up the car as you say you did sean, i suggest taking the car back in right away.

The problem with a vehicle sitting for a 'long' time is not so much rust but the pad getting stuck to the rotor and when jerked into motion leaves considerable pad material stuck to thr rotor. While rust wears away fairly quickly the pad material takes a long time and that buildup will introduce severe pulsations, ie shaking.
The cure is replace the pads and have the rotors turned the minimum amount that gets smooth surfaces. If that means rotor thickness less than minimum spec, typically 18.7 mm, replace the rotors.
On the other hand, did the car exhibit that shaking on a test drive before plunking down the money? After you bought it did it sit for a 'long' time?

Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 PM
exactly my point. sounds like it exhibited this trait from the get-go (ie-when he bought it).