2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Best type of gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
You don't doubt it, just ridiculous. Compete with who? Do you even understand the words you type out and how stupid they sound?

You win because I'm tired of dealing with moronic run-around. Back to ignore you go, don't even know why I took you off, once deemed a moron, I should have known it doesn't change.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
one brand raises the octane of "regular" and the rest follow suit. Competition in the marketplace.

In North America, the market doesn't seem as easily sold on higher octane than recommended by manufacturers.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I'm not sure if I remember correctly but I recollect that in the mid 60s through early 70s the octane rating for Texaco Fire Chief ( regular) was 94... I can't recall what the rating was for Sky Chief but I do remember some gas stations at the time advertised octane levels as high as 108... I was using 108 octane in a 4 stroke racing bike I had built the engine on with a Wiseco forged piston as late as the mid 1980s...93 isn't really what could be called high octane... People spend a lot of money to change the air to fuel ratios and ignition timing to gain more power on virtually stock engines as well as modified ones. They are looking to use as much ignition timing that is safe to use with a safe A/F ratio with out causing detonation... The cars today have ECUs that quickly respond to add fuel and pull back ignition timing when it is necessary to avoid ping and it is going to do that more often the lower the octane rating of the fuel being used is... Just like a firearms enthusiast will do or have things done to improve the accuracy of a rifle or pistol beyond what a less skilled shooter would notice including the use of more expensive ammunition. Automotive performance enthusiast are likely to appreciate what amounts to negligible changes in performance to a person that isn't as interested or lacks the ability to even notice an improvement... I'll admit that a person who is light on the throttle and doesn't tach over 4000 RPM or carries passengers on a regular basis is going to notice an improvement in power or fuel mileage because I never have to any noticeable extent when not doing these things..
Regular gas should be 89 octane. The octane ratings where RON numbers until the early 70s and that is why they were lowered when unleaded came out. What people don't understand is that MBT timing is where the engine is most efficient which is 95 Ron at 60 degrees with medium Humidity. I believe the coil packs with the knock sensor detects knock and changes the timing which would explain the coil problems without CEL codes. They don't take into consideration Octane Requirement Increase and Barometric changes and Intake temperature changes. The Fit has a 10.4 compression motor which when running regular the timing has to retard and so does the fuel trim so the working pressures on the piston is more like a 8 compression motor so power is lost and so is mpg. Higher octane allows pressures to build with out knock and results with a complete burn using less fuel over a bigger operating range.

What I don't understand is why they say 1 percent loss in torque with 5 degrees of retard. That is only at peak torque which is at 4300 rpms using more fuel to cool the pistons. They dont tell you for every degree of retard is a loss of low end torque about 2 percent per degree.

In my Stock Car days they would use TURBO BLUE 110 using a 350 with 10.8 compression motor with 38 degree of timing. The stock 350 in Suburban timing was 35 degrees with a 8.5 compression motor. I would use premium in that SUV and got mid 20s in mpg.

I agree that 93 is not High octane especially when the octane chart goes to 120. The real cost of the 6 octane is about 18 cents per gallon cost plus the extra detergents. The Government minimum requirement is 1 percent but most top tier uses 4 percent or more.

Honda did not leave much on the table for adjusting the A/F and timing. I've seen people adjust a almost stock L1.5 motor and only add 2 degree midrange with 3 at higher rpms but they also enriched the A/F from 1.0 lambda to .85 lambda at those rpms too. Also the logs proved what Hondata said about the octane requirement. Knock control tables

Old 06-02-2012, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
The Hondata link has helpful information.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
The Hondata link has helpful information.
Did you see this Tech - Supercharger Intercooling and especially this Flashpro Dealer reflash? So I think it is possible to tune your ecu. I know they dont list it but you already had them put a re flash in so the new re flash must be able to be updated because the original stock tune is still in the ecu too. s300 is probably what they used because of no MAF the flashpro or K pro would not work.