2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 - Nav system on a manual transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:11 PM
2010 - Nav system on a manual transmission?

I bought a 2010 manual transmission sport new. Is it at all possible to upgrade to the Honda Nav system that comes with the sport auto trans? Either the dealer could do it or I could buy one off ebay? Would it work correctly?

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2012, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
A new nav system costs thousands from Honda. It's not a cost effective option.

I wouldn't mess with a used one off ebay. I haven't read any accounts of people retrofitting their MTs with this.

A good aftermarket nav head is the way to go. Better nav function. Better sound. Cheaper. Check crutchfield.com; they'll even include the correct dash trim to make a double-din head work, along with the wiring harness. Other than the GPS antenna (don't know how important this is) it should be pretty plug and play.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
A new nav system costs thousands from Honda. It's not a cost effective option.

I wouldn't mess with a used one off ebay. I haven't read any accounts of people retrofitting their MTs with this.

A good aftermarket nav head is the way to go. Better nav function. Better sound. Cheaper. Check crutchfield.com; they'll even include the correct dash trim to make a double-din head work, along with the wiring harness. Other than the GPS antenna (don't know how important this is) it should be pretty plug and play.
That was very helpful, thank you.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:08 PM
you can get the dash kit plus wire harness plus antenna adapter from ebay all together for like $60! ( found one, http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2009-11-Honda...item3f110a00a9 )

if you keep an eye out, 6.5" to 7" pioneer indash units with gps often go on sale (futureshop, best buy, amazon, etc etc).

as steve said, the stock unit is very pricey. this way you do get the better sound as he mentioned, support for a subwoofer if you wanted it, and it's just all around nicer unit.

install is easy, colour match the wires, solder them together, insulate independantly from each other, then wrap them all together (just make sure each joint/solder is insulated so you dont cause shorts). doesn't take long to do at all, 15 mins for the harness, and taking the stock stereo out is a breeze (lots of info here and online).

Old 06-12-2012, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
It might be possible, but you'd have to do a little research. Mainly by comparing connections (pinouts) between the two models and seeing if it's similar enough to do it. If you can get a great price on the OEM Navi it might be worth your efforts.

Here's some motivation from this DIY ---> CR-V Navigation + JDM Reverse Camera Accessory on a USDM CR-Z - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

After reading that DIY, I'm pretty sure it's possible. But you got to find a really low priced OEM Navi to be worth it.

Otherwise, it's not worth it as mentioned already. Especially since you can get much more features in an upgraded aftermarket Navi.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:12 PM
The reasons to go with the factory nav system had a lot to do with what was "bundled" with it (VSA, steering wheel audio controls, etc). The unit without those things isn't worth the price (though the new 2012 model might be better).

Old 06-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by FitStir
It might be possible, but you'd have to do a little research. Mainly by comparing connections (pinouts) between the two models and seeing if it's similar enough to do it. If you can get a great price on the OEM Navi it might be worth your efforts.

Here's some motivation from this DIY ---> CR-V Navigation + JDM Reverse Camera Accessory on a USDM CR-Z - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

After reading that DIY, I'm pretty sure it's possible. But you got to find a really low priced OEM Navi to be worth it.

Otherwise, it's not worth it as mentioned already. Especially since you can get much more features in an upgraded aftermarket Navi.
This is a very informative link, thanks. I wonder if the 2012 navigation systems on the Fit have the ability to have a backup camera.

Does anyone know if the nav systems on the 2012 is any different than the prior generations? All I know for a fact is that in 2012 they seemed to have locked out some of the functionality (GPS/Phone/etc) while you are in motion. 2011 it was not.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by shamoo
This is a very informative link, thanks. I wonder if the 2012 navigation systems on the Fit have the ability to have a backup camera......
You're welcome. Glad you found it useful.

I know on my 2009 Fit Navi there's no Bluetooth, and on your 2012 Fit Navi there is, just not sure about any other differences. I didn't even know that they locked out functionality while moving on the newer ones, that sucks.

I should've removed the OEM Navi to check the back of it for connections when I did my JDM hazzard button, I was always curious of what's there (connections). But I doubt there would be a video/camera input. You're better off getting an OEM Navi off a different Honda (with those features). Especially since I suspect they "dumb-down" the Navi for the Fit as opposed to the Civic or CR-V; there was much mention in this thread ( https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ge-thread.html ) of those differences although the Navi's appear to be the same units (diff part #'s though), and of course the info in that thread is old now.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Or you could wait for iOS 6 which Apple just announced, which has instantly made all standalone nav systems obsolete. It won't be in your dash but it'll also be a lot cheaper. And part of a device you already carry with you

Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Android has had that feature for forever....You know its bad when Iphone users are just now getting away from using google maps (which is awesome)

Old 06-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Or you could wait for iOS 6 which Apple just announced, which has instantly made all standalone nav systems obsolete. It won't be in your dash but it'll also be a lot cheaper. And part of a device you already carry with you
meh.

nothing beats a nice indash unit.

as for android: meh. both built in options blow.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Nicotine
meh.

nothing beats a nice indash unit.

as for android: meh. both built in options blow.
So thats why most people use there respective smart phone (android or apple) for turn by turn navigation that gets real time traffic updates, supports bluetooth, and doesnt require you to buy new map updates every year like a stand alone GPS.....In dash nav units are nice but these days having an in dash unit is like having a fax machine. Its nice but alot of the times there's an easier way to get the job done.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by krunk13
So thats why most people use there respective smart phone (android or apple) for turn by turn navigation that gets real time traffic updates, supports bluetooth, and doesnt require you to buy new map updates every year like a stand alone GPS.....In dash nav units are nice but these days having an in dash unit is like having a fax machine. Its nice but alot of the times there's an easier way to get the job done.
Built in has some aesthetic advantages. Single use dedicated devices will almost always beat a non sepecific multipurpose device. I can't imagine buying a car without navi built in, even having a smart phone.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
Single use dedicated devices will almost always beat a non sepecific multipurpose device.
If nav systems these days came equipped with internet and Google map I would agree. I don't know how many times my phone has saved me the trouble of circling around for hours looking for my destination by actually showing me a 360 degree view of my destination and the area around it.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by krunk13
Android has had that feature for forever....You know its bad when Iphone users are just now getting away from using google maps (which is awesome)
Agreed, my Android has turn by turn satellite navigation that works better/faster than any in dash i've seen and both standalone GPS i've had, and it's not that new of a phone.

I don't really understand the point of an in dash nav unit in 2012, just get a ~$10 phone cradle, good to go. I just put my phone in the cupholder and let it tell me where to go, I don't even look at it.

I suppose in-dash GPS looks nicer though?

Old 06-14-2012, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shamoo
Does anyone know if the nav systems on the 2012 is any different than the prior generations? All I know for a fact is that in 2012 they seemed to have locked out some of the functionality (GPS/Phone/etc) while you are in motion. 2011 it was not.
I know the 2012 got blue tooth and they did away with the flip down face to load a cd. Also, no more need to have a dvd loaded full time for the nav. It does lock out some functions while the car is in drive and it can be a pain. It would have been less distracting to leave certain options available while driving, rather than make it difficult to get what you want with a voice command. I only have the 2012 to go by. I did a demo vid on it. Not the deepest demo, but deeper than any other video I've seen on the 2012 fit navi.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:31 AM
5 Year Member
Go Aftermarket for an in-dash solution. You'll get Bluetooth, better navigation, decent MP3/Pod navigation, and a higher quality audio sound for a lot less money. For GPS capability, i have a Garmin and also use my Android Smartphone. I usually use the Droid for navigation unless I'm going to be going into areas where I need Navi and know there is no Cell Service. The only down-side to Phone-based navigation is the data usage if you use it a fair amount. especially now with companies killing off unlimited data when you upgrade your phone. If you have a smartphone and Unlimited data, get a cradle for the phone and tie it into the Aux input by either bluetooth or a cord (I have both). When it's time to upgrade and you lose your data, consider what you can buy at that time.

~SB

Old 12-20-2012, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
I'm a long time lurker, but was curious about a bluetooth add on for my nav unit. I have a 2010 Fit Sport 5-speed with nav. Took me forever to find it, had to go out of state as the dealership wouldn't ship it anywhere. I love the car, but having bluetooth would be icing on the cake, I see some things on college hills but unsure if it'll work for the nav unit

Old 12-23-2012, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
Get a Parrot add-on unit

Originally Posted by Aerolenx00
I'm a long time lurker, but was curious about a bluetooth add on for my nav unit. I have a 2010 Fit Sport 5-speed with nav. Took me forever to find it, had to go out of state as the dealership wouldn't ship it anywhere. I love the car, but having bluetooth would be icing on the cake, I see some things on college hills but unsure if it'll work for the nav unit
I have the 2009 with 5 speed and nav. Buy one of the Parrot Blue Tooth modules with the Fit wiring harness. It's a fairly easy install--no wiring at all, just need to run microphone wire. It plays your calls through your factory speakers and mutes your audio during the call. It will dial by name and report who the caller is for incoming calls. The fancier modules will stream audio from your smart phone, such as Pandora, to your car's speakers using the Parrot built-in amp.