2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine rev "float" normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Engine rev "float" normal?

Hi all,

Just purchased a 2010 Base MT Fit. Like the car so far, and really like the mileage, coming from a Ridgeline...

Am happy to have found this forum & look forward to learning & helping when I can...

I do have a question, as I'm still getting acquainted with this car. It seems to me that the engine rpm seems to "hang" (not drop) when I put in the clutch to shift gears. With most MT cars I've had, you hit the clutch, ease the gas, and the rpm drops such that by the time you're in the next gear, the engine speed is close to where it needs to be for that gear.

The Fit's rpms don't drop much at all and I'm wondering if that's normal or what other MT owners experience. I've been looking forward to having a stick in my daily again, but I'm still trying to figure out the right formula to get consistent smooth shifting.

Any feedback appreciated...

Steve

Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
Actually that is a good thing. If you search about how to shift a car the correct way you will find the revs should slightly hang until they reach the rpm the next gear will put it at. Too many ppl will granny shift or slam into each gear, not giving the trans time to reach the next gears rpm. your clutch should see zero "grab" if you shift it good.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Also found a sweet article on the wiki wiki

Old 06-15-2012, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Old 06-15-2012, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
It called rev-hang. Its normal but some people don't like it. If they are racing it causes miss shifts because the rpm don't drop fast enough as they can shift. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...hang-5mts.html

Old 06-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Wontfit - Thanks for the reply... I understand double clutching & am not new to driving manual - been doing so for 26 yrs. with (way too many) different cars / trucks. What I find with the Fit is that I have to wait longer than I'm used to for the revs to drop to match the next gear. (Clarification - I'm only talking about upshifting here, not downshifting.)

In essence, I have to delay completing my shifts if I want to rev match smoothly. And I'm not rushing the tranny either - it's ready, but the engine ain't. Makes for rather slower, more deliberate acceleration.

Don't know if that makes sense.

Silver - Thanks - I'll check it out! EDIT - yup- that's it! I didn't know what to call it or I'd have searched the forum before asking...

Last edited by Steverino; 06-15-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Rev hang is something that has driven everybody with a FIT equipped with manual transmission crazy for the last 6 years... An electronic throttle controller is the only way I know of to correct the problem besides getting a Hondata ECU reflash... This is the gentleman that most of us have gotten ours from... The faster throttle response makes the car a lot more fun to drive also. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/merc...ontroller.html

Old 06-16-2012, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
It doesn't bother me.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
Ah. Gotcha. Well a simple solution is to bounce it off the rev limiter in every gear. Or let the clutch out super slow and burn that thing up. Just kidding. I have no idea what I'm doing

Old 06-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Rev hang is something that has driven everybody with a FIT equipped with manual transmission crazy for the last 6 years... An electronic throttle controller is the only way I know of to correct the problem besides getting a Hondata ECU reflash... This is the gentleman that most of us have gotten ours from... The faster throttle response makes the car a lot more fun to drive also. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/merc...ontroller.html
Thanks for the suggestions, Tex. I had read a bit about the ETC on other threads, but people seemed conflicted about whether it helped with the hang problem. I read through a bunch of the thread you linked but didn't see a definite answer (yet). I'm assuming it worked for you? But IIRC you've got a bunch of other mods too...maybe they had an impact?

Understand - not trying to be skeptical - just hoping to find the solution before handing over the cash...

Will also check with the Hondata folks...

Old 06-16-2012, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
I have read other Honda forums where it was said that the ETC had been effective in eliminating rev hang.. Perhaps some of the owners of cars equipped with it will comment on whether it did so for them.. I think that I installed the one on my car at about the time I also installed the KWSC base kit that didn't have the Hondata reflash but what they called a "Super Card".. My wife's Forester has the rev hang thing going on and it drives me crazy.. When I have to rev the engine high to enter a freeway from an entry ramp or to pass a slow moving car on a two lane highway the revs briefly climb after I have taken my foot from the throttle, kicked down the clutch peddle, and shifted... My wife always gets mad at me because it sounds and feels like I am abusing her car.. The ETC signal overrides the ECU signal to close the throttle slowly... As far as I know Hondata has only performed reflashes on the ECUs of cars whose owners bought the KWSC high boost.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
ETC sounds like a great product. I know that the flash-pro eliminates the problem but not available for the Fit. I do know that running premium the throttle body operates differently but I don't remember the rev hang going completely away. It was better because you did not have to press down on the gas pedal as much.

Tex, Your Fit should not have rev-hang because of the reflash.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steverino
Silver - Thanks - I'll check it out! EDIT - yup- that's it! I didn't know what to call it or I'd have searched the forum before asking...
Welcome to Fitfreak. I just showed that there might be other threads. Some people get mad but that's their problem.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
The ETC eliminated the rev hang before I did the high boost upgrade and got the ECU reflashed.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys!

Looks like an ETC is in my future!

Old 06-16-2012, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
I probably said this in the other threads but want to say it again here...

These so called Electronic Throttle Controls go between the gas pedal sensor and the engine control module.

They do not go between the ECM and the electronic stepper motor that actuates the throttle, so calling them an electronic throttle controller is no more accurate than calling the gas pedal an electronic throttle controller. Well ok, maybe it's an accurate description.

But functionally all it does is amplify or attenuate the signal from the gas pedal to the ECM so that it thinks your foot is calling for more (or less) throttle than is indicated by the actual position of the gas pedal. I'm sure it's fun. Touch the gas pedal and it's the same as flooring it. It makes your brain think the car has much more power than it actually does. My 18 yo daughter thinks the Fit is much more powerful than the 98 Camry V6 we have (I haven't disillusioned her by pointing out the difference in throttle opening curves), but it can't possibly remove the throttle hang that Honda designed into the ECM to reduce emissions. The only way to do this is to reprogram the ECM (no aftermarket company offers this service on the GEs to my knowledge).

Old 06-16-2012, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
New D1 Spec (Ver.2.0) Throttle controller ! - Page 8 - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums Here a reputable parts supplier answers a question concerning an ETC they sell and it's effect on throttle lag...

Old 06-16-2012, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry, dog, how's it going to eliminate throttle hang by "making the response quicker." And what does quicker mean? Introducing any device between the gas pedal position sensor and the ECM can only increase latency. It doesn't read your mind.

It can open the throttle more than normal (or less) when you press on the accelerator pedal. But releasing the pedal results in an immediate throttle closed signal regardless of what devices you place between it and the ECM. Without altering the ECM's logic to close the throttle slowly, it will continue to do so.

Putting a third party device that alters the signal from the gas pedal to the ECM while making a parasitical electrical connection to the OBDII port seems like a really bad idea. Having wires hanging all over is ugly too.

Try moving your foot more (or less).

Old 06-16-2012, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Another case of a person with no first hand practical knowledge of what he is talking about and therefore doesn't understand making shit up as he goes... There are guys on here that have a hell of a lot more money in their Fits and race them that use ETCs.. I have used one for over 3 years... How long have you had one on a car or are you just searching out counter remarks from other opinionated people with no first hand knowledge about how things work... The damned thing closes the throttle when you lift your foot as immediately as it opens or as slowly if using the Eco settings...... Don't be lying to people about things that you have no personal experience with.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Sorry, dog, how's it going to eliminate throttle hang by "making the response quicker." And what does quicker mean? Introducing any device between the gas pedal position sensor and the ECM can only increase latency. It doesn't read your mind.

It can open the throttle more than normal (or less) when you press on the accelerator pedal. But releasing the pedal results in an immediate throttle closed signal regardless of what devices you place between it and the ECM. Without altering the ECM's logic to close the throttle slowly, it will continue to do so.

Putting a third party device that alters the signal from the gas pedal to the ECM while making a parasitical electrical connection to the OBDII port seems like a really bad idea. Having wires hanging all over is ugly too.

Try moving your foot more (or less).
Your wrong again. Electronic Throttle Control (Drive By Wire or Fly By Wire)

Quick Reply: Engine rev "float" normal?