2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine rev "float" normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
What's the beef with the rev-hang anyway?
It is not normal operational as I've been accustomed to after near 40 years of driving manuals. I want to be in complete control of all the cars functions. Takes away partly from the fun factor for me unless you're really rev'ing it hard and shifting fast otherwise it is annoying to have that run away throttle take over.

_

Last edited by SilverbulletCSVT; 03-24-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Delraco
Unless I can get a reflash that makes this rev hang disappear, I'm going to make this damned car disappear.
Well that's pretty extreme. I find it a slight annoyance but not so much I'd really trade it for any other car. Depends on your priorities I guess, but there aren't a lot of other options in B-class that get +35mpg and also are reasonably fun to drive, are spacious, and have Honda reliability.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
The rev "hang" on my '09 Sport really bugged me too. It takes some of the fun out of driving a stick shift, and makes it almost impossible to really shift smoothly. I tried out a new Civic Si but found that it had the same problem. So I "fixed" the problem by swapping my Fit for a new Accord Sport with CVT. For the first time in over 40 years I have no manual transmission vehicles (except for my ST1100 ). The Accord is great, and with the 7-speed sport (simulated manual) mode of the CVT, I don't really miss shifting at all. I'm getting 38 mpg on long trips and 32-33 overall, so I'm happy.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:13 PM
If you're shifting fast and hard you won't even notice it? And why would you want the revs to drop more if you're doing this anyway? These are serious questions I want input about, i'm not trying to be condescending

If you shift slow it is annoying to have to play with throttle and clutch more than you should to smooth it out. I just shift faster now to avoid it, will get short shifter as well.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Well see above post. He clearly stated his rev hang was eliminated before he did the other mods.

_
He clearly doesn't remember what eliminated his throttle hang.

Any electronic device between the gas pedal and ECU cannot affect throttle hang.

Throttle hang is a controlled by the ECU. It's an emissions reduction feature.

All these so called ETC devices can do is amplify or attenuate the signal from the gas pedal to the ECU. The gas pedal is an ETC; use your foot to change its performance characteristics.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 PM
It is infuriating to me how much modification the Fit requires to drive like a normal car.

I like the car, but every time I drive it, it's just endless little gripes, the main one being and can't rev match it properly to achieve swift, smooth shifts. I waited months and held out for a manual, but it's been ruined by Honda. The whole point is to be in greater control of your car.

Now that I have this great Mazda3, I'm selling the Fit to buy a Honda CB750 cafe racer.
Carpe Diem MoFos.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:38 AM
Banned
Bye BYE.... didn't you test drive one BEFORE you bought one?

Last edited by loudbang; 03-23-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Yes. Test drove a 50,000mi 2010 Fit Sport Manual and noticed zero of the issues I'm noticing now.

I like my Fit, I named it. It's like an ex-girlfriend you're still friends with. She's a good person, and pretty - but things just didn't work out. haha
Anyone want a Fit Sport Manual Polished metal with 580mi on it and a CDV delete? :P

Old 03-23-2013, 06:35 PM
^Ive noticed none of the issues your complaining about.

I'm guessing that you're either doing a poor job of trolling or you're not a very good driver.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:15 PM
Maybe I am not a very good driver. Who's to say.

That's besides the point. I would love for this "rev float" to go away. The ECM blips the throttle between shifts based on the amount of unburned fuel still resides in the manifold. Vanilla2, given your car history, I'm surprised you don't notice the clutch delay and the emissions blip.

It has nothing to do with ETC's as previously discussed.

With my foot fully lifted off the gas, once the clutch pedal is pressed, the engine revs jump up an inconsistent amount depending on how hard I'm accelerating, and then I must wait for them to fall back down to get a smooth shift on the daily drive. It's frustrating and removes me from the action of driving an otherwise fun car.

"Has ANYONE come up with a cost effective way to remove this rev float yet?" is the big question.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by SuperMacGuy
Well that's pretty extreme. I find it a slight annoyance but not so much I'd really trade it for any other car. Depends on your priorities I guess, but there aren't a lot of other options in B-class that get +35mpg and also are reasonably fun to drive, are spacious, and have Honda reliability.
Gotta say, you've called me on it here.

The itch for a bike + the acquisition of an economy car I like more = bye bye weakest link

Like I've said, the fit is a great car, I like it. Just too many grumbles for me to keep.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Lol how do you think Honda achieves all thoses ULEV emissions ratings?
  1. Install more cats than an animal shelter.
  2. Use small high reving engines.
  3. Control the burning of every molecule of extra fuel with zen like precisiong by using throttle by wire and rev hanging.

Its really not that bad. My 2001 prelude used to do it too and I loved that thing.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Maybe I am not a very good driver. Who's to say.

That's besides the point. I would love for this "rev float" to go away. The ECM blips the throttle between shifts based on the amount of unburned fuel still resides in the manifold. Vanilla2, given your car history, I'm surprised you don't notice the clutch delay and the emissions blip.

It has nothing to do with ETC's as previously discussed.

With my foot fully lifted off the gas, once the clutch pedal is pressed, the engine revs jump up an inconsistent amount depending on how hard I'm accelerating, and then I must wait for them to fall back down to get a smooth shift on the daily drive. It's frustrating and removes me from the action of driving an otherwise fun car.

"Has ANYONE come up with a cost effective way to remove this rev float yet?" is the big question.
The Evo X rev hang was terrible.

Used to just let off the gas and let It cruise.

Maybe because of that its not as noticeable to me.

With this car I've been driving it at its limit a lot more than I would the Evo as that would've been terribly dangerous.

It's been a really fun car I just wish it had more pull above 4000 rpms.

Have you thought of adding a shot throw shifter and maybe changing your seating position?

Old 03-24-2013, 05:57 AM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
If you're shifting fast and hard you won't even notice it? And why would you want the revs to drop more if you're doing this anyway? These are serious questions I want input about, i'm not trying to be condescending

If you shift slow it is annoying to have to play with throttle and clutch more than you should to smooth it out. I just shift faster now to avoid it, will get short shifter as well.
You are correct. I worded it wrong, shifting fast and reving it hard no hang issue. It is slow (low rev), easy and smooth shifting that it becomes irritating.

_

Old 03-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Yes. Test drove a 50,000mi 2010 Fit Sport Manual and noticed zero of the issues I'm noticing now.
This is interesting...

Wonder if there's any difference in the ECU logic between 2010 and 2012 when they started messing with the car more.

I have a 2010 and I didn't notice the hang till you guys started talking about it here, so I started shifting slower and indeed I did see it, but it's only for a second or so, and the RPM doesn't rise, it just sits there for a second, which is not terrible and doesn't prevent me from shifting smoothly.

I thought the car shifted a little "weird" when I first got it, I had no idea about the CDV and the rev-hang, and I didn't care much, I just adapted to drive the car. My wife has a hell of a time driving it smooth, she says it's got a "weird clutch", she rarely drives it though and hasn't had a chance to get used to it. The last stick she drove was a cable clutch (me too actually).

Old 03-26-2013, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, it rev hangs. It really isn't bad though and you get use to it after a while. After 30k miles though I ended up doing a CDV removal though (which means clutch master cylinder replacement in a GE8). Just could not get the hang of that silly thing, much better now (though I still faff up the occasional shift, but that's my fault now at least.) After learning to drive stick in a 1997 Civic with the only features being power windows, sun roof and AC, the Fit took a bit of getting use too (and I have figured out how to work around all my little gripes so far).

Old 03-27-2013, 01:18 AM
MPA
What's the preferred replacement for the master cylinder?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MPA
What's the preferred replacement for the master cylinder?
I used one feom a 97 civic. It's a PITA to install since the hardline ends up coming out of that one right into the brake master cylinder. Someone beat me to making a write up, they did it exactly the same as I did though. I would rate this a 6 or 7 out of 10, not hard conseptually, but a PITA to do since you have to get into nooks and crannys.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...elete-diy.html