2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's the best cargo area cover?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure it's what you are looking for but I recently bought the Elemmat and I am really happy with it. I don't carry pets in my car but I carry musical instruments in my 2007 honda fit sport. I didn't want amps, mic stands, guitar cases etc ripping apart the thin cardboard and peach fuzz Honda calls upholstery (should be called APPALstery).

I bought that instead of the OEM cargo mat because I needed something to cover the whole cargo area. The one I got is black and matches the interior perfectly (of my fit sport). Some users mentioned that the material used for the elemmat can be bought at home hardware and it's probably true, but the Elemmat is custom cut to fit perfectly inside the trunk so that's worth the 110$ price tag since I can't be bothered to try and make an outline of my trunk and precision cut the thing myself. It features a trunk liner that you can leave on permanently and another rolled up piece that you can deploy over the folded down seats. The material is very rugged rubber and it looks like you could drive a train over it and it wouldn't get scratched.

Of course, you can't wash this in the washing machine but if you live in a hot climate, you could very easily hose it down or even sponge wash it in your car if you obviously don't use much water. A down side is that the mat is HEAVY. Even just one part must weigh about 15-20 pounds. It's not like you'll be carrying it around but folding and deploying the mat does take some effort since it is so rugged and bulky.

It's pricy but if you don't buy the OEM mat (and save 70$) it's an alright deal because you get a trunk mat AND full cargo mat in one for a little more. You can even get a couple dog paws printed on it if that's your thing.

demo:

Old 11-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Aly
Talking

I'm so glad you guys are giving so many ideas! I just bought backseat seat covers for my 2013 fit off of craigslist and they work fine but my dogs hair still shows up! I think i'll go get a double size fitted sheet just to have in my attempts to keep this car super clean!! Thanks!!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:16 AM
I bought one of these at Sear's and it fits great. I use it when hauling things and it protects the entire floor area and back of the front seats and headrests very well. If you want you could trim it down for a custom fit. Thick enough so no concerns for dog nails and not absorbant so clean up would be easy for any pet "accidents". When not in use just roll it up to store.

Best Step Antifatigue Foam Floor Mat - Black - Tools - Garage Organization & Shelving - Garage Flooring

_