2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Have you gone camping and SLEEPING IN your Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
That's cause this is 'Murica! Where we have fewer cars per capita and drive fewer miles per capital than Europeans .. but use more energy per person doing so than any other country. We're. Number. One!

Go figure. It probably should be illegal to idle anywhere, anytime. But all the trucks parked outside my last apartment delivering crap to crap stores indicate it isn't. Or the guy who idles his Camaro while waiting for the train every morning. Camaro man is regardless of AC need, I'll point out .. maybe just for the radio, or because he isn't smart enough to find the ignition key a second time after he turns it on, who knows.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
Yes many times. as mentioned above im 5'11 as well and its very doable solo.

did it once with my ex gf (5'9) it was cramped but worked

Old 09-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by magdalena
I couldn't really tell you, but not enough to make me not do it.
I hardly see a gallon taken.

But rather have AC on than be stuck in the heat. Next tuesday will be a breezy day with rain though.
Either way, it's cheaper than a hotel room

Old 09-23-2012, 10:49 PM
OK, I'm just back from Big Sur where I camped/slept (or tried to) in the back of my Fit. Trouble was my own fault, next time I'm sure it will work. I slid the front passenger seat forward, and tilted the seatback forward as well. Put my small duffle bag w/my clothes in the well between the back seat edge and the pushed passenger seat...and put pillows on the duffle. That gave me enough extra length to lie down without even angling much. (5'11", 240lb.) I had put two small moving pads down, still in their plastic (purchased at U-Haul) as my mattress. with a sheet over them.

That was my problem: I toss and turn a lot, and the plastic enclosed pads shifted, leaving my laying on the "bump" from where the rear seats fold. I have mobility problems and couldn't reposition the pads, so was awake the rest of the night.

NEXT time I will unwrap and distribute the pads, or maybe add a Thermarest pad to the floor.

On the plus side: I could get in and out through the passenger door ok by using the grab handle.

Paul H

Old 09-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by scott_fit
I might be breaking forum etiquette, but I always remember this post from another Fit forum re: sleeping/camping in our cars.
Awesome photos and creativity. Hope this gives some good ideas and what can be done:

Camping in your Honda Fit - Honda Fit Forum : Honda Fit Forums

Thanks for posting that... I'm gonna give what the guy in that post did on my next trip and save a little $$ on lodging!

Old 09-30-2012, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
I'll just add that from inside the car, the rear hatch has a small panel, opposite the outside handle. It's easy to remove that plastic panel with a flat-head screwdriver, and then you can reach in with a finger to pull the latch mechanism and open the hatch. I took that panel off three years ago for this reason and haven't put it back on since.

I've slept in the fit by my self and it was fine. I also found that feet need to be at the rear of the car, since it is slightly lower than the middle section.

For the summer, I bought mosquito net, and also a bunch of small but strong magnets from a hobby store. I used the magnets to hold the mosquito net on the outside of the car and make a pretty good seal.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Went camping this past weekend in the Fit and can say that it worked great... I followed pretty much exactly what the poster in the link on the first page did.. I couldn't find a piece of padding to put in the back though so I used a twin size inflatable mattress. It was the perfect width but was too long so I folded it in half almost and it worked pretty well after getting situated in it. If anybody has suggestion on what to use for foam padding it would be appreciated though... Takes a few mins to get settled with 2 people back there and the mattress moving around :P

Pic below of the setup..

Name:  IMAG0237.jpg
Views: 17913
Size:  119.7 KB

Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Camped two nights in my fit last weekend. Sorry I didn't take a photo. Pull the front seats and the seatbacks all the way forward. A twin size air mattress will lean against the seatbacks and on the centre console. I was surprised it didn't need any support in the footwells, but my 260lb 5'10" bad back of of a body was very comfortable. There was more room than in my '05 tC(definately more head room). I set a canopy over the hatch, and my supplies are in storage boxes.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by bmxman
Both my wife and I have slept in the back of our fit. We just moved the front seats foward and put all our stuff in the front seats and it was fine for 2 people. My only complaint is the lumpy floor surface. We fixed that the next time but getting a custom air mattress made to the Fits measurements.
Stayed in the back with my girlfriend, but no sleeping. Plenty of room for fun and games.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SMPRFit
Went camping this past weekend in the Fit and can say that it worked great... I followed pretty much exactly what the poster in the link on the first page did.. I couldn't find a piece of padding to put in the back though so I used a twin size inflatable mattress. It was the perfect width but was too long so I folded it in half almost and it worked pretty well after getting situated in it. If anybody has suggestion on what to use for foam padding it would be appreciated though... Takes a few mins to get settled with 2 people back there and the mattress moving around :P

Pic below of the setup..

I'm not gonna lie, that's looks super cozy. I've never actually slept in my Fit before, but I've had blankets and pillows in there to just chill out and lay down on some of my lunch breaks. It's been awhile since I've done that actually...

Old 11-17-2012, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member
I've slept in the back of my GD a couple times, lying on the folded-over back seats. I'm 5'8"/180 lb and have no problems in terms of length. You WILL need something to cushion yourself with, as it's uncomfortable lying on just the flat rear floor for extended periods of time due to the aforementioned bumps under the cloth.

And yes, your feet will be better served pointing toward the rear hatch.

More frequently, I've caught power naps inside my GD at about noon to 1 pm inside covered parking. The Recaros I have are actually really good for the job, despite the added labor needed to recline the seat back all the way down with a knob instead of a lever.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 AM
I actually slept in my GD3 last month when I went down to Austin. I'm 6' and I tried the back for a bit, but then I wanted to read a comic book and that lump where the seats bend was not comfy. Next time I'll take extra pillows and try the passenger front seat all the way down for more space.
Well I ended up sleeping in the driver seat reclined all the way back. Now that was comfy. Radio on, night light to read.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:28 AM
I'm 6'4" and skinny. I sleep fine in the back of mine. Park with the front pointed downhill and your head in the back. Pads help.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
Fit Camper

Paid campground Idaho. Use windshield sunshade to help block out light with front windows open slightly for ventilation

Back seats removed, hardboard base for box

Sleeping box installed recommend max height 5’9” for person sleeping. Top deck carpeted, back folding access with support added

Special back compartment for full set of golf clubs

Back 5 windows blacked out, keeps interior cooler in hot weather by up to 5 degrees. Design and build time 2 days

Split front hinged for single or double sleeping

Full set up showing split with supports. Front seats moved full for max length.

Storage trunk access for gear. Box weighs less than small rear seat.

Front box support, utilizing seatbelts bolted in to prevent box moving forward. Storage gap behind lower support for fishing rods. Hinges split front support to be stored back flat on box while travelling

My 2009 camper with roof box for additional golf clubs and storage. Picture-free campsite Balanced Rock, Idaho. Great site by cliff and river with washrooms, tables and fire pits

Canyon lands Utah, paid campsite

Back view setup for sleeping

Right side view showing storage on floor area

Double bed sixe approx. with 3 inch memory foam mattress...very comfortable
I have travelled extensively and find my set up is great. I bring only light camping gear for small items to be cooked or hot beverages but try and eat out mostly...too much hassle to camp and cook fully, rather golf or do some fishing.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
I like to keep things simple and light weight. If the bed is too high, it will be tough to get in and out.

Last edited by wasserball; 05-05-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:29 PM
Did u have the windows up and car locked? Is that little vent at the bottom enough

Did u have thewindows up and car locked? Is that little vent at the bottom enough ?

Originally Posted by Goobers
Well... over a period of 5 weeks, I took an 11,000 mile road trip. From Chicago, Colorado Springs, SLC, Vancouver, SF & SD, Dallas & Beaumont, "Tail of the Dragon" and finally NYC before heading back to Chicago.

Stayed at sister's place in SF for 4 nights. Folks place in SD for 6 nights. An Aunt for 2 nights in Dallas (or maybe only 1 night). Uncle for 2 nights in Beaumont, TX. A friend's place for 4 nights in NYC... and various motels for 5 nights (CS, SLC, Seattle, LV, near Dallas... didn't want to wake Aunt in middle of night). And in the Fit for the rest.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/off-...greetings.html

Incidentally... I am 6' tall.

Edit; best position, if you're by yourself in the Fit... front passenger seat ALL the way forward. Something stuffed in the gap between the front passenger and folded down rear seat (make it higher than the folded seat to make a "pillow"). And of course, you laying down diagonally (just like the picture in an earlier post here).

Old 11-05-2021, 05:50 PM
I've a GD but just spent two nights sleeping in the car. Since it was just 2 nights i just threw in an Ikea mattress (there was a sale for 3 for $10, I think they're for a couch or something, so a bit shorter than normal) and a sleeping bag. It's just long enough for me to fit stright by just moving the driver's seat forward. If you do this regularly and/or have a lot of crap, a platform might be worthwhile. You definitely want a mattress to smooth over the floor. I just folded the wider seat on the left, and ketp all my stuff in the trunk. This also let me get in bed from the rear passenger seat.

Also since it was within cities I had to stay inconspicuous, so the rear windows were blocked with sun shades and I slept with the head in the trunk part, under the cover so it wouldn't be immediately obvious if somebody looked inside. If I had the time, I'd rather use heavy tint on the rear at least. Since it was getting cold, some people put the sun shades on the windscreen to prevent frost, I did that too for privacy reasons