2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Fit that has been towed behind RV?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:34 PM
I guess my question is what sort of advice do you want from people here. If the only question you want answered is should you be worried mechanically about a car that was towed behind an RV, the answer is not really, contingent upon your mechanic's pre-purchase inspecting of the tranny not finding excessive metal. If you want advice on the total deal, well, it stinks.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
You should have changed your username to Rob Mealotte instead of Grinder12000.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks Wanderer. We are getting a better deal after an email to the company. I guess most here don't believe in KBB.

I doubt there are that many more miles on the car. A couple trips to Arizona perhaps. Tires are in good shape. I have a friend that has 50,000 miles on his Sport wheels and these have at least another 10K on them.

malraux - that WAS my only question! I really don't care about your opinion on the deal. I don't believe I ever asked for a "deal" opinion.

Like poker, $10 to one person is $5 and to another person $20.

Vandt - I have no idea what that means - probably good. Car forums are so aggressive testosterone laden it's embarrassing.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Well then you should ask the mechanic doing the inspection. Note, it'll increase the price of the inspection a bit since the best way to do that on this car is to do a drain and fill.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
I'm just messing with you lol. Was playing off your previous username Rod Melotte, making it Rob Mealotte (Rob Me a lot) since you're paying so much for it. Hopefully you get much more off than what you described here, but that's a hell of a thing for a dealership to do after sale has been finaled.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rod Melotte
Awesome forum. TY

We're about to buy a 2010 Sport. It looks like the previous owner towed it behind an RV or something. The odometer reads 32K but I suspect bearings and suspension have more miles.

Is this something we should worry about? Use as a way to lower price? (15,995 at the moment).

Any comments would be appreciated. We have obsessed over the car for a few days now. Wow. Impressed.

Depends on how the Fit was towed. If it was flat towed, meaning front wheels on the ground but towed in neutral there's no reason to suspect engine bearings but wheel bearings and tranny possibly. If it was towed with front wheels off the ground, the rw bearings probably aren't bad. Hopw's the tire wear? Rear tires should have half the wear of fronts in normal use.
The best way to get lower price is an offer lower with sale to back it up. Most dealers are taught to start high so they get the best priced. And check NADSA, Kelly, or other, including your bank for proper price. And yes 16k is a mite high; you can buy a new Fit for that, or almost.. A more realistic price isd Z$14,750 plus TTL. (tax, tags, and license)

Last edited by mahout; 09-25-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Depends on how the Fit was towed. If it was flat towed, meaning front wheels on the ground but towed in neutral there's no reason to suspect engine bearings but wheel bearings and tranny possibly. If it was towed with front wheels off the ground, the rw bearings probably aren't bad. Hopw's the tire wear? Rear tires should have half the wear of fronts in normal use.
The best way to get lower price is an offer lower with sale to back it up. Most dealers are taught to start high so they get the best priced. And check NADSA, Kelly, or other, including your bank for proper price. And yes 16k is a mite high; you can buy a new Fit for that, or almost.. A more realistic price isd Z$14,750 plus TTL. (tax, tags, and license)
Err, did you read any of the replies?

Old 09-26-2012, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kgb4187
Err, did you read any of the replies?
No, didn't have time. if I duplicated why not?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 AM
I tow our Fit behind a motorhome. I would not be worried about the car at all. The only problem I see is rocks and debris from the road. It sounds like they protected it just fine so I see no issues. The only thing to note is if it's an automatic you need to change the transmission oil sooner than normal as noted in the owners manual. If the person before you didn't follow the procedure correctly the transmission would be destroyed. As long as it drives fine than you can be assured it was towed correctly. I would buy it with no hesitation.

I do have to agree with others. These Fits maintain their value so well that for only a couple thousand more you can get a new one. I would probably just buy a new one. I recently was looking for a used Fit to tow behind our motorhome and all the late model used Fits were only a couple grand off a new one so we bought a new one. I just put the tow bar on last week. Mine is a manual transmission so there really isn't a procedure to tow. I just hook up and go!