2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual transmission to auto transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 01:13 PM
manual transmission to auto transmission.

Hello,
I need some quick information. I have a honda fit sport 2008 manual, is it possible convert it from manual transmission to automatic transmission ?

I love this car, unfortunately
I have an accident last month. Now I have a lot
of difficulty to drive this car, and at this moment, i don't want to spend too much money. If it is possible, how much is it approximate ?

Thank you.

p.s. i have 50k miles at my car.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
dam i wouuld love to see that i got a auto would love to tunr to stick

Old 10-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Time to sell and buy an auto. A conversion will run you more money than it would be to buy a new/used A/T Fit.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
A conversion, while possible, will not be cheep or easy. Probably costing seveeral thousand dollars if you have to pay someone to do it.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
If i were to sell the fit id just get a Lexus stick and call it a day

Old 10-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Wow sorry to hear. Yea you may be better off selling and getting another car vs. trying to find the time and funds for the swap. What you'll spend will pretty much be a down payment for a new/newer vehicle.

This is why I got my Fit Sport in an automatic. My DD is an '08 Mazdaspeed 3. Over the past few years driving in the Bay and prior accidents when I was younger back in Texas, my knees are not what they used to be. Being able to have my Fiance drive our Fit while I have time to relax some weeks M-F helps tons.

Not always easy to have the best of both worlds, but I like being able to have the option to drive stick or automatic any given day of the week.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, sorry to hear about your injury, op.

in the back of my mind i too sometimes worry if i was injured to the point i cant drive MT cars i would have to get another car. luckily these days there are more and more cars that have electronic clutch so it could be a good alternative. not getting younger you know. .

i think your best alternative at this point is to get a used AT car. as others mentioned, unless you are willing to put in the work (which might be difficult due to your injury) best to just swap cars.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Yes ... definitely swap cars .. easy enough to do. Presumably you need this done quickly and a transmission swap will require you to do several months of research, accumulate parts, etc. It's not just the transmission, but also the ECU and instrument panel and some trim pieces. Not worthwhile. Far cheaper to buy a used automatic, and if price is a concern just get something that depreciated faster. Not ideal - sorry to hear it - but you do what you have to do, ya?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Yes ... definitely swap cars .. easy enough to do. Presumably you need this done quickly and a transmission swap will require you to do several months of research, accumulate parts, etc. It's not just the transmission, but also the ECU and instrument panel and some trim pieces. Not worthwhile. Far cheaper to buy a used automatic, and if price is a concern just get something that depreciated faster. Not ideal - sorry to hear it - but you do what you have to do, ya?
Basically, this^

Old 10-15-2012, 03:29 PM
oh, Now I see what should I do. Well, I'll ask for a trade in first, check out how much my fit worth. :/ thanks you so much for all the kind information and opinion. i'm appreciate.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by carolus17
oh, Now I see what should I do. Well, I'll ask for a trade in first, check out how much my fit worth. :/ thanks you so much for all the kind information and opinion. i'm appreciate.
You can easily look up the blue book value of your car online; Kelly blue book, for instance, at Official Kelley Blue Book New Car and Used Car Prices and Values. It's good to go into the dealer or whomever with some idea up front what it's reasonably worth, lest they prove unscrupulous and take advantage of your naiveté.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Yeah... agreed... just sell your car and get an auto... but I guarantee you will be disapointed with the auto. I have both.. and the auto is no fun to drive.