2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Oil Level

My question is: after an oil change (and the oil level is checked on the dip stick), can the average driver drive BEFORE one would see a drop in the oil level on the dip stick?

Old 11-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
not sure what the question is, but if you measure right after you stop your car, the oil level will appear low on the dipstick.

check it in the morning before starting your car. you wont even need a paper towel to wipe the dipstick then. just pull up and check if the level is at or near the top dot. that said, checking your oil while at the pump is a bad idea.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:35 PM
gotta remember that after driving a lot of the oil is still circulated in the engine. I'd wait a good hour after the engine stops running to check your oil.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:43 PM
I think it depends on whether the engine uses oil or not.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by parmm
I think it depends on whether the engine uses oil or not.
i dont think ive read too much about oil consumption at this site..

my old GD and 4yr old GE never needed oil added after the fill.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:03 PM
I don't know for sure. I have driven over 7k miles since the oil was changed,
no oil has been added and it's around 1/8" below the full mark. Oil life is at
20%. 2011 Fit sport, oil changed by dealer, supposed to be 0w-20 but they
use bulk oil?

Clifton

Old 11-05-2012, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
yah, i wouldn't worry about the 1/8" below the top dot. it could be that your dealer only gave you 1/8" shy during your last change.

hey at least it's not like 3/4" over the top dot like wat my dealer did. lol

Old 11-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by flash75
I don't know for sure. I have driven over 7k miles since the oil was changed,
no oil has been added and it's around 1/8" below the full mark. Oil life is at
20%. 2011 Fit sport, oil changed by dealer, supposed to be 0w-20 but they
use bulk oil?

Clifton
I would not worry about that either. And the "fill nozzle" for the bulk oil is automatically measured, follow up the the mechanic checking it with the stick. Better a 1/8" below than a inch above it!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm aware that 1/8" low is fine, I thought I was trying to answer the OP question.

Clifton

Old 11-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Once the oil is hot, it will leak back down to the pan fairly quickly after turning off the engine. You don't need to wait an hour to check it. Maybe 5 minutes max.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
I would not worry about that either. And the "fill nozzle" for the bulk oil is automatically measured, follow up the the mechanic checking it with the stick. Better a 1/8" below than a inch above it!
yah, tell me about it! stupid dealer service 3/4" above top dot. this is one of the many reasons why 99% of the time i dont take my cars to the dealer for service.

Originally Posted by flash75
I'm aware that 1/8" low is fine, I thought I was trying to answer the OP question.

Clifton
i think we're all trying to answer the OP's question but the question is questionable.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Schoat333
Once the oil is hot, it will leak back down to the pan fairly quickly after turning off the engine. You don't need to wait an hour to check it. Maybe 5 minutes max.
lol, i normally wait a considerable amount of time because i manage to burn myself if i'm not paying attention...and you're right, an hour is a bit too long although i don't think 5 minutes is long enough, i'd say maybe 20.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sfar785
lol, i normally wait a considerable amount of time because i manage to burn myself if i'm not paying attention...and you're right, an hour is a bit too long although i don't think 5 minutes is long enough, i'd say maybe 20.
The irony of this debate is that it actually shows that the precise level doesn't matter.
As you noted, the oil is all over the place and the level goes up and down over 5min-1hour. At time=0 the oil is at 1 level, at time=1hour it's at another. And guess what, car works fine either way and at all points in between!
So it doesn't matter that much if it's not spot on on the dot.

I also always bring in the story of don't you actually drive your car, and what happens to the oil when you have to go up or down hill or Turn! or actually accelerate and brake, the oil is going to be all over the place again!

Then again, this is an oil threads, so it's your car, do whatever you want.
But it is almost insane to think that changing oil requires such precision and has zero tolerance compared to all the other parts of the car that that you never check at all.

I suppose this is just because oil change is pretty much the only common maintenance item that is ground into our brains.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by raytseng
The irony of this debate is that it actually shows that the precise level doesn't matter.
As you noted, the oil is all over the place and the level goes up and down over 5min-1hour. At time=0 the oil is at 1 level, at time=1hour it's at another. And guess what, car works fine either way and at all points in between!
So it doesn't matter that much if it's not spot on on the dot.

I also always bring in the story of don't you actually drive your car, and what happens to the oil when you have to go up or down hill or Turn! or actually accelerate and brake, the oil is going to be all over the place again!

Then again, this is an oil threads, so it's your car, do whatever you want.
But it is almost insane to think that changing oil requires such precision and has zero tolerance compared to all the other parts of the car that that you never check at all.

I suppose this is just because oil change is pretty much the only common maintenance item that is ground into our brains.
So true, and comical.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Better a 1/8" below than a inch above it!
Bingo!
Originally Posted by kenchan
i think we're all trying to answer the OP's question but the question is questionable.
Bingo again!
Originally Posted by Schoat333
So true, and comical.
Looks like another pinch-hitter reeled in some good catch! Have a great oil-change day everyone!

Old 11-07-2012, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
subie you saying we like to repeat ourselves?

BINGO! x10000000

Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by richsfit
My question is: after an oil change (and the oil level is checked on the dip stick), can the average driver drive BEFORE one would see a drop in the oil level on the dip stick?

If you fill the oil to the upper mark, not over, and install a fresh filter it only takes a fraction of a minute or two for the oil to fill the filter. Since the oil pumpo is a positive displacement pump, meaning there's no lag in flow, the lubrication is still by oil left in thed gallarieds and quickly by fresh oil pumped to thed lubrication places, tghere's no real damage to the engine as long as there's oil in the crankcase.
If youre worried about that momentary possible loss of lubrication fill your filter with clean oil before you screw it on. Rebuilders and race techs do that.
The resulting oil level on the dipstick ios about an eigth below the upper mark if that much. Won't hurt to leave it there.