2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
Wheel noise

I have an '09 Fit Sport with 57k miles. In the last week or two I've noticed an intermittent metallic/whining noise from the front passenger wheel. It is not constant but has gotten more and more present over the last week or two. Sometimes it seems to associate with turning (I could nudge the steering wheel slightly to the left and induce the noise). Other times it seems to come and go at random. I did notice that if I ever-so-slightly apply the brake it will generally stop until I let off. However, this isn't the same sound I typically associate with brake squeelers. I thought it might be a CV joint, but read elsewhere the sound was more of a grinding sound. Anyone have any ideas. Wheel Bearing?
Second question. I have never dealt with Honda Care, but had a HC ext warranty (7 year through Cross Country Motor Club, according to the card) transferred to me when I bought my Fit two years ago. If this is something in the wheel hub/cv joint, will my Honda Care cover it? The little card I have is for roadside assistance, but I'm assuming I'd just call that and start a claim rolling? I'm also assuming I'm obligated to use a Honda dealership. Sorry, I don't know the protocol.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by single_digit
I have an '09 Fit Sport with 57k miles. In the last week or two I've noticed an intermittent metallic/whining noise from the front passenger wheel. It is not constant but has gotten more and more present over the last week or two. Sometimes it seems to associate with turning (I could nudge the steering wheel slightly to the left and induce the noise). Other times it seems to come and go at random. I did notice that if I ever-so-slightly apply the brake it will generally stop until I let off. However, this isn't the same sound I typically associate with brake squeelers. I thought it might be a CV joint, but read elsewhere the sound was more of a grinding sound. Anyone have any ideas. Wheel Bearing?
Second question. I have never dealt with Honda Care, but had a HC ext warranty (7 year through Cross Country Motor Club, according to the card) transferred to me when I bought my Fit two years ago. If this is something in the wheel hub/cv joint, will my Honda Care cover it? The little card I have is for roadside assistance, but I'm assuming I'd just call that and start a claim rolling? I'm also assuming I'm obligated to use a Honda dealership. Sorry, I don't know the protocol.
Up until you said, "This isn't the same sound I typically associate with brake squeelers," that's exactly what I associated it with. I'd have the front pads checked/replaced.

edit: it could be the splash shields on the back of the rotors rubbing slightly, but your mileage leads me to believe it's pads.

Bad bearings make a thrumming noise that's pretty consistent

Bad CV joints will vibrate and/or make a clicking noise turning at low speeds

The powertrain warranty is good through 60k so the extended warranty doesn't need apply even if it's bearings or CV joints. Brake pads are not warranted though, so shop around. I think Honda gets about $250 for a front brake job.

Last edited by Steve244; 02-14-2013 at 12:17 PM.