2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

DO NOT USE FIX A FLAT. aka SENSOR KILLER

Old 06-27-2013, 04:57 PM
DO NOT USE FIX A FLAT. aka SENSOR KILLER

I used a can about 2,000 miles ago because of a bastard of a nail that created a slow leak of around 4psi per night

Fastforward approx 2 months, the TPMS error light pops on, it stays lit for 3 weeks.

Then the day before yesterday I had to use a can of fixaflat out of the blue for a fast leak that randomly appeared.

Now, I had done a tire rotation, so I had forgotten where the original bad tire was.

Definitely remembered when it was the same tire as before!

Took it to honda, as I at first had forgotten about the 2k mile ago repair.

They refused to replace sensor under warranty.

New plan, make use of Fort Hood's Sprockets automotive DIY shop, remove and clean sensor and inside of tire/rim, reinstall, drive around to see if its fixed, then if necessary get a REAL tire repair for the moment so I can save for new tires, then once again attempt a warranty claim if the sensor continues to be bad.

BOTTOM LINE FIX A FLAT ruins Honda tire pressure sensors

Is this common? Dont care, I didnt research. Could be common to hate fixaflat, I dont know.

Just dont do it!!! DONT!!!

This is why I should put my spare tire BACK into the boot. To prevent my dumbass from doing this crap again!

Old 06-27-2013, 05:09 PM
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-fix-flat.html

Sorry man

Cliffs:
Fix a Flat can ruin TPMS and they will deny warranty claim by using it.
Honda includes Fix a Flat with Canadian Fits because they don't use TPMS.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
This is why I should put my spare tire BACK into the boot. To prevent my dumbass from doing this crap again!
Good idea!

Fix A Flat should be for emergency use only, not slow leaks! But I guess you know that now.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Even though I have never used Fix-a-Flat.....this makes sense and I never would have thought of it. Good post!

Old 06-27-2013, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
BE CAREFUL when you take apart that tire.... Drain AS MUCH PSI out of it as possible before attempting to dismount the tire.

There is a reason tire shops charge something like an extra $75 to work on tires with that gunk in them....

Be safe!

Old 06-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by TPColgett
There is a reason tire shops charge something like an extra $75 to work on tires with that gunk in them....

Be safe!
Youtube link?

Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Most tire-repairs-in-ol-can are water soluable to a point.

Im thinking the old repair slowly deteriorated, and when I put the new stuff in, that was the last straw.

Surprisingly enough, Fixaflat responded in email, and said their "sensor-safe" label simply means you can clean them after use.

Kinda pointless, what if you are on a very long trip, and it seems to have fixed it, but then since error light is on, you dont notice low pressure from a slow leak?

Bye bye tires!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
I used to work at Discount Tire. People who used fix a flat was only for temporary fix, but it left A LOT of crap inside the tires and on the inside rim. Tires would be pretty much gone after use. Anytime there is a flat or slow leak, I just take it to Discount Tire and they will repair it for free. Sometimes those slow leaks are hard to find, but I still wouldnt ever use fix a flat. It can also make your wheel unbalanced.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
When they started introducing TPMS in the US models (GD and then GE), this info was all over many threads... ~07-~10, since then though I don't think it's been discussed much on the boards.

Hope you can just clean it off...

I've been keeping a tire plug kit (~$10, comes with over 20 "plugs" ) in the spare tire area along with a little crappy under powered air compressor ($15) for about 10 yrs now, I think I bought them both at Target, or Walmart. If you're a little handy, it's the best thing for flats. I've plugged a tire right on the shoulder of a hwy in under 10 minutes, afterwards I couldn't even tell where the plug was... and it lasted longer than the car.

If you can't clean it off, don't fret just buy a set off ebay for ~$60. Plenty of good reviews on those sensors.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Just wanted to update you guys, I have not yet gotten around to removing my tire and cleaning this crap away.

I did have to buy a tire repair/plug kit at walmart for under $7 and plugged TWO holes.

#1 original pin hoel caused form a construction staple
#2 from a ROUND small rock. Yes, ROUND. Pretty sad to see that these Dunlops are so cruddy after they get some mileage that a small rock can decide to challenge it!

Old 07-03-2013, 10:39 PM
most of those are for temporary and its for only short drive less than 100miles or on highways also make tires unbalanced.

nowadays some compact cars come with fix can kit rather than spare donut. manufactures say lighter weight = more fuel efficient. I rather have old style donuts with less mpg

Old 07-04-2013, 04:07 AM
I say Fawk fix it flat , I work at a tire shop and I notice that it eat the shit out of the wheels that's why I wouldn't use that

Old 07-04-2013, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
I used Fix a Flat on one of my tires that explicitly stated that it was safe for TPMS. But it ruined my TPMS sensor anyway so I had to have it replaced.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 PM
OK, no fix a flat stuff. My TPMS indicator came on this morning for the first time. The tires were at 30 psi instead of 33. I topped them all up with air and the indicator is still on.
Any idea why? Thanks for any insight.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like a bad sensor. That is the light that came on when my sensor went bad. That is typically what the "TPMS" light means. There is another indicator for low tire pressure.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks. Turns out it was the low pressure indicator and not the TPMS. I hadn't driven on it enough to register and it's off now. (I've only had my Fit a month, so I'm still learning my way around her.)

It's great to meet you all!