2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Potential New Fit Owner with Questions

Old 11-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Potential New Fit Owner with Questions

Hey guys, first post here! I'm going to be buying a new (or newER) car when I receive my end-of-year bonus in a couple months. I've been looking hard at the 2013 Fit Sport in taffeta white but after 2 test drives, I have a couple of questions / concerns...

1. The most important thing to me - is it going to be difficult to get this car into, say, a 0-60 time in the low-to-mid 8 second range? I'll never track this car and certainly never 'street race' it, but especially at Highway speeds the car doesn't feel like it can get out of it's own way. Acceleration is noticeably less brisk than the 2002 2.4L Camry I'll be trading in. I don't want a loud exhaust or anything, just a little more usable acceleration.

2. My only other main gripe I've found with the car - that fabric on the door panels. Has it held up well for you guys? I admit I'm nitpicky about things like that, but it doesn't feel like it would hold up and seems like it could get pretty gross over time. My fiancees Element door panels have no fabric on them which I like, because they don't get all soggy when the door is open and it's raining etc.

Anything else I should keep an eye on when I go in for a 3rd test drive tomorrow? Things you may not have noticed during your test drive but did notice later?

Thanks!

Old 11-01-2013, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Question manual or automatic? I have a manual and have no problem off the line at traffic lights or going up ramps. The car takes off pretty good which surprised me when I read some complaints on power. The manual 0 to 60 is 8.2 seconds according to Motor Trend and the 0 to 60 website. Honda 0-60 Times & Honda Quarter Mile Times | New Honda Accord EX, Civic Si 0-60, CR-V, Pilot, 2013 CRZ and Honda Vtec S2000 0 to 60 stats!

As for the fabric on the doors I have not really notice only the fact it seems to attract lint. But you could always do this: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...or-panels.html

Last edited by cjecpa; 11-01-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by carpenj
Hey guys, first post here! I'm going to be buying a new (or newER) car when I receive my end-of-year bonus in a couple months. I've been looking hard at the 2013 Fit Sport in taffeta white but after 2 test drives, I have a couple of questions / concerns...

1. The most important thing to me - is it going to be difficult to get this car into, say, a 0-60 time in the low-to-mid 8 second range? I'll never track this car and certainly never 'street race' it, but especially at Highway speeds the car doesn't feel like it can get out of it's own way. Acceleration is noticeably less brisk than the 2002 2.4L Camry I'll be trading in. I don't want a loud exhaust or anything, just a little more usable acceleration.

2. My only other main gripe I've found with the car - that fabric on the door panels. Has it held up well for you guys? I admit I'm nitpicky about things like that, but it doesn't feel like it would hold up and seems like it could get pretty gross over time. My fiancees Element door panels have no fabric on them which I like, because they don't get all soggy when the door is open and it's raining etc.

Anything else I should keep an eye on when I go in for a 3rd test drive tomorrow? Things you may not have noticed during your test drive but did notice later?

Thanks!
With two GE Fits in the garage, I'm willing to take a crack at this...

Item 1:
You didn't mention if you were testing a MT or AT... The road tests of the GE (2009 to current) Fit are pretty unanimous: 0-60 right around 8.5 sec for the MT; add about a second to that time for the AT. There's about the same time difference between the two for the 1/4 mile, so most of the penalty comes right at launch. Once they're rolling there's not much difference.

To get the most out of the Fit, you really need to let the engine rev out. Our older Fit (2009) pulls decently from about 2500 RPM, but really wakes up over 4500 and keeps pulling more and more strongly from there 'til the fuel cutoff just past redline. Of course, redlining the engine is not recommended until after break-in is completed, so do be kind to the motor in the car you're testing...

Item 2:
After 4 1/2 years and over 39,000 miles, the door fabric in the 2009 is doing just fine. A potential issue I've seen mentioned on the forum is the plastic shell under the fabric in the armrests: sometimes it can split, which could lead to a tear in the fabric after awhile. So far the 2009 is good (and it gets a lot more 3- and 4-passenger use than the 2010), but the 2010 seems to be starting a split on the front-passenger side. If that's a real concern, you might want to pull the door panels and reinforce this from the inside to prevent the split.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:07 PM
It will have to be an auto. Fiancee will have to drive it on occasion and doesn't do so well with manual. My original plan was the Civic Si sedan with the manual but it is a little more than I'd like to spend and, of course, manual transmission.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
1st and 2nd gear are really short and have some pretty decent acceleration. 3rd gear is where the Fit starts to feel sluggish. It certainly doesn't have the pull of my Camaro SS, but it's more than adequate for freeway on ramps.

I haven't noticed any issues. 2010 with 39k and they look fine.

My passenger side door lock will squeal sometimes when it's unlocked. Pretty annoying when it happens. I bought it last April with about 29k on the clock and it started happening right after 30k.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:01 PM

Off the line on this car is not really a problem. If you live in the hilly area, you are going to find yourself down shifting more. Especially, if you are loaded. On the highway, since this is a momentum car, it is easy to lose that momentum. Again, you have to down shift more.
You'll find that there is a some sort of a lag in the response, this is due to electronic throttle. Going to "S" mode will cure part of it but will not eliminate it completely. While in "S" mode, you have to treat it like a manual trany. You can not stomp on it and expect it to down shift for you. IT' IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Oh, it will affect your gas milage as well.
Another gripe is the electronic steering. It does not have a center feel that we like on a hydraulic system.

Interior materials suck big time on this car. Everything is on the cheap side, but it is holding up just fine. If you have a dog, make sure you have a cover for your seats. It attracts hair like magnets and it is not easy to remove. The paint on this car I think is just one coat, it is so easy to nick. Seats does not have enough cushion for long drive if you are old with a back problem like me.
There is no point of buying this car and try to modify it to make it faster. You buy this for the intended purpose. I know a few of the guys in here will say b/s but it is ok. most of them are young and they are having fun while doing it. But if you want more power, go civic si with a 2.4 engine and you will enjoy it better. Or, VW TDI, mini cooper (S), Kia 2.0 hatchback.

Test Drive other models and compare.
I hope this one helps

Old 11-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Fit M/T can do low 8 sec 0-60 easy stock, less than 8 with a good driver and decent tires. The auto is a little slower for several reasons. Did you test drive the A/T Fit? The 2.4L Camry is hardly brisk, my dad used to have one when they were new It was silver.

If you want to get the most out of a small motor it should always have an M/T attached to it. A/T is fine for big 4s 2L+. That is just my opinion of course...

The only fabric problem I have is carpet, and that's because I don't have floormat on driver's side.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Yeah I did test drive the A/T Fit. I agree, the 2.4 Camry is not a remotely quick car lol but seat-of-the-pants thrust is much more noticeable than the Fit to me. If I end up going with an M/T, it will be a Civic Si over the Fit. I've considered getting a used MK6 GTI with lower miles, but I'm not sure how I feel about the reliability of them and thus have been leaning more towards Honda and a few other non-German cars lol.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
2012 Sport M/T here(Taffeta White too!) Acceleration is no issue. It's a small displacement Honda! You want power, rev 'er! They are designed to take it when you need power, and sip fuel when you go easy. Minding the break in period, don't be afraid to rev it when you need it..

Old 11-01-2013, 07:25 PM
seat-of-the-pants thrust is much more noticeable than the Fit to me.
Because torque from an extra liter of displacement.

Just need more revs to make up for the Fit's lack of such a thing and use ALL of the gear you are in, thus the M/T recommendation. Or get the Sport A/T with paddle shifters and tag limiter (ECU will let you I assume? idk)

The power is there if you need it, but you're going to make a lot of noise to get it I don't mind it but people coming from larger displacement motors seem to get scared by all the ruckus.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:44 PM
A/T? just put on S mode and flip the paddle to make 'M1' and then shift at 6800rpm...next gear rpm will be about 4600rpm then you will be ok....
if you dont put on 'M1' mode, trans will shift at 6200rpm and when it goes into next gear, it is around 4100rpm, and you will lose acceleration.

mine is at 50k...bought it at 30k 4 months ago...interior is fine..i use it as my work car

Old 11-02-2013, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member
I have an auto. When entering on ramps I like to leave it in 3rd and take it up to 5 thou or so. Rather peppy. I do not have paddles here in Canada. I have no trouble merging. If anything I have to back off

Door fabric - I replaced mine

Name:  006-6.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  66.6 KB

Go here for DIY https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1021459

Old 11-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Dang! That is cool. I like it very much.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by revelat10n
My passenger side door lock will squeal sometimes when it's unlocked. Pretty annoying when it happens. I bought it last April with about 29k on the clock and it started happening right after 30k.

I have the same issue but on the drivers side.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts, guys! I think I've decided to go with a '13 Civic EX sedan in the dark silver color. It's brand new obviously, but has 1,180 miles on it so I think they are going to work with me a little on the price (though I'm not sure how much of a discount I should try to get based on that). I figured that with my fiancee having the Element for hauling a bunch of stuff, I'd get something different that maybe rides a little smoother and gets a little better gas mileage possibly.