2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Warm air through vents and condensation

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:24 AM
Help! Warm air through vents and condensation

I have an 09 base fit with 274k, I have noticed excessive condensation behind the center console when the air is on. Sometimes when I make a turn water falls on my leg. Also, when I have it set to fan only, cool, outside air, I get slightly warm air coming through the vents even when it is chilly out.

My guess is that somehow coolant is running through the heater core all the time. I think when the ac is on and cold air blows across the heater core it seems to be causing the condensation.

Anybody else have this issue or know enough about the system to point me in the right direction?

Old 10-24-2014, 11:42 AM
The heater core is always active (by design) on the Fit. The temperature knob simply routes the air around or through it. The warm vent air comes mainly because there is a bunch of ductwork and dashboard and heater core and so forth that gets warm, and it takes a long time for it to cool down (in the case of the dash/ducts) while traveling. At any rate, it's normal for the Fit.

(If you think the Fit is bad in that regard, don't drive a traditional full-size van, where there's a big hot engine literally underneath the dashboard and next to your leg!)

Condensation results from the air conditioner cooling the air; you don't get condensation when warming air. It sounds as though the drain hose for the condensate is plugged or perhaps leaking somewhere.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Thanks, any idea on how to check/locate the condensate drain?

Old 10-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
there's a small hose under the car around the passenger seat foot well.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by DrewE
The heater core is always active (by design) on the Fit. The temperature knob simply routes the air around or through it. The warm vent air comes mainly because there is a bunch of ductwork and dashboard and heater core and so forth that gets warm, and it takes a long time for it to cool down (in the case of the dash/ducts) while traveling. At any rate, it's normal for the Fit.

(If you think the Fit is bad in that regard, don't drive a traditional full-size van, where there's a big hot engine literally underneath the dashboard and next to your leg!)

Condensation results from the air conditioner cooling the air; you don't get condensation when warming air. It sounds as though the drain hose for the condensate is plugged or perhaps leaking somewhere.
I don't know much about the car's HVAC but I believe there is a design (cost) issue on new cars. I've never had these problems in the past and I don't hear of any (not that I go looking for it) entry luxury brands having this problem - it would be unacceptable.

I have the same problem but can't find any logic to its occurrence. Say it is cool outside. On "some" days If the fan is on, air comes in the cabin hot. I turn off fan and just open recirc, air is noticeably cooler, like outside temp.